cast iron + kamado-style cooker?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

cast iron + kamado-style cooker?

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 pm

I recently purchased a kamado-style cooker for the house.

Unlike the true ceramic kamado cookers, this one is made of dual layer, sheet steel. Besides being significantly less expensive than a ceramic cooker, it is light enough that I can throw it into the back of the truck for use while camping.

While doing my first cook, the idea came into my head that this cooker could be used for cast iron cooking. Just place a dutch oven or two (stacked) into the cooker. They use very little charcoal - I ususally use lump - and the temperature is easily regulated for long cooks. Would this be cheating to use this cooker for cast iron cooking?

BTW - Here is a picture of two Boston Butt pork shoulders that I cooked/smoked. I set them on the cooker at 10:00 pm and the next day at around 11:00 am they were ready. The cooker temperature was 225-250 degrees. It only used about 3-1/2 to 4 pounds of lump charcoal amd four chunks of hickory for the entire 13-hour cook/smoke.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: cast iron + kamado-style cooker?

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

As long as it will fit inside a kamodo is just an oven. I can't think of anything I can't cook on ours....steaks seared, and pizza baked at 600 degrees or butt at 225. They will do it all.

The trick is to remember, if its open...you ain't cookin.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PSBreen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Tom,

That cooker certainly looks interesting. I can't read the name brand to check it out. Can you give us a little more info about it?
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

PSBreen wrote:Tom,

That cooker certainly looks interesting. I can't read the name brand to check it out. Can you give us a little more info about it?

Steve,

It's a Char-Griller Akorn. I got at Lowe's for $299. The Char-Griller Kamado Kooker and King-Griller are also the same, except they havewood wrapped handles and side tables.

I had been looking for a long time at ceramic kamodo's - Big Green Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, etc. - but they're $800-$1000. They're probably worth the extra money, but that's a little rich for my finances. (The Char-Griller at $300 was a stretch for me.)

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby JeremiahO » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Check out the big green egg site's forum. Its got tons of threads on dutch oven cooking. (I'm currently saving for my egg) :D
JeremiahO
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

I love my BGE. The only thing is I wishi had bought a "bubba keg" with the 2 inch receiver adapter...I could then easily bring it with the teardrop. Sadly,it appears that company sold the rights, and then that company imploded :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Lots of folks on the BGE forum use dutch ovens in their eggs. I don't (usually) because it seems redundant, like putting an oven in an oven.

When you get around to trying a brisket, keep it simple. I see lots of people's posts and they over complicate it, and definitely NO MUSTARD!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PSBreen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the info Tom. I've been looking for a new grill and maybe a smoker. This one is certainly interesting and looks like it'll do both.
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby honeask » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the post Tom. I have been interested in those type of cookers for a long time. We have a friend with the BGE and he is forever boasting about it. We have a huge smoker that we had made in Houston but when we downsize it really will be too big for a smaller area. I want one of these, JEALOUS!
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

Check out the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Higher capacity, much less expensive that a BGE, built to last and works great.

Lots of info at: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 pm

The metal smokers like that use a lot more a knot more fuel, and tends to dry things out. The Kamodo cookers don't, they keep tHings very moist. I love my BGE...absolutely the best money I spent for my garden/patio. There really isn't anything better.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cast Iron