New Years Day Gatherin

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Postby Kayperkay » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Yes Bruce....I'll bring Breeka so Ebony has a buddy. :thumbsup: As far as chains go....I don't have any...cuz I wouldn't put them on if I did... 8) 8) So let's all pray for a passable Siskyou pass. :thumbsup:
Kayperkay
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby traveler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Just looked at the forcast for Old Station and there is snow showers from Wed till Sunday. I don't know about you guys, but I am not up to four days of snow in a teardrop :snowstorm: . Don't mind the drive down and back :vroom: , but sitting in it for four days, well that's another thing. I am not going to bring a shovel to dig myself out so, unless the weather report changes, don't count on me being there. Sorry
Bruce :)
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Eunice » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:08 pm

The purpose of this is for me to experience "snow camping" like the Boy Scouts. I hope there is snow! I think it will be fun...if those kids can do it then so can I
Bring on the cold!!!! I'm ready
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby traveler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

I am NOT a boy scout
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Eunice » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 pm

traveler wrote:I am NOT a boy scout

no problem Bruce. move to my district and I will get you registered. dont want to move..that is ok too I can always contact the district commissioner up there and tell him about this wonderful person I know that lives up there :lol:
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby traveler » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:45 pm

No comment on that one :R
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Eunice » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Sorry you wont be there Bruce
Kay we need to figure out our wood supply
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby Kayperkay » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:56 am

You know.....I'm thinkin' about the same way as Bruce.....Too wet and cold....I'm not a Boy scout either, and remember...I wear dresses....Burrr.... And.. if I didn't have to cross the Siskyous....There wouldn't be any problem....I'm scared about that as well....I hear 3 days of snow just prior...? I just wanted to go camping when I first suggested it....but not in the rain and snow....I just came home from the Oregon Coast today....It was so warm, played on the Sand Dunes all day and ate Crab at Jots in Gold Beach tonight. Sorry Eunice but I'm chickening out too.
Kay
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:58 am

Eunice,
I'm A Good Boy Scout!!!... :eyebrows:
But I can't make it either. :cry:

I've already made commitments to do the Eureka Campout... To rent Pamplin Grove for 2010.
Plus I gotta cook the crab, make the chowder, bake the bread, do the prime rib... That sort of stuff.
Darn It. :(

Have Fun, Enjoy The Snow & Take Lots Of :pictures: :EXP :EXP :EXP :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Eunice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

well ok then. My intent is to go snow camping. I dont think you can sit under Mt Lassen in January and not have snow! :o
I have a postcard of the lava tube during winter and it is spectacular with the ice hanging from the ceiling so we are going to see it for ourselves. home made chili and cornbread, movies and games. The dogs will love the walks in the snow. I am excited to do this :applause:
Kay I wear dresses too but not when I am camping?????? Dean we will miss you but you have important work to do.
With the walls on the canopy and the patio heater Kenny and I did great at Antlers in the rain so I am sure we will do quite well in the snow also. I will let you know :D and yes we will take pictures
Happy New Year
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby Kayperkay » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Sorry....I'm so bummed :cry:
Last edited by Kayperkay on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby traveler » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:24 pm

LaPine is going to have 6 day of snow starting tomorrow night and I hope who ever is going has a great time, but count me out. I am too NOT a boy scout. In my really younger days, I was an Eagle Scout, also Pack 205 in North Hollywood Ca, My Mom was Den Mother, I was Pack Leader. So I have been there and done that before Eunice was born.
Those who are going, have a great time.
Bruce :) :)
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Eunice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Havent heard from anyone else so Kenny and I are planning on just us. It is a 4-5 hour drive on a crooked two lane road. We have two mountains (Berry Summit and Oregon Mountain) which I am sure will have snow. We are looking to have an adventure. Will post pictures when we get back.

correction: google map says it is about 5 1/2 hour drive so with snow I would say 6-7.
Last edited by Eunice on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice

Postby Gage » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

It's going to be beautiful there the whole time. I'm not coming, it's to far. :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 am

Eunice wrote:
I have a postcard of the lava tube during winter and it is spectacular with the ice hanging from the ceiling so we are going to see it for ourselves.

I wondered why you were coming all the way to Lassen when you could go camping in the mountain snow closest to your home. Now, I understand!

However, I would think you could see the ice hanging from the lava tube anytime during the winter or spring. I think Lassen stays snowed in until late April or early May. I've been there at the end of April, with snow piled 10 feet high. My guess is that the longer you wait into the winter, the longer the icicles will be when you see them. Maybe you could check with a ranger and they could tell you when the best time would be (if you haven't already). I think part of Highway 89 gets closed down for the winter, too. I wouldn't want you to make that trek just to be disappointed in the scenery, especially since that's what you're going for.

PS. Remember, Lassen has underground, sealed ice-filled lava tubes that never totally melt and keep the nights in the 30's even in August. I would think that the open lava tube would stay ice cold for a number of months.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson State