Loving my DO's, but question?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Loving my DO's, but question?

Postby citylights » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I got a 10 and 12 inch shallow DO and a cast iron skillet a bout 2 months ago. Been experimenting and having a great time with them. I have a family of three, wife, 13 year old boy, and me.

But I want to add one more DO and I am not sure what would be best? What I have is plenty for my family... Well maybe I could use just one more. Then I could cook main dish, side dish, and a cobbler all at the same time! :)

But what I really want to be able to cook more or more variety for guests. Also, what size is recommended for cooking a 12-14# turkey?

I am thinking I will either add a 12 inch deep DO, (if I give up on the turkey idea). OR I will get one big enough to do a turkey. Would one big enough to do a turkey be useless for anything else? Too big or heavy to be practical?

What do you suggest?

Also, I am thinking about getting a DO table. Good idea or not?

Thanks! I appreciate any advice.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Loving my DO's, but question?

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I normally cut up my chicken and lay it in layers in the DO. I think you could do the same with the Turkey. I have a 10", a deeper 10" and and 12" and rarely use the 12" as it is so big for 4-6 people. The 12" is good for cooking pizzas layered in foil. I usually stagger my meals that need a dutch oven so I do not need any more than 2. I can cook a vegetable on the Coleman, or desert is over the fire, or meat grilled over the fire and vegetable and dessert in the DO. I considered buying a smaller one (6 or 8") as the 10" is really too big for a dessert for 4 but then decide against it as they take up space and add weight. I also started cooking many of vegetables with my meats all in one Dutch oven for less cleanup. Add rice, add vegetable and add meat, seasoning a liquid and cook all in one pot.

A 14" Dutch oven should fit your turkey (may have to cut to flatten some, depending on depth of oven), but I think it is way overkill for a family of three . I have only used a 14" for large gathering or on boy scout event with lots of hungry boys. I like my 10" Lodge dutch oven but for the price you can get three at harbor Freight. I bought my other from harbor Freight and they are raw cast iron but after seasoning it it works just as good for 1/3 or less of the Lodge price. After several outing is is almost the same dark color as the preseasoned Lodge.

As for a table (I think they are too heavy and take up too much space) I would just get you one of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant13-Qu ... B000FJX8C8. They help contain the charcoal, provide some wind break (for the bottom coals) and make cleanup easy (Just let it cool and dump ashed into fire pit or trash). You can stack your ovens to cook all at once.
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jonw » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:02 pm

I save large turkeys and chickens for the smoker and use my 12in. deep DO and 10in camp DO for chili, stews, dump cakes, and for baking bread.

Just bought a 10in Wagner 1891 cast iron griddle on eBay that I'm looking forward to seasoning and using for pancakes, french toast, etc. Unfortunately it was poorly boxed and it fell our during shipment and broke a chunk out of one side when it hit something. I'm hoping a welder will be able to fix it for me...

One nice thing about cast iron is that it works great with induction cooktops...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 pm

citylights wrote:Also, I am thinking about getting a DO table. Good idea or not?

We use a metal oil changing pan I got from NAPA. Lighter and easier to pack than a table but not as handy.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the oil pan suggestion, I have two of those and have been using them. I just thought I might like getting the DO up to counter height. I found a DO table in the store. $80 and heavy! I didn't get it, but maybe someday...

I also looked at some big DO. A 14 inch was lodge, but that was the biggest lodge they had. They also had an off brand 16 inch. I think the 16 would do the whole turkey... I think. But they are too big and heavy and I think I would only use it once a year. Unless somebody convinces me otherwise, I will go with a 12-inch deep DO. If I cook a whole turkey, I will take a cleaver to it and make it fit!

OMG! Dinner was so good tonight! I fried some double smoked Black Forest bacon in a Dutch Oven, removed the bacon and browned some flower tossed turkey breast pieces, then I put three sliced potatoes, a jumble of carrot chunks, a sliced onion, a cup of chicken broth, and a half cup of water, and the bacon back in, salt, pepper, covered and simmered for 45 minutes. Dutch Oven Turkey Stew! OMG, so good!
citylights
500 Club

Postby steve cowan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:37 am

John ,

Have you seen a picture of board member Bob Henry's dutch oven table? It's made from a discarded satellite dish and walker frame with a couple of
bucks of hardware.Very neat idea!

