IRG NEWBIE

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

IRG NEWBIE

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 06, 2012 10:24 pm

new to IRG but not to gatherings. How does one camp at IRG? are there campsites or is is "festival" style in a group area with no specific campsites (like it will be at Unionville). Since we have not been there before, just wondering what to expect. Do groups traditionally park in the same areas (like Dam ?). I kind of assume they do as that is human nature. First chair you sit in in class is where you sit for the rest of the year! 8) Is there room for more new friends? Or do newbies go to back of the room? :lol: Don't really care, just happy to be there, just wondering! Dam was so much fun, can't wait to camp again. we will be coming in on Thursday and staying until Monday. This is our summer vaca.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Re: IRG NEWBIE

Postby Maureenm » Sun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Good questions,Debbie. This will be my first time at IRG as well. I have friends coming that will be in a tent, so I was wondering if tents are allowed on the meadow, if anyone knows.
I'm looking forward to the Dam next year, I know I really missed out.
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 pm

You sure did, Dam was a blast. 102 trailers, I think Grant said it was a new record, and at least a third were newbies and new to teardropping! We are expanding.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby jhb » Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 pm

NevadaTear,

Festival style, though there are some "sort of " camp sites. The best place to camp if you are solar powered is in the meadow as there is little sunlight under the 4'-12', 2-300+' high redwoods. It's rumored that some guy will be there in the meadow cooking shrimp on the barbie (if I can find them, TJ's switched brands on us and we tossed what they replaced them with this past weekend). Speaking of which, Cathy did well in her triathlon (Wildflower) this weekend (meaning she finished and didn't hurt herself doing so).

Some groups hang out together in some of the "more private" (not really) areas, other sites are just a mishmash of folks, but to be sure, you will be drawn in by all around you. One person described it as several smaller gathers all in the same place. Two years ago there were a lot of folks in the meadow, and just in the trees from them (not more than 10-20 feet) there were lots more folks. The meadow/lower sites are really just one big group.

Other than the people, the special thing about the place is the Redwoods, and being just next to them or under them the whole time. When I drove in two years ago, Cathy and I had been camping for three weeks in coastal to central Oregon (lots of trees that seemed big), but while coming in from the east, I drove into the first redwood stand and released that all they have in Oregon (and any where else in the world) are shrubs.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon May 07, 2012 12:07 am

It's just a mater of finding a place that your teardrop will fit and park it. :twisted: .... :lol:

Just a couple of pictures I took at the first IRG. You can see more HERE.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 am

Pretty much the only rule is to save some upper spots for folks who can't make it up and down the stairs.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 am

thanks, everyone, see you there!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 am

The PG site has established areas with picnic tables and firepits. These sites are up on top, down in the middle, and beyond the back area fences......but there's more, much more.
If you go to the Pamplin Grove website you can see a map to get an idea of the layout. This map does show locations of sites we've labeled (Dean made the map in 2005) and last time many people camped out on the meadow. We will know by mid-May if we are able to camp there again with teardrops. Sometimes, depending on the seasonal weather, the teardrop was allowed to be handcarted in to the meadow area, but not the tow vehicle. In 2010 teardrops and vehicles were allowed in the meadow.

SITES WILL NEED TO BE SHARED (tables/firepits), and the sizes of sites varies. The tow vehicle is secondary -- we want the teardropS/TTT to have the camp space/sites. Depending on where you are, you may need to park a short distance away from your teardrop. WE ALSO WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU MAY BE ASKED TO MOVE YOUR VEHICLE OR TEARDROP TO ANOTHER SPOT IF IT BLOCKS ACCESS TO BATHROOMS, GARBAGE/RECYCLING, MEADOW ENTRANCE, LOOP ROAD PATH, is directly below a widowmaker branch, OR IS PARKED ON GREEN VEGETATION. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW THIS AS THE RANGERS WILL NOT HESITATE TO ASK you to REMOVE YOUR TD/VEHICLE .

This event sold out very quickly with many people returning who have camped with us before. Lots of folks camp together time after time, but not always in the same spot. The new attendees and old will have to mix in to accommodate all the trailers and vehicles. IF YOU ARE APPROACHED BY SOMEONE WHO GIVES YOU ADVICE ABOUT THE PLACEMENT OF YOUR TEAR OR VEHICLE, PLEASE HEED IT. Dean and I have asked for individuals to help each other and be courteous in the placement of their tear and vehicle. We have a core group of early birds who have helped in the set-up as the road is one lane and does not have a paved designated path in the lower forested area. We currently have the same amount of vehicles and trailers as last time, so we know everyone can fit in. When folks start to spread out with all their gear, EZ ups, attachments, etc. you have to be careful not to sprawl over into a space for another trailer or onto the green vegetation around the trees.

Other issues include people with pets -- in close proximity your animal needs to be well behaved, under your control and on leash. Dogs cannot be tethered to the trees or vegetation, and RANGERS STRICTLY ENFORCE THIS.
DOG OWNERS MUST PICK UP AFTER THEIR PETS!!! Nobody likes to have their trailer urinated on by pets, or step in a pile of it as they get of their trailer.

Those campers requiring a generator for medical issues, bring your own QUIET one. If it needs to run thru the night, PLEASE CONSIDER YOUR NEARBY NEIGHBORS. You may wish to camp near the top and not directly beside another teardrop. We operate a generator in the early morning for about an hour, and again in the evening that is located at the cookshack for our power up each day. Dean and I have allowed others to bring up their chargeable items and plug in at the CS when our generator is operating.

Due to the volume of campers arriving in a narrow window period, you will need to go slowly on the road, adjust tear/vehicle parking as needed, and NOT "SAVE SPOTS" for campers arriving a day or two later than you. Overall, we have found it to work out if you are willing to share sites with tables/firepits, and organize the placement of tears/vehicles with your nearby fellow campers.

Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Gage » Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:SITES WILL NEED TO BE SHARED (tables/firepits), and the sizes of sites varies. The tow vehicle is secondary -- we want the teardropS/TTT to have the camp space/sites. Depending on where you are, you may need to park a short distance away from your teardrop. WE ALSO WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU MAY BE ASKED TO MOVE YOUR VEHICLE OR TEARDROP TO ANOTHER SPOT IF IT BLOCKS ACCESS TO BATHROOMS, GARBAGE/RECYCLING, MEADOW ENTRANCE, LOOP ROAD PATH, is directly below a widowmaker branch, OR IS PARKED ON GREEN VEGETATION. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW THIS AS THE RANGERS WILL NOT HESITATE TO ASK you to REMOVE YOUR TD/VEHICLE .
Joanie

Well Joanie, you and that other woman won't have to worry about me parking my tear where Dean said I could and blocking someones short cut to the rest rooms. I've got me a room at a nice motel in Rio Dell. :o
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am

Gage, glad you got a room where you can be warm and comfortable. Most of the motels in the area are sold out in advance due to the Car Show. We look forward to seeing you there. This weekend is a MAJOR one in the area with almost all RV parks in the Fortuna filled/sold out as well as nearby campgrounds. REMINDER that it is a big camping weekend for locals as well, and many go to Swimmer's Delight where sites are on a first come, first served, no reservation system.
Joanie

P.S. Last event> Gage, The parking of your tear was okay, it was the extending lines of the tie downs which were in the pathway that I asked you to revise. The area you originally parked in is NOT a short cut to the bathroom, it is a major pathway for those camped on the other side of the road.
And the lady (handicapped) camped on the other side to allow those folks who had MORE limited access/and less ease of mobility than she to camp closer to the cookshack and bathrooms. THIS WHAT IS MEANT WHEN I SAY PLEASE DON'T GET OFFENDED/cranky IF YOU ARE ASKED TO ADJUST (or move) the position of your teardrop or vehicle, or other attachments that may cause difficulty traversing the pathways.
Nuff said about this on your prior stay, Gage. You agree to disagree, right?? :R

Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 am

What to pack now is the time to start that. I just refinished my floor and have some more things to add but I am starting to plan out what to bring. Many have the trailer always packed to leave at a wild moment for a fun time. Fortunately there are shops not to far away that will have what you forgot.
Among the things to bring is a gift. something new or old something that other can use camping or other wise. As we go along and as we help out we get tickets that the Hosts carry every day except sunday :roll: or something like that. At the end of the event we bring out our gift and put it on a table Some are big some are gift certificates, etc. you put your name on the tickets you have put them in the cookie jar so when that day comes you put your ticket on the gift you want and when all is done everyone should have something.
between the wonderful trailers that come and new ideas, and the new friends, great food even if you do not win a prize..... The real Prize to getting to go to the IRG.

And if you want to go to IRG 5.0 it will be in 2 years time to update your trailer, build a new one, Or start a IRG type festival in your area to the parties keep on coming. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Thank you all and espe3cially Joanie for the explanation. That helps a LOT see you all on Thursday early! Hopefully we will be at Swimmer's delight for a few days before to visit Randy's cousin who lives in Fortuna.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rmclarke » Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm

nevadatear wrote:Thank you all and espe3cially Joanie for the explanation. That helps a LOT

+1

That answered a lot of my questions. I had thought that all trailers were separated from their TVs....a lot of our 'extra' stuff is left in the pickup and I was wondering how far I would have to go to get access to it.

We're excited we will be able to make it this year and are looking forward to meeting new and old friends!
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby mrsanderson » Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm

[quote="Ron Dickey"]91773

Among the things to bring is a gift. something new or old something that other can use camping or other wise. As we go along and as we help out we get tickets that the Hosts carry every day except sunday :roll: or something like that. At the end of the event we bring out our gift and put it on a table Some are big some are gift certificates, etc. you put your name on the tickets you have put them in the cookie jar so when that day comes you put your ticket on the gift you want and when all is done everyone should have something.
between the wonderful trailers that come and new ideas, and the new friends, great food even if you do not win a prize..... The real Prize to getting to go to the IRG.

This is our first year so this is good to know! :thinking: I've checked the IRG website and must have missed this info....is there anything else we need to know Ron??
5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics
mrsanderson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Ron Dickey wrote: you put your name on the tickets you have put them in the cookie jar so when that day comes you put your ticket on the gift you want and when all is done everyone should have something. :thumbsup:

Well that's close but not quite. You do put your name on the tickets but you put them in bags by the item/s you might want. Others will do the same but depending on how many tickets you put into a bag, you may win that item. :twisted:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Jefferson State