Welcome to the bicycle forum

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Welcome to the bicycle forum

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:51 am

Welcome to the bike forum.

Since there was a lot of discussion on bicycles in a few other threads, I decided to add this subject area here.

So bring on your bike discussions...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Recumbents

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 am

Ok Mike...here we go. I'm getting older and fatter. Getting harder to ride on traditional road bike, and considering switching to a recumbent. Maybe a Sun or Rans. Anybody have any suggestions or preferences?
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 am

Here are some pics of what I just got on the 25th(the important stuff anyway)

Jamis Ventura Elite (54cm) Shimano 105 Shifters, front derailler, Ultegra rear derailler, CB forks and seat stays, CB seat post.
Check Jamis website for more info.

Lois Garneau EgroAir 2 shoes

Giro Havoc helmet

And here is the old one that I just sold
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 am

Hey Dan,

I don't know anything about recumbents. I assume you have a place to ride?

I do most of my riding on a rail trail, and for that, my Gary Fisher Utopia is just the ticket...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Recumbents

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:36 am

prohandyman wrote:Ok Mike...here we go. I'm getting older and fatter. Getting harder to ride on traditional road bike, and considering switching to a recumbent. Maybe a Sun or Rans. Anybody have any suggestions or preferences?

ok.. this is a pretty broad situation.

first a recumbent may not be your only solutition.. "we" need much more info.

what are your problems with your current bike. what is your current bike.. does it fit you?

Recumbents can vary greatly from one to another. test riding is very important. what do you expect to do for riding?
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby elmo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 pm

prohandyman wrote:Ok Mike...here we go. I'm getting older and fatter. Getting harder to ride on traditional road bike, and considering switching to a recumbent. Maybe a Sun or Rans. Anybody have any suggestions or preferences?

You could probally start a new topic on this, so it doesn't get buried. Also I am sure there is a lot of people on the board that has them that could answer a lot of stuff about them and why they went the route of a recumbent.

Unfortunitely the shop I worked for only had the short lived Cannondale recumbent. I know I didn't like it for climbing hills!!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby elmo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Oh....I almost forgot!!!!

THANKS MIKE!!!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Mike
I ride on our country roads to minimize traffic encounters.
My wife has a similar bike to yours, and it allows me to ride more upright. At 6'3" and 260#, my size makes it difficult to to keep bent over on the road bike, and the aging effects on my elbows and wrists are not getting better. I have looked at several recumbents and cross styles.
Fenlason
I currently have a 63cm Trek 2000, with carbon Bontrager rims, stays, post and bar. And it fits me fine. But, with tear building, fishing, main and side jobs, bike riding has taken a back seat, with casual riding more the norm. One of my biggest problems is elbow pain and leaning on them as you do when riding a road bike really shows their condition.
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mauleskinner » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:56 pm

I had a Burley Canto prior to building my wooden recumbent...Burley's out of business, but here are some general thoughts based on riding it.

It could be set up for either short or long wheel base. I road it as a LWB, and was pretty happy with how it handled. My homebuilt is SWB, and I find it to be a little squirrelier...probably has a little to do with the way I set up the handlebars as well, but I think a LWB is generally easier to ride.

A couple of things I didn't like about the Canto...First, the rear wheel arms were cantilevered...no triangles for strength, and allowed for too much frame flex when pulling my B.O.B. trailer. Scared the heck out of me once, in fact. Fortunately just scared, but far too close to seriously injured for my taste. (woulda' been a 35 mph crash on, or more likely into the trees alongside of, a gravel road)

The seat back basically had the same issue...no bracing at the top, so if you tend to push against your back when pedalling, you'd get a fair amount of flex. Just made me nervous about metal fatigue.

The thing that really got me building my own, though, was the fact that it really wasn't set up for racks, etc...had a rear rack on it, but I want to do a little touring eventually, and it just couldn't carry stuff.

I also think the gearing is too high on most bikes, but I'm fat and out of shape ;) I haven't figured out the whole "gear inches" thing, but basically the crank and rear wheel (26") are turning the same RPM in the lowest gear, and that's AFTER I changed to a smaller chainring. I put the same drivetrain on my homebuilt, and found that I really need lower gears...just too much temptation to push hard climbing hills. Bad for the knees. I bought a wrecked mountain bike for the drive train, and that will give me about 2/3 rev on the drive wheel for every rev on the crank, so hopefully I'll be able to spin up the hills.

There ya go...random ramblings...and for the record, I could never do hills on diamond frames, either ;)

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby D.J. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:08 pm

They call them comfort bikes for a reason . The wide tires make for a comfortable ride but may be harder to turn than a road bike . These days I'm in no hurry though . The seating position is upright and the seat is wide . I also use a gel seat cover . They go on sale for about $150.00 . ... D.J.

Vintage is always an option . This is my 1933 Eaton's Glider . The seat is very comfortable .

You can also make teardrop shaped accessories .

D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:08 pm

prohandyman wrote:Mike
I ride on our country roads to minimize traffic encounters.
My wife has a similar bike to yours, and it allows me to ride more upright. At 6'3" and 260#, my size makes it difficult to to keep bent over on the road bike, and the aging effects on my elbows and wrists are not getting better. I have looked at several recumbents and cross styles.
Fenlason
I currently have a 63cm Trek 2000, with carbon Bontrager rims, stays, post and bar. And it fits me fine. But, with tear building, fishing, main and side jobs, bike riding has taken a back seat, with casual riding more the norm. One of my biggest problems is elbow pain and leaning on them as you do when riding a road bike really shows their condition.

There could still be lots of slight fit issues.. which would be pretty hard to diagnos online.. hmm profile shot of you riding your bike would help. Just having the nose of the saddle down a little, will cause your hands arms and shoulders to hurt.

There are alterations that could be made to your bike so improve it some.

There are also now road bikes that have a slightly shorter top tube. and a taller head tube. so you can have the multiple positions of a road bike without it being as agressive.

I don't own a recumbent, but have ridden maybe 20 or so different ones. They each have their way, and or purpose... and each have their own feel.

I can say I have had any major likes or dislikes.. among them.

Some are easier for a newbie to ride.. than others... some can be a handful to start with. The bike E for one was easy to get on an ride, but it was not a very efficient bike. it is not one I would try to ride fast... or ride for any great distances.

The Ryan tandem was toooooo long for my preferences.

My next Tandem will probably be a reumbent trike. The greenspeed is currently at the top of the list.

Again try some out. Go to a shop that specilizes in bents [if you can find one] and ride anything you can get your hands on.

glenn 8)
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Glenn
I have tried several, and I will agree...the Greenspeed is a very nice machine. Steering is a little twichy at first. As far as "bents", I kind of like the Sun EZ sport.
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Dj.. I love your old bike :thumbsup:

I also love your rear rack on the other.. I recognized it right away.. I have one of those old vaccums kicking around somewhere :D

glenn 8)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:35 pm

prohandyman wrote:Glenn
I have tried several, and I will agree...the Greenspeed is a very nice machine. Steering is a little twichy at first. As far as "bents", I kind of like the Sun EZ sport.

The market has changed so much.. many companies have come and gone. I have not ridden the Sun bents. My preference for the Greenspeed was specifically for the tandem trike. As has been said the swb machines can be a little on the twitchy side. Although even they varied from bike to bike.

maybe there are some other bent owners here who will speak up.

I myself am an avid cyclist of many years.. and have worked the last 26 in a shop. I had a friend that owned another shop [ who at one time specialzed in bents] he had a shop ride and made me try another bike everytime I showed up.
I never got to get used to any one of them that way... :(

while there are still bent riders around.. many that had gone over to them are now going back to road bikes :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby prohandyman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:49 pm

I would hate to think that I paid for a bent (which aren't cheap) then went back to a road! If I get any more decrepid I might have to get one of these....
Image This isn't exactly a Greenspeed! Or any speed for that matter! :lol:
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Bicycles