Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Quilting Bee anyone?

Postby rebapuck » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Snug as a bug!

I spent most of the month making this throw for my nephew. We'd all like for me to be able to make a wedding quilt for him, especially his mother, but he's dragging his feet.

It was the first larger quilt I've made in a while. Ouch on the floor basting. I saw the pattern in Simple Quilts and Sewing. My first solid fabric (except binding) quilt and the first I did not prewash the fabric. I may never prewash again.
ImageNext one is in the works. Also a first. Fused applique.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bonnie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:19 pm

rebapuck wrote:Snug as a bug!

I spent most of the month making this throw for my nephew. We'd all like for me to be able to make a wedding quilt for him, especially his mother, but he's dragging his feet.

It was the first larger quilt I've made in a while. Ouch on the floor basting. I saw the pattern in Simple Quilts and Sewing. My first solid fabric (except binding) quilt and the first I did not prewash the fabric. I may never prewash again.
ImageNext one is in the works. Also a first. Fused applique.

That's really pretty.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:15 pm

But still masculine?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 pm

rebapuck wrote:But still masculine?

Yes, It's pretty and masculine. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:18 pm

That really looks great, thing is with solids that they are a lot less expensive than a print fabric which is a big + with the whole "modern" quilt movement. I never wash fabric if it's for a quilt, only if it's going to be an article of clothing. Well done! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rebapuck » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Well, I done did it. I bought a Sashiko machine. Went to just "look". The dealer offered me a lightly used demo for $1500 off. Could not find my credit card fast enough.

Doug, I have finished a center panel that is fused applique. To do a machine blanket stitch around the edges, what kind of stabilizer do you recommend?

The machine I will be using is an "old" Singer I bought 8or 9 years ago, in anticipation of my retirement. I've been retired 7 years and this will be the first time I will use it. I have been studying the manual. I already know it will have to be at machine side at all times.

So, before I used the machine, I needed an insert. My experience with Koala was not good so I made my own. A mill shop cut the blank, actually 4, and I made a template for the cut out. My jigsaw skills are very rusty, but I'm pleased with the resulting fit. Still needs paint to make it slick, but I'll probably use it before I get around to that. Also need to make an insert for the new Sashiko machine. That will be a basic rectangle, so easier.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:42 pm

My sister is really into quilting. She has made some really nice items. :D
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:55 am

I haven't totally finished this yet. Still need to quilt the circle centers and sign it, but I need to move on. I found out I will be invited to an VW couple's wedding next October, so I decided to make a throw to coordinate with the upholstery in their camper. Collecting fabric. Then an old friend tells me she has a new grandson. So, I need to make another Bow Tie quilt. That's my go to for baby boys. I've come up with a design for baby girls, but nobody will have one.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:31 pm

Judy your quilts are beautiful, what a wonderful gift for a young couple.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks Mary. In my life, I've tried a whole bunch of crafts. Most I enjoyed doing, but didn't particularly want the end result. When I tried quilting back in the 70's, it was love...for the whole thing. It's funny though, because I have cats, neither of my beds have quilts on them.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:14 pm

My intention was to make another Bow Tie quilt for a friends first grandchild. I've made several and love to make them. I've also made numerous Lone Star quilts. All require set-in seams. Never had a problem...until this time. Could not do it to save me. I must have had a brain fart or something.

So I made this one instead. It's inspired by Marianne Fons blue and white "Cubby Holes". 38" square. I finished it by quilting on the new Baby Lock Sashiko machine.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby mandymurrin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Just made these few this winter. And a couple more I don't have pictures of yet. The bandana quilts are fun and fast but also a pain in the but.(they are cheap) I pre wash them always and they always go askew after and shrink a bit and they are never printed square so it's a real challenge making everything line up, sometimes it doesn't. But the kids love them. I have a grey and teal blue bandana blanket and curtains started for our tear drop.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
mandymurrin
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Thu May 12, 2016 11:10 pm

Those are really nice. I especially like the bandana ones. (I first read it as "banana" WHAAAT?!!!)
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby mandymurrin » Fri May 13, 2016 8:48 pm

After going back and looking at old posts and some of the quilts that people have made suddenly my quilts seems so inferior lol. I just don't find the time to do anything overly elaborate. We moved and started renovations on our home five years ago and I had unfinished quilts that I stored out of the reno mess in my closet. I finally started them again last winter.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
mandymurrin
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 am

Your quilts are certainly not inferior. Especially if they get used. Different than mine. That's all. I just saw a quilt in a decorating mag that was made with all black on white bandanas. It was striking.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers