Pre IRG campground advice

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Pre IRG campground advice

Postby notned » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 pm

We're booked into IRG 4.0. Our daughter is attending College of the Redwoods in Eureka. My wife wants to visit her either before or after the festivities. I'm thinking that we'll be ready for electricity. I see several parks but I'm looking for recommendations to help me choose. Closer to Eureka is better. Also I like to know I have a reservation. Thanks
notned
Donating Member

Postby mvperini » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

There is a KOA between Arcata and Eureka that we stayed at a few years ago i am sure they have electricity

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

local camping: see PG website

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 pm

8) You can stay at Swimmers Delight, the campground next to Pamplin Grove, where there are a limited number of sites with electrical hook-ups. This campground is on a first come, first serve system with NO reservations being taken. Fortuna has a pay trailer site near River Lodge (South Fortuna exit #687 Kenmar Rd. & Riverwalk) that is Good Sam rated. It has open pads next to the freeway and camping cabins as well.
Joanie
Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby rainjer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:48 pm

We stayed at the Eureka KOA in 2008 the night before IRG. Depending on you needs it has power, showers & laundry...

The campground itself was a little beat up..

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:8) You can stay at Swimmers Delight, the campground next to Pamplin Grove, where there are a limited number of sites with electrical hook-ups.
Joanie

Now you tell all that there are some 'electrical hook-ups' at Swimmers. :cry: .... :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Well Gage, there are SOME electrical sites there....

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Swimmers Delight is the campground a mile away from PG where you pay a daily fee for a private site on a first come basis. The few sites with electric hook ups were designed for trailers, but are not in the most desirable location as they are right beside the main road entrance/exit.

THERE ARE NO SITES WITH ELECTRICITY AT PAMPLIN GROVE.
THERE ARE NO HOT SHOWERS OR FLUSH TOILETS at PAMPLIN GROVE
If you want to use the showers at Swimmers Delight while registered for the IRG, you may do so, but bring your own quarters for the water use.

Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 pm

According to my book, California Camping, there are three near Eureka that have electrical hookups and showers:

Mad River Rapids RV Park, just north or Arcata ph#800-822-7776 or 707-822-7275 www.madriverrv.com

Eureka KOA, in Eureka. ph#(800) 562-3136 or 707-822-4243 http://koa.com/find-a-koa/# or [email protected]

E-Z Landing RV Park and Marina, on the Humbolt Bay, just below Eureka. ph#707-442-1118

My book is a couple years old, so, calling and checking with the campgrounds is advised. Also, it would be best to make reservations, if you can.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 am

I'd take my chances and try Swimmers Delight, one mile away from Pamplin Grove... Think there are about 11 or so sites with RV type electrical hook ups on the long straight stretch leading into the campground. These sites also have water, but no RV sewer or RV cable TV hook-ups.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Gage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I'd take my chances and try Swimmers Delight, one mile away from Pamplin Grove... Think there are about 11 or so sites with RV type electrical hook ups on the long straight stretch leading into the campground. These sites also have water, but no RV sewer or RV cable TV hook-ups.
So you are saying, that coming in Thursday we'll have a pretty good chance of getting a elect site. :thinking: Sure would save me a lot of money.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jabrobbins » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Another option is the Shoreline RV Park near the Harley dealer in Eureka. Definetely not the most scenic spot, but convenient and close to Eureka.

http://www.shorelinervpark.com/
jabrobbins
Eureka, CA
jabrobbins
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Gage wrote:
Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I'd take my chances and try Swimmers Delight, one mile away from Pamplin Grove... Think there are about 11 or so sites with RV type electrical hook ups on the long straight stretch leading into the campground. These sites also have water, but no RV sewer or RV cable TV hook-ups.
So you are saying, that coming in Thursday we'll have a pretty good chance of getting a elect site. :thinking: Sure would save me a lot of money.

It's first come/first serve over at Swimmers Delight... But I think your chances would be good on Thursday, way better on Wednesday.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: Pre IRG campground advice

Postby notned » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi, changing the camp ground in the Eureka area question. How do we feel about Samoa Boat Ramp campground? Electricity is less of an issue now than previously.
notned
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 pm

The only campground that I can find in my book with a similar name and location is
SAMOA BOAT LAUNCH COUNTY PARK, on the Humbolt Bay.

For the above campground, my book (published in 2009) says that there are 20 sites for tents or RVs but there are no hookups there. There is also overflow parking allowed in the parking lot. The campground has drinking water, flush toilets, and coin showers. Scenic rating: 7. Reservations are not accepted. Humbolt County Public Works, (707) 445-7651 or www.co.humbolt.ca.us.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby byrdz1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Here is a place to check out

http://www.riverwalkrvpark.com/rates-summer.html

Fortuna "usually" has nicer weather, it is between Carlotta and Eureka, and this place looks like it might be a little nicer than some, for sure the KOA between Arcata and Eureka. Fortuna is about 20 minutes south of Eureka (keep me honest here locals, I havn't made the drive in a while).
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:48 pm

notned wrote:Hi, changing the camp ground in the Eureka area question. How do we feel about Samoa Boat Ramp campground? Electricity is less of an issue now than previously.

The Samoa boat ramp campground is essentially a paved parking lot. My guess is you would be happier at Swimmers or the Riverwalk park in Fortuna.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Next

Return to Jefferson State