Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Quilting Bee anyone?

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 pm

Goodness Doug. Did you go blind making that? It's gorgeous. Does the maze have a start and finish?

I just spent ten days at the beach. Books on the sand and quilting in the cottage. Didn't get very far. For some reason, it was very hard to get more than one stitch on the needle, so slow going.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bonnie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Very pretty. What's the name of the pattern?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 pm

The maze quilt pattern is called Labrynth Walk. The designer took the idea off a floor in a church in Florence Italy. There are no hitches in the pattern, it works out great, all you have to be is organized with your pieces, be able to cut accurately, press well, and be proficient at half square triangles. It won't drive you buggy putting it together as you can't really see the 3D effect until it's completed and viewed at a distance. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rebapuck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Just finished this one. I really like this pattern, but... though it was easy to piece, ironing was a PITA. The points kept flipping seams. They were fighting each other. Finally just let them flip however they wanted. Decided to machine quilt this one. I've still not practiced free motion so I just used a walking foot and stitched the ditch. That ditch though, kept changing as I went around the stars. After the third one, I decided to just follow one fabric around, regardless of the ditch. And turning and stuffing the quilt through the machine was not fun. To avoid those nest of threads on the underside, I pulled the bobbin thread up at each beginning. For some reason it was not all that successful. Hand quilting for me is relaxing. This was faster but not anything relaxing about it.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Do you have a ditch foot? That can help a bunch but it's still tough getting the fabric to lay how you want, even if you do a great job on the pressing as it goes together. I have a lot of admiration for anyone that can sit and hand quilt....not for me. If I can't drive it with a gas pedal, I don't do it. That's a great looking quilt, nice job on it! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Hand quilting for me is relaxing. This was faster but not anything relaxing about it.

I agree! Not many of up out here do, though.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby dreamofcolors » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:22 am

Y'all are way more talented than I am, but maybe I will get better with practice...

Photos in progress of my first-ever quilt, that I've been working on for a couple of weeks in honor of my brand new camper that I pick up on November 15.

I'm really happy with how it is turning out, though I clearly should have made a border around it all AND I have no idea what I need to do to bind it together.... and I might need to add more quilting (I just did stitch in the ditch, which is what I'm told it's called... seriously, I'm a super beginner and this thing is full of mistakes, but I love it!)

dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Just loving it supercedes all mistakes. Loving it means you will make another and correct some of your mistakes.

There are a ton of tutorials on the Internet that can give you basics.

I think it looks great.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 pm

rebapuck wrote:Just loving it supercedes all mistakes. Loving it means you will make another and correct some of your mistakes.

There are a ton of tutorials on the Internet that can give you basics.

I think it looks great.

Thanks! I ordered three different fabrics to pick from for the binding, and it should be here any day. Sure, I can see plenty of mistakes, but I will love sleeping under it in my brand new teardrop in a couple of weeks.

Now... to figure out what kind of curtains to make!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:29 am

Now... to figure out what kind of curtains to make!

Thick ones. Use at least two layers so there is no silhouette of you for the neighbors to see.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby dreamofcolors » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:13 pm

I have black fabric (that matches the quilt back!) to line them with, and enough for both doors and the windows.

I just got preview pictures of my camper from my builder. It looks amazing, so does my finished quilt!!!

dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Here's my latest finished quilt. It's 40" square. That is about the size I do now. A width of fabric is 42-44" and I don't want to have to buy two lengths for the backing.

I went back to hand quilting and did my favorite feathered cable in the outer border.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:25 pm

My niece announced her pregnancy last summer and I whipped up a very orange quilt for her, several pictures back. She has since told us it is a boy, so I did this Bow Tie for the little guy, due Jan 7.

Back to hand quilting.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby ZugZug » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:59 am

Hi everyone!

While I impatiently await our new teardrop, which is due for completion in July, I've been busy learning how to make quilts.

This was the first one, and I think this will come out camping with us. Dreamofcolours - you will recognise some of these fabrics from your first quilt as well!

Then I made this one for a new baby in our extended family:

I made one for one of my daughters (a union jack quilt). She likes it and it looks ok, but I was disappointed with the machine quilting. So with the next one (my most recent quilt) I decided to try hand quilting.

Just finished it, and here it is:

It's not perfect (none of them are, actually). But if I hold out for perfection I think I'll be waiting a long time.

That might be enough quilting for me for a little while. I've really enjoyed doing it. I've learnt that triangles and diamonds are tricky to get smooth, wool batting is nice and warm (and a bit puffy in the end) and there's nothing quite so cute (or as time consuming) as hand stitching.
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby bonnie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 am

Those are lovely
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers