A pan that won't season

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

A pan that won't season

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sat May 02, 2015 6:18 pm

I picked up an off brand 12 inch skillet really cheaply. I've tried about anything anyone has suggested for seasoning and some parts just won't hold the season. I think from how it appears that that's are impurities in the metal. Has anyone else had that experience. I do have several pieces that season just fine.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A pan that won't season

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 am

Load it with about 2 cups of white vinegar and continue to fill to about 3/4 full with water and boil this mixture for 8 to 10 minutes. Use a lid or foil cover it for best results. If you have a glass lid that size you can keep an eye on the progress. Not knowing what kind of contamination is causing your problem this is at best just a wag. Please let us know the outcome.

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 am

I'll give that a shot later today and let you know.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jim.Johnson » Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 am

I'm going to call what I've done so far a possible success. I scoured it out good and boiled the vinegar water. Then I scoured some more and repeated the vinegar. The metal didn't look right. It had shiny streaks like maybe the threw in a couple of old Ford bumpers in the batch. Anyway I put it through four rounds of seasoning and maybe have something that will work. I fried a couple of eggs without a sticking problem. Then I just wiped out out and did a fried rice and vegetable combo. Some of the rice stuck but loosened easily with a neoprene scraper. I've gone pretty light on cleaning and will do some more frying. Thanks for the suggestion and we'll see how it goes long run. I'm not sure why I'm trying so hard when I can get a new Lodge from Amazon for $30. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 04, 2015 11:15 am

Old iron is like us old folks we all still need love.

I have never given up on a single piece of old iron and there was one or two in particular it would have been easier but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Use that skillet for a couple weeks as your regular kitchen go to skillet and I think you will be rewarded with a nice piece of vintage iron for years to come.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron