Freebie

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Freebie

Postby bobby dublin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Camped over at the grandfolks' bayou spot this weekend. Upon packing up to go I noticed an "old" bike just setting there. Asked Poppa about it and he said he wanted to get rid of it. The only catch was it had no seat. Started looking at it, the bike is practically brand new. It has just been in the weather and needs some TLC. It is a Huffy Cruiser. I'll get some pics of it before and after. Free bikes rule!
Patiently Yours,
Bobby Dub
:pipe:
bobby dublin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby emiller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 am

I like to see some pictures of it. You can find out the year and other stuff here at http://oldroads.com/d_bll_def.asp?rec_count=1 and might be able to get a seat here at http://www.memorylane-classics.com/ and then join the http://balloontiresociety.ning.com/ :thumbsup:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a bunch of bikes, all freebies, got them in various states of disrepair.

My favourite is a old skool shopper.

I also had a great old Raleigh forlder that I gave to my mate Dave in Germany.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 1912 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm

I have a couple of these, Huffy beach cruisers, with 2.125x26 tires that I use just for the desert. The dry lake beds we go to make these bikes perfect. And I got them so cheap I don't worry about them, with the corrosive action of the alkali dust not worrying me, like I would my good bikes.
Mark

CampInn #214
Subaru Forester
Eddyline kayaks
Specialized bicycles

\^/
/_\
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Freebie

Postby jan4peace » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm

bobby dublin wrote:Camped over at the grandfolks' bayou spot this weekend. Upon packing up to go I noticed an "old" bike just setting there. Asked Poppa about it and he said he wanted to get rid of it. The only catch was it had no seat. Started looking at it, the bike is practically brand new. It has just been in the weather and needs some TLC. It is a Huffy Cruiser. I'll get some pics of it before and after. Free bikes rule!

Hey to ya!

I didn't read your whole thread...just noticed the freebie tag. I just got a freebie bike today myself. Any suggestions on rust removal? It just has it along the tire rims and handle bars... I plan to paint the rest of the metal. How do you like your new bike?
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Ah yes the right price, but, I remember a Huffy toss competition and a mountain biking event.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 pm

happy_teardrops wrote: Any suggestions on rust removal? It just has it along the tire rims and handle bars... I plan to paint the rest of the metal. How do you like your new bike?

Don't know how it will work on the rims and handle bars; but I freed up a rusted drive chain on numerous occasions by letting it soak in cola (Classic Coke seems to work the best.) If it's just light surface rust on your shiny parts, the cola trick might work with some fine steel wool.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby jan4peace » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 am

tinksdad wrote:
happy_teardrops wrote: Any suggestions on rust removal? It just has it along the tire rims and handle bars... I plan to paint the rest of the metal. How do you like your new bike?

Don't know how it will work on the rims and handle bars; but I freed up a rusted drive chain on numerous occasions by letting it soak in cola (Classic Coke seems to work the best.) If it's just light surface rust on your shiny parts, the cola trick might work with some fine steel wool.

Thank you for the tips! Funny you should mention cola, I had read that in a book. I even tried dabbing it on and scrubbing with a soap pad, but it got too tedious. I really need to take the wheels and handle off to make it more doable. It is pretty much "light surface rust" like you said. Someone on another thread suggested orpho, but I wonder if that is overkill for this small job. I still want to try soaking the rusted pieces in cola. Thanks again :)
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby D.J. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 pm

happy_teardrops wrote:
Hey to ya!

I just got a freebie bike today myself. Any suggestions on rust removal? It just has it along the tire rims and handle bars... I plan to paint the rest of the metal. How do you like your new bike?

"Turtle Wax" rubbing compound works great on the chrome and the paint . A coat of wax on both when your done and it will look like a new bike . ..... D.J.

D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby jan4peace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:35 pm

D.J. wrote:
happy_teardrops wrote:
Hey to ya!

I just got a freebie bike today myself. Any suggestions on rust removal? It just has it along the tire rims and handle bars... I plan to paint the rest of the metal. How do you like your new bike?

"Turtle Wax" rubbing compound works great on the chrome and the paint . A coat of wax on both when your done and it will look like a new bike . ..... D.J.

Thank you! :) I will give this a try! My hubby took the wheels and chain off for me so I could clean and paint it a little easier. I'm ready to get this underway for our 1st camping trip in the newly built camper. I cannot wait!
:applause:
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jan4peace » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:54 am

I have been to only one store this week that sells anything remotely like harware/industrial cleaner which was limited. The only thing I could find to remove rust at that store was CLR. Because it was fairly inexpensive, I bought some. So far, it's working great. It's eating through the soap pads I'm using as scrubbers, but the rust is coming off and I'm beginning to see a little shine in the metal :) Yay! My hubby said I will never find light pink spray paint though, but fingers crossed I will :)
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

rust remover

Postby saladgirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 pm

for light rust, you can try liquid version of "Bar Keepers Friend". I used it on my scooters exhaust when it had rust spots and some other chrome(motorscooter;)Sally 8)
saladgirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:25 pm

emiller wrote:I like to see some pictures of it. You can find out the year and other stuff here at http://oldroads.com/d_bll_def.asp?rec_count=1 and might be able to get a seat here at http://www.memorylane-classics.com/ and then join the http://balloontiresociety.ning.com/ :thumbsup:

Thanks for those links. :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Return to Bicycles