Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Quilting Bee anyone?

Postby rebapuck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

You learned fast.

Another lesson to learn(and it took me a long time to) is that quilt one does not have to be finished before starting quilt two.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby ZugZug » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:00 am

Haha - I'm too scared to learn that lesson. I would never finish anything!

I've always been a sewer, so it wasn't like I was learning from scratch. But I did go on a bit of a binge with the quilting over the past 6 months. It was heaps of fun.

But having done those, I look at some of the quilts you've all done, and some my Mum has done over the years, and thing 'Whoa!', because I can now appreciate how much work is involved. So much care, skill and patience - I'm in awe of it all.
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Tabitha » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm working on my first quilt just for our tear. I'm in no way a quilter but this has been fun. We have a vintage light chenille bedspread for the summer so I thought I would make a chenille quilt for winter camping. Any tips are greatly welcomed!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433460211.865767.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433460211.865767.jpg (196.81 KiB) Viewed 8799 times

The front.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433460188.329414.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433460188.329414.jpg (205.92 KiB) Viewed 8799 times

The back fabric in flannel.
Someday, we will learn to take living in stride. Sometime, we will learn to pay less attention to the imagined and stop fussing about things we had nothing to do with in the past - and cannot change significantly in the future. Very soon, we will sit together in the sun a whole day and just be happy that we can sit together in the sun all day and just be happy.
___ Cherokee Author Unknown
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Did you cut up old bedspreads?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Tabitha » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:47 am

No I purchased squares from eBay. I couldn't cut them up myself I love them too much, I'd end up with a collection of chenille spreads and no quilt. Lol
Someday, we will learn to take living in stride. Sometime, we will learn to pay less attention to the imagined and stop fussing about things we had nothing to do with in the past - and cannot change significantly in the future. Very soon, we will sit together in the sun a whole day and just be happy that we can sit together in the sun all day and just be happy.
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ZugZug » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:18 am

Gorgeous! What a great idea

Should be nice and warm too

what's going inside it? Wool or cotton?
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tabitha » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm thinking cotton but I'm open to all help since this is my first.
Tabitha
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ZugZug » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 am

Ok, in my extremely limited experience...

Wool batting is warmer and lighter, but very expensive to buy (well, it's expensive here in Australia - not sure if the prices are perhaps more reasonable in the US?). It has a nice almost fluffy 'loft' that makes the finished quilt a little more cloud-like (I hope that makes sense) while still being light.

I've used cotton/bamboo batting for several quilts. Cheaper, but still good quality and very nice to work with, sits nice and flat as a finished quilt. I like the way it sits fairly snugly around us in bed - a bit heavier and a bit flatter perhaps? But not as warm.

My most recent quilt is my favourite yet but a lot more bulky. I used an old wool blanket I had lying around the house. Ugliest thing you'll ever see - I never used it and will absolutely not miss it as a purple blanket (Yukky purple, not a nice purple). I added cotton/bamboo batting as a layer with it as well. So it goes 'quilt top, cotton/bamboo layer, old purple wool blanket layer, fabric backing layer' - so there one more layer in there than you'd usually get. I used the spray stuff between all the layers to keep them together while I did the simple stitch in the ditch quilting. It was heavy but so worth it.

It's fairly bulky when you fold it up, but quite nice and heavy on you in bed and the warmest of the quilts I've made so far.

It was made entirely of scraps, and I've done it specifically for my camper (when it finally arrives!). I'm pretty happy with it but bear in mind I won't be folding it up all that often. It will live on the bed. I wouldn't suggest this if your quilt needs to be folded up and put away in a cupboard anytime soon!
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby minstrel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:01 pm

"Very cute quilt pattern of TTTs

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/catalog ... ?q=1000377"
Thanks, Judy, for your link. I have a master-quilter friend who is going to just make me a couple of squares to hang on the cupboard doors at the foot of my bed. I opted for that instead of the whole quilt. I just gave her one of my curtains so she can keep the color scheme. Can't wait to get them!
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 am

ZugZug, I would have thought wool would be cheap in your part of the world. Don't you have lots and lots of sheep down that way?

I may use a wool blanket as you suggested on my current quilt. I want a really warm slightly heavy feel for this one.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Baby Lock Sashiko

Postby rebapuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm tempted to buy a Baby Lock Sashiko machine. Does anyone have any experience with one? My main concern is the distance between needle and neck of the machine. Doesn't look like it would be easy to put a full quilt through there. And how big is the bobbin?

Save me from myself!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby ZugZug » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:20 am

If only I could shear some of them myself!

Sorry I don't know anything about the sashiko machines. I've seen them and the stitch does look really nice. But I've never tried one.

Would they let you come in with some of your work to try one out?
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm sure I could try it and I will. Problem is... in store or on youtube, the sample shown whipping around the table is only about 12x12. My quilt is 80x60. I'll have to be the first.

Currently waiting on the bank to approve a rollover of my home equity line of credit. I have to be good until that is done. The wait is killing me.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:40 am

:D Just in case you haven't seen this yet, I "lifted" this picture from the Internet, for your viewing pleasure:

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers