Jefferson State Tour Questionnaire

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 am

I have a hunch that some people will be there for the whole trip but many will be in and out. Those who have jobs may be there for the two weekend adventures but not for the middle ones. But that might actually add variety and interest to the experience for those who are there for the whole adventure and there's nothing wrong with that.

More people will probably chime with their thoughts when you define preliminary boundaries and campgrounds.

I do hope your mom continues to mend. Reaching 97 is a feat in itself!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lazybones » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I may be up for this trip if the time is right.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby 4123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 pm

OK. This is what I've come up with so far. The mileage is about 400 miles (one way). On the map below, the over night stops are numbered 1 through 6.
What I have in mind for the first night is a nice (free) campsite on the side of 'Mount Shasta' at almost 10,000. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmindful/214810234/ This is accessible all the way on nice paved road but quite a climb. We will park in the old parking lot for the ski resort that was destroyed by an avalanche about 20 years ago. You can see 100 miles.
The next night could be a real pretty camping spot (undeveloped) on the west side of 'Mount Ashland' http://www.summitpost.org/lithia-park-t ... mit/589206 overlooking the Siskiyous and the Rogue Valley with great view of Mt. Shasta. This entails a good gravel single lane road that starts at the parking lot at the ski area and winds around the mountain, climbing to the top.
After spending the night, back down to Ashland in the late morning and up I-5 to Canyonville then east to Tiller, then NE to 'South Umpqua Falls'. http://www.travelbywaysandgetaways.com/ ... umpqua.htm This has a very large, first come first serve USFS campground with good toilets. South Umpqua Falls has a large natural water slide and is quite popular and very much fun if you aren't afraid to get wet by sliding down the falls. Also some fantastic swimming holes, some perfect for small kids.
Then over the top of the Cascades (VERY scenic) and down in to the Central Oregon desert to a place called 'Fort Rock'. http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore-Ore ... -Cave.aspx Check out Fort Rock for a few hours then then head on for another hour to 'Hole In The Ground'. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/g ... to02.shtml Hole In The Ground is a huge, perfectly round crater about 1 mile across and a 1000 ft deep. We can camp on the edge and watch the desert sunrise come over the mountains. There are some local lava tube caves close by and lots of other interesting desert things....then, shoot back across the Cascades to Waldo Lake. http://www.hoodoo.com/Willamette_Nation ... e_Area.htm Waldo Lake is known as one of the purest lakes in the world. I've canoed across it at night and could see the bottom, 50 ft. down by the moonlight. Waldo Lake may be crowded and vacant camp-sights might be hard to find though....

Let me know what you think. Changes can be made....

More refinements later........

~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:28 am

Sounds like fun Ron :twisted: New places to explore :applause: :applause: Thank you for all your hard work putting this together :thumbsup: I have an idea..? Maybe we could start this tour right after the Gathering just north of Shasta at the Lava Beds and Medicine Lake in the begining of August..? Just a thought :thinking: :thinking:
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby traveler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm

the tour comes first. :thumbsup:
Thanks , Bruce & Ebony
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby rmclarke » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:50 am

Have the dates for the tour been set yet? I re-read this thread just to make sure I didn't miss any date that had been posted.

If it was the right date for us, we would sure like to try and hook up with everyone at South Umpqua Falls at least (not too far from where we live)

:)
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby rmclarke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Hmmmm...........anything on the dates for this tour yet?? :NC

Just for a heads up, the Cow Creek Indian Tribe hold their annual pow wow at South Umpqua Falls every summer. I'll try to find out more about when, but it's usually the third week in July ( 17 thru 23 this year) ....they pretty well pack the place out, which would not be good for the teardrop tour if it came through at the same time. :o
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby jhb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Dam, I think everyone went to a gathering this weekend...
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby rmclarke » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:50 pm

jhb wrote wrote:Dam, I think everyone went to a gathering this weekend...

yeah, i kinda figured...but, I'm a patient man....I know how to wait :)
...I really wanted to be a 'Shastafarian' this year, but alas, it wasn't to be...mebbe next year :worship: ...

rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Mon May 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Grant and I vote for the week following the Medicine Lake/Lava Bed gathering on Aug 5,6,7th.....Leave from Medicine Lake....tour all week long and spend the following weekend at Waldo Lake. Main reason- Grant will be at Bonneville the 3rd week of August. 8)
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Joanie & I won't even be able to make the Medicine Lake Gathering and that was tops on my list... We'll be at a wedding in Pamplin Grove. Please take lots of pics.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Btennison » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 am

I'll be there; the good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. I'll be the outsider again, just tagging along but damn it sounds like fun!

Bob T
Btennison
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Jefferson State