recumbent bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

recumbent bike

Postby hugh » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

This is a picture of a Atomic Zombie homemade tadpole trike I built. It has an electric assist 500 watt rear hub motor, Very nice to ride. It,s now heading on to winter here in Winnipeg but i took it out yesterday for a short 20 mile ride.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Re: recumbent bike

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:54 am

Nice trike!

:beer:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby hugh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:47 am

Thank you GuitarPotog. Some performance info-having a non geared hub motor means you need to have some power going to it to offset the drag of the magnets, called cogging. I usually run it on level 1 of 4 which gives around a 30% boost to my pedal effort. With that the range is around 100km,s or 60 miles and it's easy to hold a speed around 10 to 14 mph. If it is taken to level 4, it offers a 300% boost and light pedalling will easily get you up to a little over 20 mph. A couple weeks ago the wind was gusting to 90 kph or 55 mph roughly and level 4 let me hold 18 mph with little effort into the wind. But that really sucks the battery power and shortens the range. As I mentioned, winter is fast approaching but I do have a heated garage and I thought it might be fun to design a velomobile styled body which would make it even more streamlined and offer wind and rain protection. There is a fellow in a recumbent online group I've met in person who has a Dutch velomobile he imported to Winnipeg and his is pedal only, because it is so streamlined he can hit speeds of 40 kpm, but he's younger than my almost 65 and way fitter.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 am

:thumbsup: Nice!
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Return to Bicycles