New (to me) Piece

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

New (to me) Piece

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:25 pm

It's hard to find cast iron at yard sales and in the second hand stores in Los Alamos. The town was created out of whole cloth in 1942, and the fashion in kitchens was MODERN, and in camping was LIGHT WEIGHT. Not many people brought their classic cast iron with them when they moved here, as it was heavy and old-fashioned, and in the early days people thought they would be moving back home after the war, anyway. Santa Fe is just a bit better, but there people seem to hang on to their old cast iron more.

Yesterday, though, when I was dropping off outgrown kids clothes at one of the second hand stores, I found a thoroughly scoured (or never used, or cast aluminum) corn bread stick pan. I've wanted one for years, but since my kids aren't really fans of cornbread :shock: I just couldn't justify a new one for myself. This one was 4 dollars, and I decided it was mine. I'll spend some time today seasoning it and make some cornbread sticks (and regular bread sticks for the little kill-joys) tomorrow with my white bean and chicos chile stew (it's vegetarian for Meatless Monday).

[img]122615[/img]

[img]122616[/img]

Oh, and The Town That Never Was

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: New (to me) Piece

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Oh, and here's Maui, because dear daughter thinks I should post his picture, and because he weighs as much as a cast iron doorstop.

[img]122614[/img]

I didn't even fix his eyes. Oh, I mean, his eyes glow like this naturally! :twisted:

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Just yum!
[img]122655[/img]
The first seven are more well-colored, as I had the pan in the oven preheating before I put the batter in. I added to my recipe that I should heat the empty pan again before pouring the second batch of batter in, as well.

Dear son ate two, but decided he still isn't a fan of cornbread. Dear daughter discovered the joys of honey on cornbread. The last I counted, she was up to four.
:lol:
Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby citylights » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Oh! Those are for making corn bread! I always thought they were for roasting miniature ears of corn! I was going to get a set but could never find the corn small enough!
citylights
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 am

City if you are into cooking in DO's then you need to come out to some of our DO gathering I'll let you know when and where the next one is we have a great time most of us have tiny trailers as well so we camp a lot together
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby citylights » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 am

bc toys wrote:City if you are into cooking in DO's then you need to come out to some of our DO gathering I'll let you know when and where the next one is we have a great time most of us have tiny trailers as well so we camp a lot together

Thanks for the invite! Yes, I have been bit by the DO bug! And YES! I am looking for camp opportunities. I would like to join a local group. :thumbsup:

I am headed for Duck Creek, Utah this weekend for the Art Fair and chili cook off. :FNP
citylights
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron