Made an "ERIE" find in Delaware

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Made an "ERIE" find in Delaware

Postby BillZ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:59 am

I was driving through the Eastern shore of DE and MD on Friday and stopped at a few antique shops along the way.

One I stopped at seemed to be catering more for the "Shabby Chic" design theme. These folks usually pay more attention to decorative value rather than collector value. I went through the place and found a few fairly common CI skillets but it was so packed full of stuff, I asked the clerk if she knew where any more cast iron pieces might be. She looked around quickly and said, "here's a griddle down under this table". I saw that it was small, about 8" and initially wasn't interested but thought again and asked her if I could have a look at it. The bottom was a bit rusty and the room was dark but after looking at it closely, I saw "ERIE", then I saw the price tag of $15.00!

Needless to say, I held my excitement and quietly bought it right away. This is my first pre-Griswold ERIE find.

Now I want to get a electro set up to clean this piece. The cooking surface should be good but the bottom might need a little extra care.

BillZ
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron