Odd Lid Lifter

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Odd Lid Lifter

Postby IndyTom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Well, at least its odd to me. Take a look at this short video and tell me if you recognize the second lifter she demonstrates. I know I haven't been around a lot, but I have never seen one anything like it.
https://youtu.be/g9EScRKFtjg
If anyone recognizes it, I would really be interested in taking a closer look at one like it.
Thanks,

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Re: Odd Lid Lifter

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm

I live in Dutch oven country. Lots of river runners here and everyone knows how to drive a DO. Those lifts are popular.

I "grew up" using a large pair of channel-lock pliers––grasping the edge of the dutch, not the handle. All the OLD river guides use 'em. They work great. They keep you hands away from the heat and I've never dropped a lid.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Odd Lid Lifter

Postby stephent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:46 pm

Second one is a Volcano Lid Lifter. I usually weld up the simple "T" end type but with a slightly more bend up on the center piece.. and probably 6" long "T" part with a bend down on it. It works great. I use plain old uncoated slick rod available at about any hardware/big box store...and I make the handle longer then 18"-20" like most commercial ones are. Even though the coals are drug off to one side..that fire can be warmish to the hands. I prefer close to a 30" reach for mine. It doubles lifting straight up as a handle/bail lifter for the whole DO or pot.
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron