Anyone else feel "SURLY"?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby MegC » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Oh jeez... I've got 2 mountain bikes, 1 road bike, 1 'bent (that I need to unload, just didn't work for me), and a 26" wheeled scooter w/ suspension fork. Other half has 1 'bent, 1 mid-70s Peugeot road bike (awesome ride), 1 road bike, and 2 mountain bikes.

I just got my Ibis Mojo out of the shop from it's yearly off-season overhaul (got a new front wheel on warranty, yay!), and am waiting until post-holidays to take my old backup Marin in for the same since the fork is clunking in the frame and I can't get it tightened up. And the derailleur I had to bend back. Is that bottom bracket creak? And a half dozen other things I've thrashed over probably 2000+ miles on that thing.... :oops:

Fortunately we've got access to an excellent local shop, and the $$$ I've spent with them has been worth it. The guys tell me I wouldn't wear out stuff if I'd quit riding so much....
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 pm

MegC wrote:Oh jeez... I've got 2 mountain bikes, 1 road bike, 1 'bent (that I need to unload, just didn't work for me), and a 26" wheeled scooter w/ suspension fork. Other half has 1 'bent, 1 mid-70s Peugeot road bike (awesome ride), 1 road bike, and 2 mountain bikes.

I just got my Ibis Mojo out of the shop from it's yearly off-season overhaul (got a new front wheel on warranty, yay!), and am waiting until post-holidays to take my old backup Marin in for the same since the fork is clunking in the frame and I can't get it tightened up. And the derailleur I had to bend back. Is that bottom bracket creak? And a half dozen other things I've thrashed over probably 2000+ miles on that thing.... :oops:

Fortunately we've got access to an excellent local shop, and the $$$ I've spent with them has been worth it. The guys tell me I wouldn't wear out stuff if I'd quit riding so much....

I have been a pro wrench for almost 30 years.. so I do my own maintenance [and of course I save on parts] which saves me some money. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I would really like to add a Moonlander to the stable.

I have also been looking at the Karate Monkey..

I have been thinking about building something of a scorcher.

A karate monkey might be a good starting base for that project.. although a Trek Sawyer is being contemplated for that also. :thinking:
Last edited by Fenlason on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Glenn...... The Moonlander looks like the bike I have dreamed of how much do they run?
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:13 pm

kirkman wrote:Glenn...... The Moonlander looks like the bike I have dreamed of how much do they run?

$2350 I believe

the regular Pugs is $1650. The Black Ops is $1850..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks! :o :cry:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:39 pm

kirkman wrote:Thanks! :o :cry:

While obviously the moonlander offers more float over the regular Pugs.. the Pugs is quite impressive on it's own.. nothing else comes close to it [excluding other similar Fat Bikes like the Mukluk and the like]
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Re: Anyone else feel "SURLY"?

Postby b1kebox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:17 am

Muddybike86' wrote:How many Surly owners do we have?

Currently own two Surly bikes, both S&S bicycle torque coupled (BTC), a 'burple' Traveler's Check (700x28c) and a blue Long Haul Trucker (LHT) (26"x1.5"). Sold a non-coupled olive LHT (700x32c) when I added the S&S LHT.
b1kebox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby spacer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Surly LHT here, with a Brooks B17 saddle and Planet Bike fenders. Still working out the luggage options though.
I've done all my light touring and centuries on a Kona Jake-the-Snake with road slicks and a wider cogset. I swapped the rear cogset and derailler
for XT, to get the wider gear range while keeping the double 'rings up front.

The Surly was a nod to my slowing-down, and better suited for the riding I'll need to concentrate on for the rest of my riding time.
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:11 pm

spacer wrote:Image
Surly LHT here, with a Brooks B17 saddle and Planet Bike fenders. Still working out the luggage options though.
I've done all my light touring and centuries on a Kona Jake-the-Snake with road slicks and a wider cogset. I swapped the rear cogset and derailler
for XT, to get the wider gear range while keeping the double 'rings up front.

The Surly was a nod to my slowing-down, and better suited for the riding I'll need to concentrate on for the rest of my riding time.

sweet :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Re:

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:11 pm

MegC wrote: 1 'bent (that I need to unload, just didn't work for me)

Tell me about your bent.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Bicycles