Two free bikes for me.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Two free bikes for me.

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 am

Ok I'm new here to the bicycle thingy...but I'm starting to trim down a little, and I thought I'd give this a second chance. I haven't rode a bike since I got my driver's licences. :lol:
Anyway in my search for a new bicycle...I came across two freebies from a friend...here is the first one...

Wal-mart special???

I have questions about this one. I'd like to fix it up and was curious about who makes them, I haven't found anything on the web yet, so I thought I'd try to tap this "fount o' knowledge"....

Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Fenlason » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 am

Johnny the first bike is a department store quality bike. off hand it looks barely used. It would be small for you. I am not sure about your wife.

Some people start with something like this, to see if they like riding. some know right away and buy a better bike. Some because of the quality, don't like it, and never move on to a nice bike. Although I can't understand it, some people just don't like biking.. :thinking: :roll: 8)

there are some people that are perfectly content on a bike like this.

the Blue bike.. I still can't tell how expensive a bike it is, or What kind it is. It looks better made than a bottom end bike.

On "our" home thread, I posted a link to the shop that sold it.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 am

Here's what I found on the Dyno:

http://www.dynobikes.com/catalog/glide.php

Looks like a nice bike.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Tim, I found that one too. It looks like maybe mine is an older model and the badges and names changed a little?
What I'm really looking for here is a good parts source. I found a few on-line. We don't have a bike shop here in town...about 30 miles away we do. Would a bike shop have things like fenders, seats, etc for this style? Is it a common style bike?
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Fenlason » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Tim, I found that one too. It looks like maybe mine is an older model and the badges and names changed a little?
What I'm really looking for here is a good parts source. I found a few on-line. We don't have a bike shop here in town...about 30 miles away we do. Would a bike shop have things like fenders, seats, etc for this style? Is it a common style bike?

fenders would be just wrong on that bike.. :roll:

Fenders are often a try it and see type of thing. seats. ect. are not specific to that make.

At "my" shop. we would have some parts, others would be a special order.. but only because we are in a local that does not sell much for crusiers. places that have a cruiser market should have all kinds of stuff.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Johnny

The blue bike with the gator tag is about the only kind of bike you see down here on the beach, guess that's why they call it a beach cruiser. Just don't try to take it up Mount Scott. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Sun May 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Tim, I found that one too. It looks like maybe mine is an older model and the badges and names changed a little?

Fenders are often a try it and see type of thing. seats. ect. are not specific to that make.

At "my" shop. we would have some parts, others would be a special order.. but only because we are in a local that does not sell much for crusiers. places that have a cruiser market should have all kinds of stuff.

Ahhh come on Glenn...big old white wall tires, chrome fenders, and some pinstriping...wouldn't it be cool. :D
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Laredo » Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 pm

small fenders -- really more mudguards than fenders -- would be fine on that bike IMO.

It cries out for a cargo rack in back as well.

Since you have only a minimal investment in them already, take a gander at the Mother Earth News website article on building up a bike. Even the purple one ought to be suitable for use after a trip through that exercise, and it would give you an idea about whether / how much you want to upgrade the blue bike too.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Levi » Tue May 05, 2009 1:15 pm

The blue one is a nice bike. It's a cruiser and comes from a good manufacturer.

and fenders would be wrong on it. It needs a handlebar mounted beer holder
Levi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby HalfTrack » Tue May 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Levi posted "and fenders would be wrong on it. " I'd definately go with the Beer Holders, maybe Twin beer holders! Take a look at a similar styled bike with fenders. When I got it, I knew it would look better (my opinion) with fenders.
Also Like Fenalson said " Fenders are often a try it and see type of thing."
Here are my examples.

Image[/quote]
HalfTrack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I think the fender issue solved itself today. I rode to work in the rain and got a lot of "splashing". I think a trip to the bike shop in Lawton is in order this payday.
:lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby kennyrayandersen » Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Fenders? We don’t need no stinking fenders! Unless it rains! :lol

I don’t have a bike with fenders or a kickstand for that matter, but I can see why someone would want them.

Follow YOUR dream!
:thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Tue May 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Riding to work in rain especially heavy rain can be a soaking event indeed.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 31, 2009 7:04 am

Fenlason wrote:

I was seeing it more as a stripped down "rat bike".

fenders white walls and pinstriping is cool..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles