Becoming A Member On Nanny's Niche'...

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Becoming A Member On Nanny's Niche'...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:20 pm

I hate to have to do it like this, but because of spammers... If you want to signup for the IRG forum; Nanny's Niche' you must PM me on this forum and let me know what your chosen username and email address is.
I just took a look at 155 applications and 3 of them looked legit, but the last time I approved one that looked legit, our forum was polluted with spam.
If you have signed up and haven't been approved yet, your request has been flushed, Please try again and PM me here.
Sorry to have to do things this way, but I don't have enough free time to deal with the spammers and this is the only way I know of to keep them out.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: Becoming A Member On Nanny's Niche'...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Also, my work schedule takes me to places where I don't have internet access, please be patient if I'm unable to respond in a timely manner.
I'm sure many have noticed I'm not online as much as I was in the past.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:32 am

I just went through over one hundred new signups for Nanny's Niche' and only recognized one person... Only approved one.
Sorry it has to be like this, but the last time I approved someone that looked legit, but didn't recognize, our forum got slammed with spam.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:32 am

I just went through over one hundred new signups for Nanny's Niche' and only recognized one person... Only approved one.
Sorry it has to be like this, but the last time I approved someone that looked legit, but didn't recognize, our forum got slammed with spam.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am

I closed all comments and signups to my blog for the same reason. I couldn't believe all the spam comments and signups I got, and some of it pretty unsavory (downright nasty, actually).

I kept the "Contact me by email" form, and the few contacts I have gotten that way have been legit from nice people who really did want to discuss teardrops. (A couple of them were from this forum!!) I use a separate email address I created just for the blog and the mail from that address is forwarded to my regular email. If ever I start getting spammed that way, I'll discontinue that also and close the email that I created for it, which leaves my home email undisclosed to those folks, and those who are really interested can either bookmark my blog to check it when they want, or link to it from here or the Tearjerkers site.

I too am disappointed that things have to be handled like that. It's so unfortunate. The whole reason for starting a site like that is because you really do want to share with likeminded folks who are interested in what you are doing. I would love to have genuine feedback from legitimate comments. But I figure I will just get that here. The spammers ruin it for everyone!!!

You have come up with a pretty ingenious way to get around the situation. I hope it works out well for you.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 am

We DO want people to use the Pamplin Grove forum. Since Dean started the site we continue to purchase the domain name each year, and since the site is built and linked we also pay a yearly website upkeep. We don't want to exclude folks, but it gets really MESSY when thingbots get in to the system, let alone a REAL person hiding behind a name we don't know/recognize. The site generates most of its activity on even numbered years when our event occurs. Thanks for your understanding. 8) TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Jefferson State