Specialized does a retro throwback with down tube shifters

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:50 am

Here's a great video of first time experience riding on a Velodrome with professional guidance and explanation.

Velodrome First Time

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
mikeschn wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
My favorite is the 1987 Cannondale Black Lightning. Aluminum, 12 Speed Suntour with downtube shifters. That puppy is light!

Looks like about 21 pounds. That's light!!!

Looks good too!

Mike...

I like the look of it.. :D

today's standards.. that is heavy. :o

I've had it weighed a couple of times, it weighs just over 19 lbs.

There comes a point where, to shed a few grams, might as well ride barefoot. :D

My Cannondale with the same frame.. Dura Ace components and sew ups.. and the very light Aero Lite pedals.. weighs over 20 pounds.

With these new bikes.. I am not talking a few grams.. I am talking pounds...We routinely sell bikes in the 16 pound area.. and we have some out there at 14 something. We have sold a full suspension mountain bike.. at 16 something pounds [that one was sick] .. and these bikes are stiffer, and more efficient.. as well as more comfortable.. than these older bikes.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 am

Fenlason wrote:
With these new bikes.. I am not talking a few grams.. I am talking pounds...We routinely sell bikes in the 16 pound area.. and we have some out there at 14 something. We have sold a full suspension mountain bike.. at 16 something pounds [that one was sick] .. and these bikes are stiffer, and more efficient.. as well as more comfortable.. than these older bikes.

That's pretty amazing.

The only bike I have that I bought new is my mountain bike. Trek 7000, vintage 1994 (that's when I started riding, on my 40th birthday)

I get sticker shock when I have to buy tires!

I plan on riding the Cannondale until I am no longer able to ride.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:34 am

Fenlason wrote:
caseydog wrote:Have any of you bike enthusiast ridden a single speed on a velodrome? There is on about a mile from my house. I've never tried it, but people come from all over Dallas and beyond to ride on the velodrome. It looks like fun.

CD

No.. the closest to here is in Pennsylvania :(

I would love to try it.

Another reason to come to Dallas. Here is a link to our "Superdrome."

http://www.superdrome.com/

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:01 pm

caseydog wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
caseydog wrote:Have any of you bike enthusiast ridden a single speed on a velodrome? There is on about a mile from my house. I've never tried it, but people come from all over Dallas and beyond to ride on the velodrome. It looks like fun.

CD

No.. the closest to here is in Pennsylvania :(

I would love to try it.

Another reason to come to Dallas. Here is a link to our "Superdrome."

http://www.superdrome.com/

CD

That's pretty sweet..

our version..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yPnX5jy9j8
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

That's pretty amazing.

The only bike I have that I bought new is my mountain bike. Trek 7000, vintage 1994 (that's when I started riding, on my 40th birthday)

I get sticker shock when I have to buy tires!

I plan on riding the Cannondale until I am no longer able to ride.

they get to a point.. and one asks.. how can they get any better.. an wow! they do.

the upper end products are getting pricey. some of it.. they just make it because there is someone who will buy it...

but in general stuff is sooo much better than years ago.. even at the same price.

hmm I don't recall how old my Serotta Mountain bike is.. somewhere around early 90's.. it was a fully rigid 25 pound bike.. it sold for $1995.00

Todays for that money.. you get soooo much more bike.

If you are happy with your bike.. [why not it is a nice bike] keep it. [just don't test ride a new one.. :lol:

The only problem I see with your bike.. is it has a Suntour drivetrain.. and compatible parts are not available.. so if you need a chain and Cassette.. you are in trouble. :(
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I bought a couple cassettes while they were still available. I'm running a standard chain now? Didn't realize there was a difference
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Here's a great video of first time experience riding on a Velodrome with professional guidance and explanation.

Velodrome First Time

Scott

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:I bought a couple cassettes while they were still available. I'm running a standard chain now? Didn't realize there was a difference

the chain is fine.. I was just meaning when they both wore out... the cassette would be a problem.. but it sounds like you are golden.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:I bought a couple cassettes while they were still available. I'm running a standard chain now? Didn't realize there was a difference

the chain is fine.. I was just meaning when they both wore out... the cassette would be a problem.. but it sounds like you are golden.. :thumbsup:

As I said mine had Dura Ace.. and that first indexed group existed for 6 months.. before they changed it.. so.. I am out of luck. :(
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:39 pm

It amazes me how quickly bike components change, and how they are not required to stock any spare parts at all!

Probably because cyclists tend to upgrade so quickly if they ride hard...
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:It amazes me how quickly bike components change, and how they are not required to stock any spare parts at all!

Probably because cyclists tend to upgrade so quickly if they ride hard...

your bike is, in model years.. 24 years old.. that is quite old.. in bike years. Yet stuff older than that is easier to get parts for.

I belief car companies do it by law.. there is nothing on the books for bikes.. for the most part the government still considers bikes toys.

The main problem with your parts... was that Suntour completely ceased doing business in the US.. at one point anyways.. there now.. some very low end parts with the Suntour name on it.

My bike I could fix.. but I would just have to by too many parts to fix it.. it is better to replace it.

How old does a computor have to be before it is not longer worth fixing?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby MountainBiker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:38 pm

My stepfather has a Raleigh from the early 70's that I drool over everytime I am down there, but he won't part with it yet. It's one of the old 5 speeds.
I quit society when I found out toothpicks came with instructions
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Fenlason wrote:How old does a computer have to be before it is not longer worth fixing?

Well, I tend to keep mine (computers, that is) and dedicate them to specialized tasks. Print server, network storage, video surveillance, Pandora. :D

My desktop is 3 years old, and my laptop is 2. They both are feeling their age. :oops:

As with bikes, they get faster and cheaper all the time.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby COCamper » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm

These are all amazing vintage bikes. I like your comment about making steel frames for people who don't want it for a fixie. Banana seat... Classic! One of my good friends restored an old schwinn pretty similar to that one. Now just to get a rack for my teardrop and I'm set!
COCamper
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles