Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby rebapuck » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:29 am

My uncle gave me a lenght of pipe to carry when walking from the parking lot to work at 4am. I carried it in plain sight. You would not believe the number of MEN who suggested I carry it down by my leg so it wouldn't be seen.

HUH?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby hiker chick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Ken&Eunice wrote:[quote Adrenaline is a funny thing.

I was in the grocery store very early one morning to get treats for my staff. When I came out I saw two men (boys) in my car. They grabbed my briefcase and some other stuff and jumped in a car and started to take off. I ran after them yelling. Believe it or not they stopped! I just kept saying PUT IT BACK, PUT IT BACK and they did. The police said that was a really dumb thing to do. but as said; adrenaline is a funny thing[/quote]

Wow -- stopping their getaway car!

Maybe you sounded like their mother.

:o
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby robertaw » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm

rebapuck wrote:My uncle gave me a lenght of pipe to carry when walking from the parking lot to work at 4am. I carried it in plain sight. You would not believe the number of MEN who suggested I carry it down by my leg so it wouldn't be seen.

HUH?

When I was a teenager my dad gave me a billy club to carry from my car to our apartment when I got home late at night. After a certain hour the there were no close spaces so I always had to walk a little ways. He suggested that I keep a good grib on it and swing it around in plain site which I did. Never had a problem. :thumbsup:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 pm

That's what I did. But these guys wanted me to hide it so I could surprise the would-be attacker.

Men are from Mars.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I've have a few chilling experiences and only one where I had to show a weapon. In 1992 when I lived in Augusta, GA I owned an in-home typing service. Normally I would go and pick up the work in a neutral place but for some reason I let this man come to my home to bring me the resume he needed typed up. In my office I always kept my gun, a .45 sitting right on my desk, next to me but not in plain site. I also kept a human paper target that I used for target practice on the wall. Makes for a really nice conversation piece.

When I met this man, I didn't get any bad vibes but I thought he was a little too friendly in a "manish" way. Still, no bad vibes. As we continued talking about how he wanted his resume to look, out of the blue he said "You know, a pretty little thing like you should be careful about letting strangers into your home". Bad vibe, bad vibe, bad vibe!!! The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I probably turned a whiter shade of white but I calmly turned to him (praying he couldn't see the fear in my eyes) and said, "Well, what strangers don't know is that I carry a loaded gun on me at all times and I have no fear of using it". I didn't take my eyes off of his and never cracked a smile...and he knew I was dead serious. I told him I think I had everything I needed and I would call him when it was ready. He stood up, gave me a weird smile and walked out the door.

Honestly, he scared the crap out of me just with the way he said what he said. I let my husband meet him to exchange the work and money and I never heard from him again.

Another time in California, I had a stange man follow me up to my hotel room but I was already in defense mode by the time he got there. The door was locked and he couldn't get in and I wouldn't open it. When the hotel maintenance man went to the parking lot to ask what the guy wanted, the man jumped in his truck and rolled his tires out of there. The hotel clerk called me and said they were going to move me to another room.

Once in a Wal-Mart parking lot, my daughter-n-law and I were walking to my SUV late one night and a man was following behind us. I told her to stop walking, hold her purse tucked in front of her and to turn around and look at the man straight in his face, which we both did at the same time. The man shook his head, started snickering and walked away from us. Now, you tell me...was he up to no good and knew we called his bluff or was I just being paranoid?

I used to be a more trusting person but I now look at people with a different perspective. I've never been a timid person and won't back down...well, except for a bear. :frightened: That's a different story...I no longer know you if it's me, you and a bear! (Sorry buddies) :lol:
Last edited by CAJUN LADY on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Becca,

That's enough scary experiences for a lifetime.

You are cool under pressure. Wise, too. Nice responses.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Eunice, I know it wasn't funny at the time but it sure is now. I can just see you running after those little thugs screaming like a wild woman. You probably scared them to death. I hope they pooped their pants. :applause:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm

hiker chick wrote:Becca,

That's enough scary experiences for a lifetime.

You are cool under pressure. Wise, too. Nice responses.

I've had a few other not so fun experiences...2 peeping Toms, a guy I screamed at in a dark parking lot (scared myself and him when I screamed at him) and an incident at a gas station that happened this year.

The gas station incident was at 4:00 p.m. right after work at a busy gas station right by my office. The part of town I work in is industrial, hoodish...lots of transients so I always survey the area before I get out of my vehicle. I saw this guy in the parking lot close to the Quicky Mart, sitting by the building. Then I saw him cross the street and as I was pumping gas, I saw him coming back across the street. I don't think he knew I was watching him behind my sunglasses. He was neatly dressed with his Members Only jacket on. He approached me slowly, telling me, "Lady, you don't have to be afraid of me, I don't have a weapon", and began unzipping his jacket. I immediately stopped pumping gas, held the nozzle in front of me, held up my left hand and told him to STOP RIGHT THERE AND DON'T COME ANY CLOSER. He again said, you don't have to be afraid. That's when I told him "Mister, YOU DO NEED TO BE AFRAID BECAUSE IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER I WILL FILL YOU UP WITH UNLEADED". Right then another car drove up, then another one and he turned around and walked away. I think I stopped breathing because my heart was racing so hard and my hands were shaking.

Like Eunice said, adrenaline is a funny thing.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote: "Mister, [b]YOU DO NEED TO BE AFRAID BECAUSE IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER I WILL FILL YOU UP WITH UNLEADED".

You could star in your own reality show.

And you're making my DC experience sound tame.

;)

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:17 pm

hiker chick wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote: "Mister, [b]YOU DO NEED TO BE AFRAID BECAUSE IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER I WILL FILL YOU UP WITH UNLEADED".

You could star in your own reality show.

And you're making my DC experience sound tame.

;)

:lol: :lol:
No, I think you have us all beat with being tackled by a masked man! I've always told my female friends if confronted in a situation where there is no weapon, act like a crazy woman and don't be timid -- be LOUD.
I have no problem acting crazy. Husband says I'm not acting! :laughter:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Anchoring and security

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:09 pm

I've never give much thought to being alone. Used to sail out to the channel islands (So. Cal.) a lot and anchor for the weekend, sometimes alone (just me and Herr Otto Pylet) and never gave security a second thought. I think, however, that my 9mm hi power might make it out of the attic and into the trailer when it's finished.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Anchoring and security

Postby hiker chick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm

eamarquardt wrote:I've never give much thought to being alone. Used to sail out to the channel islands (So. Cal.) a lot and anchor for the weekend, sometimes alone (just me and Herr Otto Pylet) and never gave security a second thought. I think, however, that my 9mm hi power might make it out of the attic and into the trailer when it's finished.

Cheers,

Gus

You go, girl!

:thumbsup:

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Ya know, just reading some of these stories from the ladies I think a lot of these guys weren't criminals ~ they're just idiots and don't get it. To say those things to a woman you don't even know? ... Hell, to say those things to a woman you do know is just stupid.

I'm 6'4" and if I'm in a parking lot walking towards my car and a woman is getting out of hers next to it, I will deliberately churp my alarm from as far away as I can just to alert her that I am walking towards her for good reason. If a woman is getting her baby out of the car seat with her head in the vehicle and torso out, and my car is next to hers... I wait as to not walk up on her, and I'll speak to her to take her time and tell her that that's my car next to hers.

It's just a different environment out there now for women and men need to be aware of the frame of mind that it creates ... for all of us really.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Ya know, just reading some of these stories from the ladies I think a lot of these guys weren't criminals ~ they're just idiots and don't get it. To say those things to a woman you don't even know? ... Hell, to say those things to a woman you do know is just stupid.

I'm 6'4" and if I'm in a parking lot walking towards my car and a woman is getting out of hers next to it, I will deliberately churp my alarm from as far away as I can just to alert her that I am walking towards her for good reason. If a woman is getting her baby out of the car seat with her head in the vehicle and torso out, and my car is next to hers... I wait as to not walk up on her, and I'll speak to her to take her time and tell her that that's my car next to hers.

It's just a different environment out there now for women and men need to be aware of the frame of mind that it creates ... for all of us really.

Scott G.

Now that's a true gentleman! :applause:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:
Oasis Maker wrote:Ya know, just reading some of these stories from the ladies I think a lot of these guys weren't criminals ~ they're just idiots and don't get it. To say those things to a woman you don't even know? ... Hell, to say those things to a woman you do know is just stupid.

Scott G.

Now that's a true gentleman! :applause:

:yes: :applause:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers