Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Quilting Bee anyone?

Postby Tinbasher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:20 pm

It seems they introduced this feature in EQ7, no matter the software the software companies treat users with contempt.
A person can never own too many tools or have too many ideas or have too much interesting and useful stuff in the garage.
Tinbasher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:58 pm

This forum is full of brilliant people so maybe you can help me.

My 6ft pressing board is in front of the Murphy bed. The iron cord is driving me crazy. I would like to have it go UP to get it out of my way. I need something to sit on top of the Murphy bed cabinet that rotates from side to side, following my ironing. I could probably build something, but maybe you know of some already assembled parts I could put together.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bonnie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 am

rebapuck wrote:This forum is full of brilliant people so maybe you can help me.

My 6ft pressing board is in front of the Murphy bed. The iron cord is driving me crazy. I would like to have it go UP to get it out of my way. I need something to sit on top of the Murphy bed cabinet that rotates from side to side, following my ironing. I could probably build something, but maybe you know of some already assembled parts I could put together.

What about a swivel eye? That might work.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

What's a swivel eye?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am

I just googled it. Don't think that will do. I'm thinking some kind of heavy base, to sit on top of the cabinet, with an arm hanging over the pressing board. The base would have to swivel. Or maybe not. Just holding the cord up may be sufficient.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Many years ago my mom had a thing that hooked or was attached to the ironing board it was basically a wire that had a coil in the middle and a bout a foot up from the coil was an Eye. the cord went through the eye and because of the spiral the top would bend in all directions but would keep it up off the board. Daddy tied a weight to the end of the cord so it would pull down . That set up worked great. I have looked everywhere for one but can't find one. I have threatened to have a machinist to make one too.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:27 am

I have one of those, but I'm not satisfied with it. I've got 6 feet of pressing surface and that cord holder isn't tall enough to keep 6 feet of cord from dragging on the fabric. I've got an idea for that problem that I think will work. On to my next problem.

I have just finished hand quilting a new baby quilt. I made so many errors on this thing it's ridiculous. Anyway, all I have to do is put the binding on. For some reason, I tried to make a single full width of fabric do as the backing. I ended up with a full selvage along one side. Because it's already quilted with a feathered cable, I don't want to trim the border.

I'm thinking I'll cut a 3" strip for the double fold binding. Sew 1/4" on the front and have the rest on the back. I just can't picture the corners. Will they be a neat miter when I turn them? Should I snip the selvage in a few places?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am

Mary, I'm sure you can get a cord holder at WalMart or Target. Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:14 pm

It's done. My neighbor says it's a happy quilt.

It is orange though. Hope the prospective parents like it.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby dreamofcolors » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm

So... I don't even own a teardrop yet (I am saving my money and will by spring!), and I don't officially quilt (I made one, once, and am a decent sew-er, so I hope I can figure it out!) but I bought enough fabric to make TWO quilts today, one of which will go in my future-camper... so basically, I'm jumping in with both feet! Hopefully, by the time I have a camper, I'll have a finished quilt for the bed (and curtains, too!)

I bought some Goodnight Moon fabrics for one quilt, and some lightning bug (and other outdoor themes) fabric for two different quilts. One of the two will be the theme for my new camper. The other will probably be gifted.
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Welcome. Both feet is the best way to jump.

There are numerous books on quilting. And just google and you can find any pattern you can think of. Lots of instruction on the Internet.

last week, I found myself cutting fabric for three at the same time. Got two pieced, sandwiched and pin basted. I'll take them to the beach next week and get some hand quilting done without a cat in my lap. A first.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 am

Judy I saw what you need connect the cord holder to the top of the Murphy bed and get a small weight, try a bag of sand till you get the right weight to pull the cord back, I saw this configuration while I was in Texas. just a thought.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 am

That is an idea. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Here's one I finished today 84 x 84. Now to find a long armer to finish it off for me. Nice in batiks I think. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers