Welcome to the bicycle forum

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Arne » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:04 pm

I own two recumbents... a rans vivo, with dual suspension, swb... and a fold rush lwb.. Made by easy racers, it is a foldable version of their gold rush.

The fold rush has a 400 watt electric motor on it.... the vivo is great for short distances (less than 10 miles) and rough roads...

The fold rush is great for rides over 20 miles, especially if their are hills... then I use the helper motor.

I average 12 mph on the vivo and about 15 with the fold rush.

Will post a couple of pics on my aero-1 site sometime.

oh, I used to ride uprights, then as I aged my a$$ hurt, my wrists hurt, my neck hurt.... on a recumbent only my calves ache.... I had stopped riding altogether, then after about 5 years, saw a 'bent on a TV show, called California and ordered one the next day.... never looked back.

They are not that great on hills, their only drawback.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TheBizMan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:19 pm

My wife and I both have recumbent trikes and have been riding them for 5-6 years. Love them. No back, knee, neck or arm pain. My wife had major back surgery and was riding again after 7 months. Both are deltas and I'm going to buy a tadpole soon. I posted this picture some time ago, but here it is again. The trike is an EZ-3 from EasyRacers and is sold by sun. They run about $900 new. I could never ride an upright again.

Last edited by TheBizMan on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Sunday ride

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 am

A ride above JPL called Arroyo Seco on the Prieto trail.
Google earth approx
34°12'57.55"N 118°10'6.03"W
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Re: Sunday ride

Postby elmo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:51 am

Ma3tt wrote:Image
A ride above JPL called Arroyo Seco on the Prieto trail.
Google earth approx
34°12'57.55"N 118°10'6.03"W

Very cool!! I wish I had that kind of stuff by me!! I think that is why I turned into a roadie more than the mountain bike stuff.

I think the funnest mountain biking I did was out in Red Rock, NV. It looked like that with a few more red rocks!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby jhjspecks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:24 am

one of the "goofy" bike cops here, so alot of my riding is inner city on duty and then alot of us get together and ride trails for fun. I currently have my rebuilt cannondale until i can afford a nicer upgrade.
jhjspecks
Teardrop Builder

Postby toypusher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:14 pm

I used to ride off road a bit too. Sorry for the quality, but it is a picture of a picture (I only have a large framed pic of this)

toypusher
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:53 pm

I know you guys like to build stuff.... There's a site out there for AtomicZombie.com that shows how to make a variety of bicycles out of old bicycle parts and junk... we made a recumbent and a couple choppers ...we're 6'3"and 235 and 60 yrs... still pedalin'... just cooler, easier now ... choppers are especially comfortable for us old guys, and the kiddies love them too...Can't ride on mountain/road bikes anymore , too hard on the old back ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:31 pm

I ride the paint creek trail every chance I get. I don't have any pictures... but next time I get out I'll take my camera.

I did find this on the web...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 pm

We have quite a bit of railtrails (rails to trails) around here, but I have not riden much of it at all. I have to put the bike in my truck and drive somewhere to get to it.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:08 pm

mike thats a LOT of leaves to contend with.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby SouthernGirl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 am

I've been lurking occasionally but haven't been posting.

So glad you have added the bike forum.

Love the trikes.

When camping I usually carry both a road and mountain bike. But I am looking for a vintage steel road bike so I don't have to carry the carbon baby camping.
Susan
SouthernGirl
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Temps are going to be in the 90's all week. I may not get out to Paint Creek trail this week...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Mike, thanks for adding the Bike Forum. Is this a rails to trails that you ride? Kind of looks like an old rail road right away. We have many such trails in the Puget Sound area from old logging rails, some link together. We really enjoy them. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes, this is a rails to trails path that I ride. It also connects to the Polly Ann trail, the Clinton River trail, and the Macomb trail.

I could ride all weekend and never get to the end... but alas, there is not that much time in a weekend... with the other stuff I need to get done...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MrBuzz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:50 am

I do a lot of trail riding in my area too. At my gym I have been doing spinning classes for 5+ years...really a workout and improves heart/lung function.
Many years ago I built a couple of recumbents using plans from the internet....BenTech was the website. He's still out there, nice kits and plans.
I really liked the recumbents...not so much for the comfort of the seat (although it was very nice), but it takes so much strain off my neck, wrists and shoulders.
A lot of people comment about not liking recumbents on hills. I never understood that. I don't climb fast no matter what I ride so the recumbent is like any other bike...I just shift down and grind away on the pedals.
The big problem has always been transporting the bikes, they don't fit conventional bike racks very well at all.
Currently I have two conventional roadbikes that I use when I ride with groups and I also have a cheapo, aluminum frame, front suspension mountain-type bike that I put road tires on. I really like that bike for around town.

Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles