bike hauling pod

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

bike hauling pod

Postby tjdale » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 pm

I have not been looking at this site for about a year and am just getting back. I am thinking of building a tiny trailer pod that can be hauled on my 5X10 open flat bed utility trailer and removed when not needed. It needs only the bare minimum---nothing fancy. A bed, a place for a camp stove, cooler, and potty, and storage. But it needs to also be able to haul my recumbent---maybe my short wheel base and/or my trike. I have seen several squarish designs that can be adapted for my use but have seen no built trailers like this. I am thinking of having a rear entrance rather then or in addition to a side entrance, making it easier to roll the bike in.

One big question I have is with wt placement over the axles on the flat bed. I do not want to move the axles but am not sure how to best design the pod to properly distribute the wt.

Another problem is a mechanism for moving the pod on and off the trailer. I have thought about mounting the jacks used on drop-in pick up campers, but these are really expensive. Maybe a deck in the yard with a boat winch mounted which can slide it off the trailer onto the deck?!

Any pics out there which might help my plans? Any ideas which might help?
tjdale
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am

schedule 80 (thick wall ) pvc as rollers 3 or 4 sticks the bigger around the better.

No need for a winch I move 2000 - 2500 lb. minibarns with 4 ~ 4" x 8' pvc rollers with relative ease across a lawn.

Don't thank me thank the folks that built the pyramids
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

bobhenry wrote:schedule 80 (thick wall ) pvc as rollers 3 or 4 sticks the bigger around the better.

No need for a winch I move 2000 - 2500 lb. minibarns with 4 ~ 4" x 8' pvc rollers with relative ease across a lawn.

Don't thank me thank the folks that built the pyramids

PVC is great I'm going to make a other trailer to Hall a TD made most lee out of PVC pipe an wood. :crazy:
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Bicycles