We just pulled the trigger on two of these.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

We just pulled the trigger on two of these.

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm

glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: We just pulled the trigger on two of these.

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:49 pm

After a taking a couple of years off of racing :roll: actually except for our annual ice race, I think it has been a couple of decades since we have raced. :thinking:

My bride and I have signed up for the 24 Hours of Great Glen as a co-ed pair. Since getting our Pugsleys a little over a year ago, we have continued to trail ride with them year round and having a blast on them. We had planned on using them at the Glen. [We will also be doing other races this season] I got a little worried about doing 24 hours on the Pugsleys.. especially with all the climbing. There is almost 1300 feet of climbing every 8 mile lap. Anyways I got the itch for a faster bike. My current FSR 29er has a very long wheelbase, which would probably be ok for the Glen.. but it is not so great for most of our local single track. I have also never owned a hardtail bike. We went from full rigid to full suspension. We still plan to ride the Pugs some... but thought it might be nice to have something a little faster... :D :twisted:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Glenn,

I think those are awesome. So now you are a lefty x2. And a 29er to boot! Go get em tiger!!! :thumbsup: :D

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

mikeschn wrote:Glenn,

I think those are awesome. So now you are a lefty x2. And a 29er to boot! Go get em tiger!!! :thumbsup: :D

Mike..

Thanks I can hardly wait to get these. :D :woohoo: :woohoo: :twisted:

The hard thing is,we won't be able to do much riding on them for a little bit. Early spring here there is not much off road riding.. waiting for the snow to leave.. and mud season to be over. :worship:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby JuneBug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 am

Dang, that's a sweet ride. Love the classic lines on that hardtail frame. Enjoy, enjoy.

Down here in Texas, one of the XC racers in his 70s is riding an 18 lb (+/-) C-Dale hardtail Lefty 26er (he refuses to drink the 29er Kool-Aid). Sure works for him. Right now he is training for a Leadville qualifier (100 miles) next month and then Leadville proper this summer and the light weight definitely works in his favor on these long distances.

We are already heading towards the 3rd race of the Spring XC season, which wraps up in mid May.
Too darn(!) hot
:?
to race in this part of the country in the summer.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby MegC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm

SCHWEET! Looks like a rocket!
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kirkman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Wow!!! To cool Glenn :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby newrollo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Single sided mono shock. Cannondales are my winner for best frontend forever. Nice! But wow 24 hours! How do you train for that? Will you use headlights?
newrollo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks guys.. we are super excited.. I can't wait for them to come in. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:15 pm

newrollo wrote:Single sided mono shock. Cannondales are my winner for best frontend forever. Nice! But wow 24 hours! How do you train for that? Will you use headlights?

To borrow from Eddy Merckx "Ride Lots" :lol: We will of course be putting in a lot of miles.. both road and mountain. We also do some weight training, and yoga. We also do some trail running. Yes we will of course use lights. The course is on a 8+ mile loop. So as darkness approaches lights will be installed on our bikes [when we come into the "pits"] and will then be taken back off when the daylight comes back around.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:24 pm

JuneBug wrote:Dang, that's a sweet ride. Love the classic lines on that hardtail frame. Enjoy, enjoy.

Down here in Texas, one of the XC racers in his 70s is riding an 18 lb (+/-) C-Dale hardtail Lefty 26er (he refuses to drink the 29er Kool-Aid). Sure works for him. Right now he is training for a Leadville qualifier (100 miles) next month and then Leadville proper this summer and the light weight definitely works in his favor on these long distances.

We are already heading towards the 3rd race of the Spring XC season, which wraps up in mid May.
Too darn(!) hot
:?
to race in this part of the country in the summer.

Guys like him are an inspiration. This is my first foray into endurance racing.. so I have no idea what it will be like.. or how we will do.... I am well aware of Leadville and am intrigued by it.. it would be "fun" to try some day. Our club showed the movie this winter.

I really like the idea of 29ers.. and have been riding a 29er or the equivalent for a few years now. As in anything there are of course pros and cons..to each type. The same goes for the choice of hardtail vs full squish. Even in endurance racing.. I see people being divided.
Fortunately during the race, I can switch bikes if I need or want. I will bring my full squish as well as my Pugsley.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby JuneBug » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

For the last 5 or 6 years there has been a Men's Cat 1 60+ category (or 60 to death, as some call it) for the Texas Mountain Bike XC racing series. The last race 10 days ago had 14 racers aged 60 or over at the start line, ready to kick buns and quite a few of these guys are over 65; 24 guys lined up for the Cat 1 50 to 59 age group.

In a more general way, it is interesting to see people sort themselves out; for some the XC race format is perfect -- about an hour or an hour and a half and the race is done. For others, 90 minutes is waaay too short and they long for the longer more endurace oriented events: 6, 12 or 24 hours or 100 mile marathons. Are you finding yourself in the latter category or do you just like the challenge of a 24-hour race?

Best wishes for a fantastic race and I look forward to hearing about your adventures on the trail. Some 24-hour racers say they see some very, very strange things in the wee hours of the morning.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 am

JuneBug wrote:For the last 5 or 6 years there has been a Men's Cat 1 60+ category (or 60 to death, as some call it) for the Texas Mountain Bike XC racing series. The last race 10 days ago had 14 racers aged 60 or over at the start line, ready to kick buns and quite a few of these guys are over 65; 24 guys lined up for the Cat 1 50 to 59 age group.

In a more general way, it is interesting to see people sort themselves out; for some the XC race format is perfect -- about an hour or an hour and a half and the race is done. For others, 90 minutes is waaay too short and they long for the longer more endurace oriented events: 6, 12 or 24 hours or 100 mile marathons. Are you finding yourself in the latter category or do you just like the challenge of a 24-hour race?

Best wishes for a fantastic race and I look forward to hearing about your adventures on the trail. Some 24-hour racers say they see some very, very strange things in the wee hours of the morning.

Thank you...
"60 to death" :lol: :thumbsup:

I am not sure where I find myself. :thinking: I am 55 and while I have continued to ride.. and at times continue to crank, I have not raced much since the mid 80's. When I did race, I tried most anything, on road and off. Heck back at a shop I used to work at, they had a bmx track and races. They had an open class and I entered on a 26" bmx and raced the kids.

A couple of years ago, I had NO interest in doing a 24 hour race. Then last year we went to support friends that were racing.. and got hooked on the idea. I have no idea how we will do, or if it will be a direction we will head. Only time will tell on that.. :shrug: Interestingly we are all ready talking about the following year.. :thinking: 8)

yes I have heard some of the middle of the night experiences.. actually I just read about one that John Howard had during his Raam.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm

We did finally get our bikes.. :roll:

It took a little longer than it should have.. the first 2 times they were ordered, the orders got messed up.. :? Anyways we did get them, and so far love them. We don't have a lot of time on them yet.. Early Spring here in the Northeast, we are just starting to ride. They come in at around 22 pounds.. which is pretty awesome. The front suspension is quite sweet, super plus. I also love the remote hyrdo lock out. I don't have to move my hand.. and it seems quite worthwhile to lock it out on even semi minor hills that I would stand to climb.

Best of all my wife is really liking it. She really liked her Pugs, and was worried about going back to skinny tires. So far that has gone well.

Last Wednesday one of our local clubs had a trail ride at a location that can have some sand.. and in the wet.. it makes the drive train sound like crap.. and we were hesitant to take these new bikes there at this time. So we brought the Pugs. We were curious how we would find them after riding the oh so light Flash? When we first got it and was putzing around waiting to leave.. the steering felt real heavy turning on pavement. [one does have to fight that front tire trying to get it to make tight turns on pavement, yet one does get used to it] It only took a couple of minutes for the bike to feel wicked sweet again. They are a fun bike.

My wife's Flash, and Pugs.. they do look good together.. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Cool bikes Glenn! :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Bicycles