Scorching pots

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Scorching pots

Postby ae6black » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

While not specifically directed to cast iron, I have a problem with cooking large amounts of tomato sauce in a deep stock pot that I use for canning. I tend to have to stir a lot with the high heat because I am trying to reduce the water to make thicker sauce. I've been using a long handled Echo spatula turner that I've had forever to keep the bottom of the pot from Scorching. It works a lot better than any long handled wooden spoon that I've ever found because of the flat surface that scrapes the bottom of the pot. My problem is the thing is wearing out and I need to replace it with something. I just can't find anything in the store. Everybody says, just lower your heat and spend a few weeks and a few more days cooking it down without stirring so much. That is not going to work for me as I always have a lot more to do than watch a stock pot for hours on end for the better part of a day. MY QUESTION: What do any of you home canners out there use to stir your pots? You might be using something that I never thought of that might work really well for me. I've thought of making a long handled spatula or turner out of maple or oak as a last resort. What say ye more experienced cooks and home canning experts?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Scorching pots

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am

I have a Calphalon wok turner that has a square end that I like for such chores, but these days I'm more likely to use a silicone spatula with one sharp corner and one rounded corner for stirring sauces etc. I like those made by OXO for the large handle.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm

HOW ABOUT JUST THICKENING THE SAUCE ! Try corn starch or a really neat trick is instant potatoes. Trust me no one will ever know try a small experimental batch and spring it on the family without telling them for an honest opinion.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby crttaz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Stock pots have thin bottoms, hence the scorching. I have it happen when making chili and the burner on low. Most of the heat hit the bottom of the stock pot where a thick pot the sides would heat up as well, like a crock pot.

I use instant taters when making Knorr meals before they reduce the amount of water needed. Can of tuna, Knorr's packet, dry milk if needed, and some instant taters to thicken. Perfect $2 camping meal that I learn from some weekend hikers.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I use a stainless steel spatula with a long handle. Try looking at barbecue tools if you want one with a longer handle.

Another thing that you can do for the thin bottom problem is to use a heat diffuser between your pan and the stove.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cast Iron