Seasoning wood-handled waffle iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Seasoning wood-handled waffle iron

Postby Steviebear » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm a long-time lurker and infrequent poster, and I finally have a problem I can't find a solution to with a quick search, so my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
I picked up a Wagner waffle iron at a flea market not long ago, but it has wood handles rather than the coiled steel handles. What is the correct way to season this? I was planning on cleaning in the usual way, then seasoning on my stovetop burner (electric). Is this the best way or is there something better? The web has been less than helpful. Oh, the handles don't seem to come off.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Steviebear
Steviebear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Seasoning wood-handled waffle iron

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

get it good and hot and melt in bees wax.

You can eat it, so any excess is simply an added ingredient in your waffles
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:56 pm

You don't need much heat to melt the wax. And you don't need much wax either. If it is dripping off, you used too much. With the iron cold, you can just rub some on like coloring with a crayon. then use just enough heat to soften the wax and a paper towel or lint free cloth will spread it around to cover the rest of the iron. You don't even need to get the iron hot enough to burn you hand. Once the wax is spread around, you can increase the heat to help it set in better, but it is not required. Oil seasoning requires high heat to convert the oil. The wax doesn't convert the same way, so it doesn't require the high heat.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:04 pm

After it is cooled, you can just scrape the excess off and save it to re-use later. warm up what you scrape off and pour it into a small cookie cutter set on top of some wax paper. When it cools, you will have a wax cookie that you can use the next time you want to treat something.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:33 pm

I re-seasoned an old CI skillet today using bees wax. I followed your advice and didn't get the pan super hot and used only enough wax to coat the interior of the pan. I heated the pan to about 150F before adding wax and didn't let it get much above 160F while melting and spreading.

We'll see tomorrow morning when I make scrambled eggs in the pan.

Thanks for the advice

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:36 am

I think you will be very impressed !

I know I was !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:42 pm

bobhenry wrote:I think you will be very impressed !

I know I was !

I am. I scrambled eggs in the newly coated pan this morning and indeed the skillet was (mostly) non-stick. The wet eggs tended to stick until they dried and cooked then came loose easily. I think I need to try a little lower temperature for the pan next time. Today I put the eggs in when the pan reached 375F, next time I'll start at 350F.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:26 am

One little pat of butter and after it melts give the skillet one swirl and add the eggs, it will never stick.

I love my cast iron even more since I discovered the bee's wax seasoning trick.

After about 6 to 8 washings I will reapply a light coat just because I can :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:20 pm

bobhenry wrote:One little pat of butter and after it melts give the skillet one swirl and add the eggs, it will never stick.

I love my cast iron even more since I discovered the bee's wax seasoning trick.

After about 6 to 8 washings I will reapply a light coat just because I can :thumbsup:

I'm trying to avoid the butter thing. A true non-stick surface allows you to fry or scramble eggs with no added oil or fat. A desirable thing in my opinion.

That's why I rehabbed the skillet and got an IR thermometer. No guesswork.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:38 pm

first off, this is coming from a No Cook type of person that never had much luck cooking eggs, always to hot or am told I didn't use enough oil. I watch the cook at work cook eggs and still think he uses way to much oil - it's every where but works. Well something that has been working for me lately is Coconut Cooking Oil. It's in liquid form and I put some in a spray bottle and it only take 3 to 4 shots and eggs just slid and break lose easy now. I love the stuff along with being a great skin oil. kind of makes me feel like I know how to cook once in a while. They say it's suppose to be good for your health for whatever that means being it doesn't seem to matter what you use, depending on what day it is - it's either right or wrong. It's all I use any more and when camping it works for everything from skin to cooking - less to carry. Also, don't know if it means any thing but when I looked at the ingredients in Camp Chefs Dutch Oven oil for seasoning their Dutch ovens, Coconut Oil is one of it's main ingredients. Take Care
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron