Friend hit by a car ...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Friend hit by a car ...

Postby kirkman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:53 am

It gets really scary some times on my tadpole recumbent. I am below the door handles on the cars so I don't dare ride in town. I can only ride on bike paths and country 2 lane highways more than once I have had to head for the ditch to keep from getting hit....I think I will stick to my Montanan bike no cars out there!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Noob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 am

Rob is Ok, he did get a titanum rod screwed to his spine ... and a 250,ooo.oo $ hospital bill :shock: Good thing the driver was ticketed.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:59 am

I am so glad your friend will be okay. I am glad the driver was ticketed, now lets just hope he is insured!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Noob wrote:Rob is Ok, he did get a titanum rod screwed to his spine ... and a 250,ooo.oo $ hospital bill :shock: Good thing the driver was ticketed.

wow.. a rod screwed to the spine does not sound good. Yes it is a good thing the driver was ticketed.. that helps with insurance issues.

:worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Noob » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Hes, def much better ... maybe even ok. ... he posted pics from a cold wintery city/urban bike advocacy ride. ( replaced the bike, with an all city ss "nature boy" all black ofcourse . He said he needed to get back in shape, too much down time with surgery, rehab/physical therapy... )
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 am

I'm confused. The original post was on Feb 26, 2013. It's now March 5, 2013. It seems as though in just a few days your friend was hit, underwent surgery with a rod and screws added to his anatomy, been through physical therapy, and is now out of shape but riding his bike while sporting a $250,000 hospital bill.

Am I missing something?

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Noob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 am

Yea, sorry about that, its all delayed a bit, like a newspaper ... My first post was waaaay ( like a month ) after the actual accident, we are all getting the info, later than real life ...I get the pics from, his wifes facebook, then I put them here ...
As it turns out, he broke his back in the accident. Had surgery soon as the ER diagnosed it, spent a couple days there on painkillers and antibiotics, couple of weeks at home doing the same, walked around a bit with a cane ... now hes riding bikes. :thumbsup:
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Noob wrote:Yea, sorry about that, its all delayed a bit, like a newspaper ... My first post was waaaay ( like a month ) after the actual accident, we are all getting the info, later than real life ...I get the pics from, his wifes facebook, then I put them here ...
As it turns out, he broke his back in the accident. Had surgery soon as the ER diagnosed it, spent a couple days there on painkillers and antibiotics, couple of weeks at home doing the same, walked around a bit with a cane ... now hes riding bikes. :thumbsup:

wow!.. I am glad he is doing better and hope there is not long term harm. :worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 pm

kirkman wrote:It gets really scary some times on my tadpole recumbent. I am below the door handles on the cars so I don't dare ride in town. I can only ride on bike paths and country 2 lane highways more than once I have had to head for the ditch to keep from getting hit....I think I will stick to my Montanan bike no cars out there!

yeah.. I can see not wanting to be in town on one of those. In and out of traffic one would be quite invisible on one of those. :o
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm

While I have had a few things happen to me while riding the road.. I haven't exactly escaped them riding off road. While a few of these things a little freaky at the time..I share in fun.. or as something funny. :D

I have had a Moose "chase me" actually it just followed behind me quite a while. I have been attacked by a raccoon. I had dropped down into a brook right behind it. I did not see it, and it did not hear me coming.. until I splashed in behind him. He turned and stood on it's hind legs raising his "arms" and growled... doing his best bear imitation. It was quite close when it did this.. it startled the crap out of me.. but that quickly I had to chuckle :lol:

Not even a mile up the trail.. I got "attacked" by a wood chuck. Again I scared it. It did as they do.. ran for one of it's holes. Well I was between it and his hole.. so he ran right at me.. as much as I tried to avoid him.. he actually ran into my rear wheel. :o I did turn back to check on it, but he was not to be found.
I have been attacked by a Goss Hawk. Notice there were no quotes around the word attack this time. Apparently I was near it's nest.. with young on it. It swooped at me screaming and on one of it's passes it actually grabbed my shirt. :o :shock: It kept coming.. I ended up getting off the bike.. and holding it overhead for protection... while I quickly walked out of the area. I have had a bee fly up my nose while on the Mountain bike tandem [actually trail riding] I am sometimes allergic so it was a little concern.. riding along.. I saw it some distance away..coming our way. The next thing I know.. zoom.. right up the nose.. We are moving fairly fast on the tandem...so stopping was not an immediate option, so I reach up with one hand and start punching myself in the nose to try and kill it. Of course everyone else had no idea what was going on.. they just saw me punching myself. :? Of course my stoker is the most concerned.. so I am "screaming" Bee up the nose... bee up the nose... bee up the nose!! Fortunately I had no significant reaction.. and we were able to continue our ride.

I have had very close encounters with Deer.. as well as 3 up and close and personal interactions with coyotes.

:D :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Previous

Return to Bicycles