Wapak?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Wapak?

Postby Patti » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:16 pm

I saw a video awhile back about vintage cast iron, and it mentioned Wapak. The guy really liked Wapak and said it wasn't quite as heavy as other cast iron. That appeals to me and I've been looking at it on Ebay, but wondered if anybody here is familiar with it and whether you agree that it's good stuff and lighter weight.

My second question is--where do you get your beeswax for seasoning? I've been using organic vegetable shortening.
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Re: Wapak?

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:03 am

Wapac cast iron is kinda like hitting the lottery the pieces are highly sought after and general never resurface until the owners death. Look in the dark corners of flea markets and sales for some good vintage pieces and don't get hung up on brand names. One of the better performing pieces I wound up with was a total surprise and a bit unusual being configured as a sauté skillet. It had a nicely machine finished interior with the obvious rough backside showing gate mark and all. I was in a rush and grabbed it for 3 or 4 dollars. When I got it home and gave it a closer examination while cleaning and seasoning it ( with bees wax) my heart sank. It was stamper "korea" in the casting on back. I learned something that day ! This skillet is most defiantly pre WW2 and may have came home with one of our boys. This older cast iron piece cooks very well. The sad note could have been that as a bigoted cast iron snob I would have never purchased this piece had I not missed the little stamping in the back "KOREA" . Trust your eyes and the feel of the casting close your eyes and let your fingers feel the back side for gate marks and pour vent evidence these features speak far more than a simple trademark. I have gotten to the point if it doesn't have a heat ring I simply set it back and am not interested. Of the 200 plus pieces of cast-iron I have my five or 6 favorites. Of these favorites not a single one has a trademark of any kind on them.

As to the bees wax I found a huge block in a health food store. Don't let the price scare you :shock: I think I paid over $20.00 for a good size block but it has outlasted 40 + re-seasonings and two years of service so it was a great investment. The best of all you will not believe the difference in cooking performance and ease of cleaning that comes with the bees wax treatment.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Patti » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the info. The reason the wapak appealed to me is because of it being lighter weight, that's all. I have three skillets, a 100-year-old stove top dutch oven that belonged to my great-grandmother, then my grandmother, and now me. And some small skillets and... well nowhere near 200!

Now that I know where to look, I'll find some beeswax. Is the only way to use it reseasoning, or can you rub a little on between uses?
Patti
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:02 pm

I use the bees wax routinely for touchups after washing. Some times I may oil but only on very frequently used pans. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it handy to wipe a new coat on a just washed skillet etc. after each use.

My method is to wash the piece then place on the burner to dry completely. and while its hot take the bar of wax and wipe it on and burnish it in with a paper towel to coat evenly. If you are going to store the piece long term be generous and wipe all areas inside and out. I leave a little extra in the interior cooking area and at the start of the next use, warm it and wipe almost dry.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Same method we use Bob. We buy a 1lb brick at the state fair every year....that brick lasts just a little over a year...

Support you local beekeeper. Chances are, he isn't doing it for the money....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:10 am

My husband adores the Wapak brand, and is on a quest for a #11 Indian head skillet. He has been building his set for almost a decade now, and that is the ONLY one missing. And Bobhenry is right in saying they don't come up very often, and when they do...... $> very pricey. I love using the pieces from this set and they are some of the smoothest/blackest pieces in our collection.
Joanie
TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Cast Iron