What's cooking ?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: What's cooking ?

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm on a bread streak. Beer batter bread and NYT no knead recently. Working up to some yeast breads.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I don't do much DO cooking once the weather turns cold. I move inside. Right now I am spending time cleaning my pile of cast iron that has accumulated from the past summers. I cook in the house with a few cast iron skillets. I have a good corn bread recipe, so I make that quite often. Waffles on the old Griswold waffle iron are also regularly used. I spend my time in the winter looking for and trying out recipes that I can use in the DO once camping season gets here.

When the kids come over I get 2 Irons out for production!

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Yea, Slow, I did it in the oven in the house. I'm sure you can do it in the DO but you would need to be careful not to burn the bottom.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Woodbutcher, you just inspired me to spend $34 on a pair of cast iron waffle makers today, after seeing that photo! I plan to use them on the kitchen stove at home and when out camping. Either way, there will be some happy people in my family. Thanks for the idea! :beer:
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm

lfhoward wrote:Woodbutcher, you just inspired me to spend $34 on a pair of cast iron waffle makers today, after seeing that photo! I plan to use them on the kitchen stove at home and when out camping. Either way, there will be some happy people in my family. Thanks for the idea! :beer:

Glad I could help. I use mine quite often. As long as you get them seasoned right they work like teflon.

After you master waffles, try and find one of these Ebelskiver pans. They make some fun desserts and are done on the stove also. The batter is kind of like pancake batter. Oil up each cup, pour in about a tablespoon of batter and as they brown you slowly roll them over in the cups while they browm. I use a pair of knitting needles to roll them over. Some use chopsticks. There are all kinds of batters, some with fruit, chocolate chips, whatever you like. You can even fill them like a jelly roll. Lots of fun to make and very tasty, especially warm. YUMM YUMM.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:33 pm

In the winter, I often make a big pot of chicken soup or beef stew. Both hot dishes are perfect for cold weather.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:55 am

Chicken fryer with 8 thick pork chops in toasted sesame dressing cooked low and slow for 3 hours.

And in the other deep cast iron skillet a big load of scalloped potatoes and onions with lots of milk and cheese.

Man o Man I didn't know I was that damn good of a cook !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron