Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Here is a link to the waffle dog iron patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2696161.pdf

I've searched on the internet and can't find a Claude J Hicks in Wisconsin or nearby states so I'm assuming he's "departed".

I'm looking into pattern making which should lower the cost of the castings.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 pm

eamarquardt wrote:Here is a link to the waffle dog iron patent:

That looks like the electric version.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:34 pm

parnold wrote:
eamarquardt wrote:Here is a link to the waffle dog iron patent:

That looks like the electric version.

Sure does but that's the patent number on the manual version also. I think the patent is actually for the waffle pattern supporting the sausage shape.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Interesting, kinda like double-mint gum. Two patents in one!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Any more word on the pattern making? and would it produce a final product the same size as the origional?

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi,

I've contacted a real live professional pattern maker and he's generously offered to coach me through the process. So, I'll be visiting his shop soon and learn the ropes.

The upside of using the original as a pattern is that it makes the process easier. The downside is that the new castings will be about 1% smaller. I seriously doubt that anyone, other than one using a ruler or caliper, will ever notice that the reproductions are 1/16" shorter than the "real deal".

It will probably be summer time before I make any real progress. Getting ready for a lawsuit right now (against AT&T/Sedgwick CMS, the evil empire) and a few other high priority projects.

Stay tuned.

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Postby DragonFire » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I still haven't located a real WD iron, so I'm still in. Darn close to closing a deal on my big trailer, which opens the door to buying a truck and cleaning and outfitting the Grasshopper for camping. So it's fine by me that it's not ready to roll right now.

Good luck with the lawsuit!! Hope you win! :thumbsup:
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi, any word on this? I'm still interested, if anyone else is. :D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi,

I"ve been distracted and don't have the energy right now to pursue. I will call the Pieiron folks this week and see if they're interested in using their overseas supplier to produce them. It seems to me that adding the waffle dog iron to their product line would be a profitable thing to do. Also, after seeing some videos of folks using the irons at gatherings I think it would be better to relocate the hinge mechanism from the side to the end like the pie iron designs. It would be, IMHO, far easier to use with the hinges at the end of the iron versus the side.

http://www.pieiron.com/designs.htm

Will post what I learn.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:39 am

Gus....I'd double think the hinge at the end of the iron. That makes the entire thing really long to fit on a stove, whereas on the side you can pre-heat both sides on 1 burner and the entire thing won't be 2x as long when opened. Without handles, right now it's 14" if hinged on the ends. Batter can also easily be poured into both sides and it can be closed up quicker with less run out issues. I have a cast iron one that was custom made from a mold taken off an original. It was just a quick knock off he only ran 5 of them, took some time with a die grinder to clean it up, but it does cook really well and holds the heat better than the aluminum. Way heavy however! Shown without handles.
Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 pm

doug hodder wrote:Gus....I'd double think the hinge at the end of the iron.....................................

Here are my thoughts:

All waffle irons have the hinges at the opposite end of the iron from the handles.
All of the Pie Iron products have the hinges opposite the handles. http://www.pieiron.com/designs.htm
No matter where the hinges are, if you pour batter in both halves yer gonna have to be a bit creative in closing the iron while not spilling the batter out. Maybe a little bit more awkward with the hinges at the end but I don't think it's a that major a deal.
I've watched the videos of youse guys using the original waffle dog irons and seen the efforts, such as using vice grips, to keep the irons closed while in use. I think having the hinges opposite the handles would help a lot.
It does make the assembly twice as long when open but the closed length of the waffle iron would remain the same. I think the improvement in keeping the iron closed during use would be worth dealing with the additional length when open.
I agree being able to heat both sides at the same time is a plus but the waffle dog iron is the only item of this type that has that feature. You can't do that with the PieIron products or waffle irons (unless you take the waffle iron apart and heat the halves on two separate burners.

I'll poke around a bit more this week. Getting the castings ($50 a set) isn't a big deal. Then you have to add the handles,drill out the hinges, and rivet the halves together. I think having jigs would make doing a lot easier and ensure the job is done right but I don't have the energy to make em right now.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Dean used vice grips as he way overstuffed the iron with too many ingredients. Others have had no keeping it closed issues.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Rather than change a design that works, wouldn't it be easier to simply drill and tap new holes for the handles that are located opposite of the existing hinges? Just a thought...
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Change!

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Kevin A wrote:Rather than change a design that works, wouldn't it be easier to simply drill and tap new holes for the handles that are located opposite of the existing hinges? Just a thought...

I was unaware for the reason clamps were being used due to "overload" as "all I know is what I read in the newspaper" and see on YouTube. Moving the handles to opposite the hinges would, though, give you a better mechanical advantage to hold the two halves together during "overloads".

As far as moving the handles goes: Excellent suggestion! That's certainly a viable option that would accomplish the same thing as moving the hinge opposite the existing handles. One might have to add some bosses for the extra meat needed to drill and tap for the handles but adding bosses to the pattern would be easy enough. Actually you could leave the current bosses there, add new bosses that are also drilled and tapped and then you would have the option of using the iron either way. A win/win!

I'll make some calls tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

The more I watch this ... the more I'm interested. I like the idea of having bosses for the handles either way.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron