First Gathering - First Cast Iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

First Gathering - First Cast Iron

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 pm

I am officially ready for my first gathering with my first cast iron.

I had at first bought the 10" skillet. Then I started thinking I would probably want to get a dutch oven. But knowing how easy it is to get carried away with this stuff I decided to return the skillet and get the combo cooker, so now I have essentially a griddle, a skillet and a dutch oven all in one. I am going to test it out tomorrow night with Debbie's (Nevadatear) pork chops and apples recipe.

It's sort of amazing that I have never owned cast iron. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve my mother and grandmother cooking up their amazing southern recipes in cast iron skillets.

Bob Henry, save me a seat at your dutch oven cooking class. I'm going to need it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: First Gathering - First Cast Iron

Postby BillZ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:50 am

Becky,
I recently got into using cast iron skillets and griddles and am really pleased with the results. Many things I cook just come out better. Eggs are more like what you get at the local Diner. Don't know quite how to describe it, maybe it's the consistency but they cook up better. Meat sears better on cast iron. Potatoes brown better.

It takes a few tries to get used to it but I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby desertbug » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 am

I have been using cast iron forever and love it. I even use it at home, just cooks most things better. You will love it. Was checking out your toaster and I had one but hated it the toast always burned at the bottom and didn't cook on the top. :x So had the spouse make me one from the bottom of a coffee can and some wire, it is like the one his uncle made that he used when he was a kid and the family went camping. You can only make one slice at a time but it all toast even. Still as long as the eggs and spuds are good that is all that counts.
desertbug
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 am

dont know how many you are cooking for but if it was me i would get a dutch oven 8'' for 2 a 10'' for 3-4 a 12'' for 5-8 for gatherings a 12 is best and got to camp cook for some good cooking recipes and how to season and using you oven
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 pm

bc toys wrote:dont know how many you are cooking for but if it was me i would get a dutch oven 8'' for 2 a 10'' for 3-4 a 12'' for 5-8 for gatherings a 12 is best and got to camp cook for some good cooking recipes and how to season and using you oven

Enabler. :lol:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Corwin C » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Perfect toast ... use real unsalted butter and bread of your choice. Butter both sides (it doesn't take a lot). Lay flat in your favorite pre-heated cast iron cookware, turn over when golden brown and delicious and toast other side. This also works for hamburger buns, hot dog buns, croissants, bagels, etc. If the pan is already warm from making breakfast, it's actually faster than a toaster and IMHO gives better results.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron