4th. Annual Fathers Day Gathering

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Attending the ITG-4

Poll ended at Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 pm

yes
13%
no
88%

Total votes : 16

4th. Annual Fathers Day Gathering

Postby Kayperkay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:05 pm

As some of you have already seen, the ITG-4 will also be on Fathers Day weekend in Minden Nebraska. Before we set a location. how many Jefferson Staters plan on attending the ITG-4.? We have had a request for the Fathers day gathering to be held at Waldo Lake in Oregon. How's that sound..? or Cape Blanco on the Oregon coast......or we found a nice campground on Hwy. 299 in Northern Cal that would be real nice. East Fork Campground, 5 miles west of Willow creek off of Hwy 299. Let me know your thought everyone :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kayperkay on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby rmclarke » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Kay,

I haven't camped at Waldo Lake (but have camped around Odell which is close by), but I've heard tell that the mosquitoes are quite vicious in the early season (June-July). I've heard several folks say that late August to October is a better time for Waldo (mosquito-wise)
We're really going to try to make it to a gathering this year....i hope i hope

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby 4123 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes. I've been to Waldo Lake in early summer. The mosquitoes were unbelievable!
August is the best month for Waldo Lake. Its a very beautiful lake. One of the best I've been too. The water is so clear that you can see the bottom 50 feet down by moonlight while canoeing. There are mountain bike trails that are unsurpassed. The campgrounds are great. Our family camps there every year for many years and I recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it BUT, not in early summer....
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby dguff » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Sorry,
I won't be attending any Father's Day weekend events. I always have a different commitment for that weekend.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 1912 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I was at Waldo last year in July. Were it not for my screened in EZ up, we would have probably died. Seriously, there's lots of them. We were OK up until about dark. Then, into the shelter where we spent a perfectly lovely evening with wonderful shaken cocktails. It is a beautiful, pristine and clean high mountain lake and worth a trip. But not till later. I fully intend to go back. But not until later, like after my annual trip to the desert in early September. Also, if you want to camp all together, I don't know that they have a place. But judging from the scarcity of other folks there, we were the only campers in our section, it would not be difficult to be close, but in separate spots. Great place to put the kayaks in or hike or generally enjoy such a fantastic spot.
Mark

CampInn #214
Subaru Forester
Eddyline kayaks
Specialized bicycles

\^/
/_\
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 pm

I see comments about Waldo Lake but not much about East Fork at Willow Creek. So, here is what Tom Stienstra wrote about it in his 2009 California Camping book:

This is a beautiful spot along Willow Creek, set at a 2,000-foot elevation, it’s one of the prettiest campgrounds in the area. While you can dunk into the cold creek, it’s not really a good swimming area. Fishing is prohibited here.

Campsites, facilities: There are 10 sites for tents or RV’s up to 20 feet (no hookups). Picnic tables and fire rings are provided. Vault toilets are available. No drinking water is available. Leashed pets are permitted.

Out of a possible 10, the scenic rating for this campground is a 9. If it’s the one that I’m thinking of, I’ve visited it and found it delightfully beautiful with lots of trees and the wonderful rushing sound of the creek, visible from many of the campsites.

...Hope this helps.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Bugs suck

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Dear Kay,

Bugs can ruin a gathering. Apparently Waldo is a bummer in June.

I will not be going to Nebraska.

I will be going to my annual Jefferson State gathering for Father's Day.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 am

Sharon, you're right about East Fork campground having a scenic rating of 9....I thought so too. We were there in October this past year and fell in love with it. It's small, only 9 or 10 campsites, very shady with lots of trees and ferns, and that rushing creek kiils all sounds from hwy 299. I couldn't believe we were that close to the road, you can't hear anything. Another bonus is the coast is only something like 35 miles away.....so that means maybe Dean and Joanie can make a Fathers Day gathering :worship:

So.....if there aren't any objections....It looks like East Fork Campground in the Six Rivers national forest on June 19-21 2011. :thumbsup:

ImageImage
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby triker45 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Sounds great to me. Jerry :thumbsup:
triker45
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 pm

I'll be going to the ITG. Oh wait, I'm not a member of Jefferson State. Any ways, it sure would be nice if the West Coast would support the ITG a little more. A lot of work is put into the planning of it by a western State teardropper. That teardropper being George Thornton. :thinking:

This is not just another teardrop gathering.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Gage wrote:I'll be going to the ITG. Oh wait, I'm not a member of Jefferson State. Any ways, it sure would be nice if the West Coast would support the ITG a little more. A lot of work is put into the planning of it by a western State teardropper. That teardropper being George Thornton. :thinking:

Gage, I think that is why Kay is asking about it. If there are people who have already decided that they are not going to ITG, but may go camping locally, what's the harm? Not everybody has the time or the money for the bigger camping trip, especially in our current economy. Maybe they can connect campgrounds electronically via the web. (We talked about doing that once before.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Gage, I think that is why Kay is asking about it. If there are people who have already decided that they are not going to ITG, but may go camping locally, what's the harm? Not everybody has the time or the money for the bigger camping trip, especially in our current economy. Maybe they can connect campgrounds electronically via the web. (We talked about doing that once before.)

I know that Sharon. And for your information, you don't have to be retired to attend that gathering. You just have to want to and then plan for it. In 2005 there were almost 60 teardrops from California, Oregon & Washington. Oh and Jefferson State (sorry). And out of that 60 maybe 4 or 5 of us were retired. It's just a mater of wanting to go to a particular gathering. So please get off the retirement kick, I'm getting real tired of hearing that. And in the future, I'll stay out of this section. :surrender:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Gage wrote:I'll be going to the ITG. Oh wait, I'm not a member of Jefferson State. Any ways, it sure would be nice if the West Coast would support the ITG a little more. A lot of work is put into the planning of it by a western State teardropper. That teardropper being George Thornton. :thinking:

As far as Jefferson Staters supporting the ITG4, or what might appear as lack of support for the event, it's not as simple as you might think, and seem to imply:

First, this Fathers' Day will be our Chapter's 4th so-named event, so it's already got some history, and many of our members look forward to it ... so it's an established Gathering, and the dates for it have been known & posted since November '10 and before.

Second, we have long encouraged any and all West Coast Teardroppers (not just TearJerkers) to attend the ITG because, as you've said quite precisely, it's not "just another teardrop gathering!"

And third, for many of us (myself included), it all boils down to time & money ... as in not enough of either or both to drive to Minden, NE, & back ... while we all want to be camping that weekend, our Fathers' Day gig may just be easier & cheaper to get to for many of our members (and even some non-members)!

Personally speaking, I'm pleased & honored to be the Western Rep. for the ITG, and I do encourage all those who can and want to attend it ... you won't be sorry! Unfortunately, however, (for reasons already mentioned) this year I will not be able to. But since I am a member of the Jefferson State Chapter of TearJerkers, I'll be joining many of our other members at East Fork Campground that weekend, and welcoming any other Teardopper or Tiny Trailer enthusiast who wants to gather but can't make it out to Nebraska ... :thumbsup:
George is a good friend and an intelligent individual who can understand and appreciate the situation and sentiment.

That being said, my Friend, while you might not be a "member" of Jefferson State, you are a member of TearJerkers (Chapter Director, no less), a Teardropper, and a Classic Tiny Trailer Enthusiast ... so you know you will be welcome with open arms to any of our Chapter's events, when ever and where ever they might be ...!

And, speaking of "membership" in our Chapter (or any other chapter) there seems to be some misunderstanding as to just what qualifies someone to be a "member", whether it's the type of trailer you have or where you live ... for us it's easy: where ever you are, what ever you have, if you have what we call the "Jefferson state of mind" and want to be a "member" of our Chapter, you're in! Just contact Kay and she'll walk you right through it! We've got members from all over the US and even Finnland, so "borders" mean nothin' ... :D ...!

See you down the road, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Big Dan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 am

With over 12,000 menbers there should be enough people for gatherings at both ends of the country. North and south too.
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby grant whipp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 am

Hiya, Big Dan!

There are plenty of enthusiasts for plenty of Gatherings at all four corners of the country and everywhere in between, no doubt ... but the point of the ITG and even the Crossroads of America gatherings is a centrally located place where folks from around the country can gather in one place at one time (whether or not it ends up being a mega-gathering). Hopefully, more folks would/could be able to go half way across the country than from one coast to another.

Gage!

I didn't read anything anywhere in Sharon's post about having to be "retired" to make it to the ITG, so ... :thinking: ...?
And while you are right about the numbers of West Coast Teardroppers attending in '05, and even the fact that all anyone needs to do is decide to go and then make it happen, do I need to remind you that in '05 (the very first ITG) most folks had 12-18 months to plan for the event and time off? That kind of time makes a big difference!

Even though I know that this Gathering happens every other year and generally in the mid- to late-June time frame, I'm not able to commit to attending until very close to the dates, if at all anymore. I get the feeling that there are a lot of folks in very similar circumstances.

Like I said before, though ... if there is the possibility that you can make it out to ITG4, I encourage you to make the effort to do so ... it's a one-of-a-kind Gathering, and you won't be sorry! Just ask anyone who's ever been ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Jefferson State