Buckeye coming to Oregon !

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Buckeye coming to Oregon !

Postby ERV » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Jeffersonions, Janny and I are coming to Eugene the first part of June. Her sister's son is getting married. While we are out there (for a week)we would like to see the area around Eugene. Maybe 3 or 4 day trips from her house. I think I am going to rent a car, they will all be busy with family stuff. So we will be able to get away and see more things if we have our own car.
Would like to start early and get back to the house just before dark, so that is around 12 hours of site seeing each day. Can you tell us what is around the area? And what the weather is like this time of year?
Thanks, Erv
P.S. Hope this is in the right chapter. :)
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 am

Silver Falls, a bit south east of Salem is nice... Crater lake if you got the time and of course a trip to the coast.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dave A » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:46 am

You might try an internet search for Eugene Or. visitors bureau.
There may be tourist info listed.
Dave A
500 Club

Hi Erv &Janny

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:22 am

:) If you just want to stay in the town itself...... Eugene is one of my favorite towns in Oregon. The town is laid out nicely for biking and ease in walking due to it being a college setting. Be sure to go to Saturday Market - a big gathering with farmer's market, yummy food vendors, and other assorted arts and street performances. There are some wonderful paths alongside the river where you can ride your bike or roller skate if you want. Nearby parks will just be coming off of some gorgeous flower blooms and the weather in June is usually very nice and not too humid. I also like the variety of vintage/thirft/2nd hand stores which are generally really full that time of year with the mass exodus of students that are graduating and leaving. I can remember walking along the areas near the campus and finding piles of things left out for people for FREE!

It's a very pretty place, but I do recall it has a high pollen count that time of year (if you are subject to allergies just wear one of those nose masks)

:) Enjoy the wedding and the sightseeing.
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby rmclarke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:30 am

Hi Erv,

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Silver Falls, a bit south east of Salem is nice... Crater lake if you got the time and of course a trip to the coast.

What Dean said!

From Eugene to Florence on the coast is only about 60 miles.
Once you get to Florence, if you drive south a bit, you'll be at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area,
but the drive north from Florence is a much more scenic trip; neat little towns along the way; Walport, Yachats, Lincoln City.

You could make a loop Eugene to Florence, up to Lincoln City, back inland from Lincoln City to Salem (our capitol)
then its a straight (and boring) drive south from Salem back to Eugene.........
:thinking: or you could just re-trace you route back down the coast to Eugene. (I think thats what I'd do,spending as much time at the coast as possible)

my 2 cents
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby ERV » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks everyone keep them coming. Don't want to spend to much time with the in-laws, ;)
Janny has been out to see her a few times now. I would like to see the coast. Don't care much about the city. But they will show us that. Want to take a lot of photos. Got a new camera last year and have been getting back into photography.
Last time I was out on the coast was back in the early 70's. I don't remember too much of those trips, must be old age. :cry:
I will get on line and see what I can find and then ask your opinions.
Thanks again
Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:58 pm

The Coast for sure! Silver Falls is just down the road from me, its a bunch of Water Falls and great big trees. Crater Lake is a MUST.

I enjoy the mountains which is a short distance to the East of Eugene.

You really don't have much time, I'd do the Coast and Crater, Ohio has nothing like them anywhere

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:09 am

What they said Erv. The coast drive is well worth it and an easy trip. Silver falls is great too. And if you don't have the time to go clear to Crater, just head east on highway 58 out of Eugene. A little over an hour will put you on top of the Cascades in some of the prettiest country anywhere. Lots of lakes and places to explore. Enjoy the trip!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 am

Joanie's avatar is from Crater Lake, with Wizard's Island behind her. I have never seen another lake anywhere else in the world as deep blue colored as Crater Lake is... I hear Ohio is tall in the middle and round on the ends. :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby ERV » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 am

John, Shaun,Richard, Dean,
Thanks, I am going to try and go to the coast first. Spend a few days over there and Crater Lake one day. And if we have any time left go east to the Cascades for at lest a day.
Problem is going back to Eugene every night so Janny can see her sister and family. But it will be good to get away from work for a week.
Ohio is a beautiful state but pretty flat compared to the landscapes you guys have out there. Most of the state is forest. But again not the big trees you have. A lot of lakes to play in and some beautiful State and National parks. The west is mostly farm country. But we do have the Ohio River and Lake Eire. :)
This has all come up pretty fast, so I am going to get out the map and plan it all out. See what I come up with and see how much I can squeeze into the week. Maybe even get to see some of the folks out there? And John I would love to see your tear. Trying to gather up all the parts to build one something like yours. Maybe have it finished next year some time. Every time you post I just sit there and look at it.
I will get back to you all went I come up with the game plan.
Thanks so much for your input. :thumbsup:
Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 am

There are a lot of small towns with interesting history all around I believe some wooden bridges that you can drive/walk across. I just like to pick a direction and go and meander sometimes with not a destination in mind.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

oregon caves

Postby mvperini » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:55 am

you could also see the oregon caves national park

http://oregoncaves.com/

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored