Bike Mount inside Cargo Conversion

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Bike Mount inside Cargo Conversion

Postby DANJR » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:11 am

Hello TNTTT,

Just joined the forum and will be starting a build thread on a cargo trailer conversion. I've come here in the past and enjoyed seeing everyone's builds, and the bug finally caught.

Long story short the wife and I relocated to the front range and purchased a 6x12 v nose I'll be converting to a basic toyhauler/hard sided tent. We've really gotten into mountain biking, and I wanted to see some ideas of how people have stored/transported their bikes INSIDE trailers. We'd like to keep our bikes secure and safe from the elements, as well as be ready to ride (not removing wheels, etc to store). Ideally, this would take up the smallest footprint possible as well.

I'll start a build thread in the Cargo Trailer Conversion section soon, but am trying to gather some one off ideas on a few topics first.

Lets see what you've done for inside bike storage or any ideas you've got!

Thanks,
DANJR
DANJR
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bike Mount inside Cargo Conversion

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 am

This is something I've been toying around with myself. The smallest footprint is obviously bikes nested side by side in opposite directions if horizontal or bottom of tires to handle bars if vertical. The problem is that my 29er is 6'3" in length so vertical is most likely out and side to side needs a 6'6" wide trailer. What I came to was that it was best to build around hauling bikes with front wheel off(not really a big deal to deal with). This gives you a lower overall height of the bike and a shorter length by about 15" without adding to the footprint any since it is very easy to nest front wheels in between bikes. The design I came up with was a rear hatch for bikes/storage with a bed built over it on the inside.

Curious to see what others come up with though. One thing about this is that I would consider a rooftop cargo box for storing sweaty, stinky clothes.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 pm

In my cargo trailer .. I used to just lay one of our bikes on the bed. [with a seperate blanket that I didn't mind if it got dirty] The other was just kind of Bungied up right beside the bed.

My have a Promaster van as a tow vehicle now. I Installed elevated roof racks inside the vehicle for them.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby DANJR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Might have to go with a fork mount high on the wall, allowing rear tire to sit on the ground and bikes to be stored vertically to take up the least amount of space. Was hoping to avoid adjusting brakes after wheel install everytime, but would allow the smallest footprint.

I'd like to have the beds deployable and keep the bikes stored in their travel position, so I will likely target a storage area on the wall opposite the side door as the bed will be in the back of the trailer.
DANJR
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Bicycles