I don't think I'm obsessed...

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

I don't think I'm obsessed...

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:50 pm

OK, Readers Digest version of the last 24 hours events with a short intro....
15 years ago I married a wonderful woman who's family is straight out of the hills of Kentucky, literally, her Mom was one of 18 kids of a Coal Miner. If you wanna eat well, marry a Hillbilly. Trust me, will make you throw rocks at Cracker Barrel!
When we were wed, she brought to our home two old CI pieces, a large skillet and a deep chicken fryer. While she was working one evening I thought I would do her a favor and clean those nasty old things up... and hour with an SOS pad and I had them nice and shiny. Needless to say she was not impressed! A pound of bacon and several hours in the oven, I was let out of the dog-house.
:oops:
Fast forward a decade + we start Camping. I now know how to care for CI and want to cook over an open fire. We take the one Skillet in the old Pop-up and keep the Chicken fryer in the house for Sausage Gravy (see above statement on Hillbilly cooking). My Mom brings us a Lodge DO she found NEW at an auction for $10. I get out the Crisco and seasoned it, built a tripod out of some steel I had and we have been using those 2 every since.

Then the addiction really started I guess...I began really watching for CI to be had cheap. Along came the hand-me downs from the MIL who had gotten to be of the age where she wasn't cooking anymore with the onset of her dementia. These are TREASURED! They probably came from HER mom since they were dirt poor but we will never know for sure.

Found a couple of "Made in USA" sauce pans at a garage sale for $3. Then a Skillet or two here and there, lead to more pieces.
But we all have our favorites right? These are better than any Teflon coated aluminum crap out there and LIVE in our TT camper.

A while back I had picked up another Chicken Fryer. This one for the TT since the original is for the Sausage Gravy from Heaven and must NEVER leave the house after my near escape from death with it. While searching here yesterday, I found Stacie Tamaki post on using one for a DO with Bobhenry's reply on http://www.buygoodwill.com and was searching for a lid when the Wifey came up and said "Don't you think you have enough?"

Hmmm I dunno, never really thought about it that way. So I gathered up all my pieces in one spot for a photo shoot.....
All are vintage CI with either Griswald or Wagner stampings except for the two wooden handled pieces on the right, they are from Taiwan and are to be used on the Camper stove top only. We got them for a buck each at a thrift shop.

Well, NOPE! They are all different shapes / sizes, each have their own personality, and some have yet to be seasoned "properly".
I still need a lid for that Chicken Fryer. I'd like to find an interlocking lid for it and I'm tired of sharing a lid with the original Lodge DO because what if I want to use them BOTH.
And I want a small DO for deserts.
And I'd like a DO with legs to set in the coals.
And maybe a kettle for water.
And...

On another note, If I ever want to adjust the tongue weight all I have to do is move some cooking utensils! :roll:
I have gone to find myself.
If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Re: I don't think I'm obsessed...

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:10 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Love your stories and collection.

Now that I have my DO figured out I need to find a small'ish pot to roast raw coffee beans in. The hunt is on!
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have a nice start of a collection there. The reason I say start is you have a problem that needs to be addressed. There are all those special pieces out there somewhere that you don't have yet. I see you have a list of wants. You might add a waffle iron and a couple griddles. Maybe a big 14" fry pans for when the family comes back. So much cast iron, so little time. I make you a bet. When you see a nice piece at a bargain price it WILL follow you home. Have fun collecting!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:45 am

Ooohhhh... a GRIDDLE!
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:13 am

And I don't see anything with feet on them either........ :?

It was $5.00 ( The guy had no idea what he had )

An ancient rat tail legged skillet

I love using it to bake in

And for odd ball of the month Does any one have any idea on this little pot. The rat tail has a flattened end on it I guess you could use it as a crow bar or maybe to take off your old style hubcap :lol:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:25 am

Yea.. Feet. That's what I meant by a DO with legs to set in the coals. Thanks!
That skillet is friggin awesome!
Depending on how big that last one is Bobhenry, if I saw that in a swap meet or antique store, I'd think it was to melt lead in to make ammo for a musket/ muzzle-loader in the olden days.
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 am

Hey Stacie...
Try searching "cast iron bean pot" on eBay or shopgoodwill. I think that is what you are looking for!
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Yea.. Feet. That's what I meant by a DO with legs to set in the coals.

NO FEET NO PROBLEM !

Get one of these...........Image

and you will have a flat bottomed skillet with artificial legs :lol:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Is that a burner grate from an industrial (restaurant) gas stove?
BRILLIANT!
Bob did you see my guess on the mystery pot of yours?
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby wagondude » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Is that a burner grate from an industrial (restaurant) gas stove?
BRILLIANT!
Bob did you see my guess on the mystery pot of yours?

You can get any gas stove burner grate. I asked at the local appliance repair/sales store and they gave me one for free! And I think you are right about Bob's mystery pot. I would have guessed a smelting pot as well.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby indycamper » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 am

Regarding Bob Henry's small pot:

First thought was that it was a melting pot for lead, since it resembled one my dad had many years ago. BUT - his had spouts on either side so that the lead could be poured exactly where it was needed. Searching the internet, I find what appears to be Bob's pot. It is called a POSNET - which translates "small pot"! They appear to have been used primarily to melt butter or make sauces.
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 pm

[quote="Hoosier Daddy"]
We take the one Skillet in the old Pop-up and keep the Chicken fryer in the house for Sausage Gravy (see above statement on Hillbilly cooking). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My mother was from Missouri, and she made the old fashioned sausage gravy (no such thing as "White" sausage gravy) The wall paper paste they serve in most restaurants is not fit to eat. Once you eat the real thing..... you can't enjoy anything but the real southern stuff.

:D :D :D Making me hungry!
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:24 pm

If you want one with legs try to find a south African shop and get a poikie.
There is varied spelling of it but every self respecting south African has one and they are great to cook in.
Even better if you can find an old one
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:12 am

Oh my dales133... Those are COOL!

You are right a little research shows several spellings.
poikie , potjie...
The search is on!

Redneck Teepee: Make you throw rocks at "Cracker Barrel", won't it.
Me
Hoosier Daddy
Teardrop Builder

Postby deleted » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:11 pm

I need one like your wood handled pots or the ones on the far right in your image.

The longer handle is needed so you can hold/brace the pot while whisking the coffee beans for 18 continuous minutes. :frightened:

deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron