Folding bikes?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Folding bikes?

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am

2bits wrote:Nice Kenskill by the way, I am in the Kenskill Yahoo group although I don't post much since I sold my '58 Kenskill. I pull a Scotty and a Shasta now.

I run that forum, it is very quiet since a group started on Facebook.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 am

Yup same here too... its like people think the whole internet is on Facebook... matter of convenience I guess. I used to run the very popular Chevy Abody showcase in Yahoo groups but I let it go to the new FB page and owner
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby spacer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:30 am

I know this thread is a bit older, but I've done some traveling with my Montague Paratrooper and it worked great. While a full size 26" wheeled bike, still folded small enough to fit in a trunk, and handled me when I was 370 lbs, though the factory only rates it for 240 (roughly where I am now). I did upgrade the wheels, crankset, and seatpost... just to reinforce it.
I've considered setting it up to tow a micro-foamie, and I'd look at setting the trailer up with a storage bag or box on the front where I can lock up my bike out of sight when the trailer is set up. Stop at a good spot, unhitch and deploy trailer, fold bike (about 30 seconds), and stow it... unless I need to ride out for some groceries or something.

I'm only beginning to visit the idea of a bike camper, but I think I'd consider a narrower trailer that would expand on deployment, so as not to take up too much space while riding. A good reference, I guess, would be to splay my elbows while on the bike, and measure the width. No point in going narrower than myself, after all.

Last edited by spacer on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:56 am

spacer wrote:I know this thread is a bit older, but I've done some traveling with my Montague Paratrooper and it worked great. While a full size 26" wheeled bike, still folded small enough to fit in a trunk, and handled me when I was 370 lbs, though the factory only rates it for 240 (roughly where I am now). I did upgrade the wheels, crankset, and seatpost... just to reinforce it.
I've considered setting it up to tow a micro-foamie, and I'd look at setting the trailer up with a storage bag or box on the front where I can lock up my bike out of sight when the trailer is set up. Stop at a good spot, unhitch and deploy trailer, fold bike (about 30 seconds), and stow it... unless I need to ride out for some groceries or something.

I'm only beginning to visit the idea of a bike camper, but I think I'd consider a narrower trailer that would expand on deployment, so as not to take up too much space while riding. A good reference, I guess, would be to splay my elbows while on the bike, and measure the width. No point in going narrower than myself, after all.

Wow I always thought about bringing my bike camping but you are talking about bringing your camper behind your bike! I would definitely keep weight in mind over compactness. I see alot of these trailers that unfold into tiny trailers that when unfolded are tiny enough and I just think of all the engineering and extra hardware to make it do all that stuff is really not needed and just makes the thing heavier. Going for a faomie sounds like a great idea. One idea that I saw was like a coffin and at the rear was a hinge and it opened up like Pac Man with a curtain hanging down, very simple and thin and light weight.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:58 am

I found it!!
Attachments
CycleCamper.jpg
CycleCamper.jpg (161.51 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby spacer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:01 am

Some like the one you described don't weigh much more than a couple kids in a kiddie trailer, which I've pulled pretty well in the past.

Another method some have used is to install an electric motor to help 'em along. If you can fit about 350w of solar panels on the camper roof, and run an appropriately sized hub motor on a wheel, I think it would be do-able. Not absolutely necessary if you can keep the weight down, though.

spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cosmo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:39 pm

Consider adding a a Zizzo to your search! It uses Shimano components and is fairly light for a folding bicycle 24 pounds
https://zizzo.bike

=Cosmo

Last edited by Cosmo on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby mearchd » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Electric bike is a new way for commuting. It is friendly to our live environment. I got one, which really helps me
mearchd
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Bicycles