Steve
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi John,
You might check on Vedette's thread on this forum "DO Turkey Day" as there are some responses there which address what you are asking. Also, Cliff U. showed his method with a garbage can as a cooker. And BobHenry has a great repurposed table from a satellite dish (mentioned on this thread by Steve C).

Dutch Oven tables are wonderful, but watch out for the weight. When my husband and I are camping in a set location for a few days, and multiple black pots cooking, we use his "heavy duty" dutch oven table for cooking. We have the galley of the TD to prep food on or a collapsible aluminum Coleman table. Something I found works really well for a small cooking table is a foldable bistro ( patio) metal wire mesh table. You often see them in the seasonal summertime items, and I have used that to cook on as well as eat off of for two people. Another suggestion is to go to a scrap metal (or junkyard) and pick through some of the items there. In our Dutch Oven club we have seen some very useful and unique tables made from plant stands, plow discs, pizza pans, etc.

If you want to stay with the shallower size DO ovens, considering doing a turkey split to make it fit. :D A 12 " inch deep is very versatile. Also, check out the link below for OCIC to see our recipe for turkey and turkey soup in a DO.
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby citylights » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for all the info! I picked up a 12-inch deep DO today. Doing a three high cook tonight to break it in! Bottom, meatloaf. Middle, cheesy potatoes. Top, pumpkin crumb cake!
citylights
500 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 am

:D :D Go, John, go! Castironitis can only be cured by using and cooking in them frequently.....bon appetite! :) TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby bc toys » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 pm

John hi there as for what DO you should get I think another 12 reg or deep rather would be good for you. If you are looking for a table I made some and I got 1 for sell it is all welded no ribbits wind guard is higher then DO on back it is 21x40 all steel but I'm asking 75$ you need to go on Las Vegas Dutch Oven Enthusiasts and find a gathering that fits your time and come out and meet everyone and cook with us.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Vedette » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:54 pm

We must be Big Eaters?
As we started out with a Lodge 12" Regular on Dean & Joanie's recommendation.....We Love it!
It was great for 4 to 5 people.
But, when we started to entertaining more with DO we realized dessert would be fun ....so along came the 8"
But when my boys came home for a visit the 12" just did not cut it........so along came the 14".
Now "Two" large chickens can go in the pot with enough spuds, carrots, onions, and parsnips to feed our whole family.
Feeds 6 to 8 as a main course!
But then that changed the amount of dessert required..........so along came the 10".
Thank You Lodge!..............a pot for every occasion or combination.
We have since added our newest favorite, a #10 Griswold frying pan (use it everyday in place of those cheesie non stick pans.
And our #9 Waffle Iron ...which we have yet to use.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby citylights » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Vedette wrote:We have since added our newest favorite, a #10 Griswold frying pan (use it everyday in place of those cheesie non stick pans.
Brian & Sandi

I am just waiting for the day they announce that the non-stick pans cause cancer! That and for the day they say that energy drinks are bad for you...

Anyway I use a couple of stainless pans in the kitchen. They are really hard to use though. You really have to be careful about temperature or everything sticks and burns.

I grew up with my mom using a cast iron frying pan. I just might have to get me one!
citylights
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 am

John's original statement....But what I really want to be able to cook more or more variety for guests. Also, what size is recommended for cooking a 12-14# turkey?

So here I am dragging up this old thread to tag on.......

Look what was GIVEN to me this weekend at the Illinois gathering.............

almost as big as a beach ball

turkey fits over the cone which has vents to allow you to cook from the inside as well as outside. It has vents so cooking over coals as I plan should give you that smokey flavor

See the notch at 10 o clock ! The thermometer can be inserted into the turkey from there to monitor the progress with out opening the lid.

The diffuser plate is to spread the heat of a burner or a camp fire to avoid hot spots.

A big thank you to pigcooker thanks Doug and Nan.

( Bird cooker) Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Nice!!! I want to come over to Bob's place next Thanksgiving! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Wow! My dream come true! A DO turkey oven. I am going to have to look that up!
citylights
500 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron