Time to rebuild

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Time to rebuild

Postby rich5665 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:17 pm

This is a "stock" photo of my 2000 Specialized HardRock that I bought in 2001.

The bike was left over inventory and on sale a great price. After the first year I made some small upgrades

1999 RoxShox Judy
Performance Bike Semi-Slick Tires
Nashbar Aluminum Riser Handle Bar
Specialized Light Weight Gel Seat
Nashbar Bar Ends
SRAM Grips

Well a decade of use that included a Century Ride, several Half Centuries, and countless short rides has taken it's toll. I estimate I've put a couple of thousand miles on the bike and it has served me well. I tossed the bike in the trash one day and someone grab it. A few weeks later it was back in the trash. I took it as a sign that the bike was meant to come back home and be rebuilt. The SRAM Shifters have begun to crumble, the cables are in even worse shape. Thankfully the shock, derailluers, and various other components can be saved.

My planned upgrades:
8 Speed Shifters
8 Speed Cassette
Cables and Brake Pads
Tires and Tubes
Seat
Chain
rich5665
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JuneBug » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:28 am

Dang, that is an absolute classic; Specialized makes some great bikes. Is it aluminum? That is too funny that it was returned to the trash!

I've often regretted selling my 90's something Rockhopper for $50 back in the day.

Amazing that you have done Centuries on it! Enjoy another happy decade of riding it!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby rich5665 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Chromoly Frame. Still lighter than my wifes Pacific Beach Cruiser that she got at Target.
rich5665
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JuneBug » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 pm

rich5665 wrote:Chromoly Frame.

Even better!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby stevem50 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 pm

i have re-built my share of bikes, so a few words of advice-
dont skimp on the cassette, i prefer shimano but sram not bad either-
if on a budget, nashbar or performance house brand shifters, REALLY, they are actually decent, and can be had for about 30 bucks a set.
aztec has cable kits that have wire,housing,ends,ferrules, everything for less than 20 bucks a set.(usually $12-15) 1 for shifter,1 for brake. and forte(performance brand) tires. pisgah for off road, slick city for commuter. think they are on sale this week...

b.t.w.- i just put one of those red 99' judys (mine from an stumpy fsr) on my son's bike, they were great then and still are. that fork still has original seals in it with no leaks
stevem50
Teardrop Master

Postby rich5665 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:06 pm

stevem50 wrote:b.t.w.- i just put one of those red 99' judys (mine from an stumpy fsr) on my son's bike, they were great then and still are. that fork still has original seals in it with no leaks

Same here, the shock has been outstanding
rich5665
Teardrop Advisor

Postby stevem50 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 pm

i say it too much, but i'll take the "old" stuff over the current crap anyday. yes, it does perform much better WHEN it works, but for the most part, it is designed to be replaced rather than serviced
stevem50
Teardrop Master

Return to Bicycles