Lady Tear Droppers, drop in and say "Hello"!

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby AmyH » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:44 am

Miriam, I have done a little "napping" in it! :lol: As soon as I got the interior roof skin on I just had to lay inside the tear and look up at the beautiful cherry ceiling. I can't wait to start joining everyone at the various gatherings. It will be so nice to finally meet all the great people on this forum!! :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Eunice » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:52 am

Amy hope you can make it to the 15th DAM gathering on May 1st. Would love to see your tear in person
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby AmyH » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 am

I'll definitely be finished with the build before May, so I'll plan to attend that gathering. :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:06 pm

SamR wrote:Hey Ladies! Haven't heard from anyone in a while. Anything new?

I haven't accomplished much on the Turtle. The more leaks I find and fix the more crop up. I really did a lousy job joining the roof and walls. I may tear off the roof and start over at that point. It'll have to wait a while though; the house project continues to grow. I found asbestos in 2 walls. :( I used to love old houses...

Sam, we saw this on "This Old House." and thought of you and several others. The product is a 2 part Architectural epoxy. It will fill wood, stick to the wood and remain flexible so it doesn't crack and leak with movement. Sounds perfect for covering our seams and screw holes. :thumbsup:

http://www.advancedrepair.com/architect ... _epoxy.htm

At the bottom of the page on "ask this old house" is a little bit of information.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask- ... 66,00.html
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Sam,
I'm sure you'll problem solve your leaks.............that was a cool link that Miriam posted and it looks like a great product to consider. Please keep us posted when you have time to work on it.

For fun I'd thought I'd share how I managed to work out everything in my galley since in my 5' x8' td build I went for a queen mattres(at 80" long) which wasn't leaving me a lot of room on the bottom galley floor. After a fun summer of teardroppin' I think I've pulled off some solutions to having plenty of room to work. My side tables are nice because they create more counter space once in camp so here's some of my solutions for the rest of the galley.

View of my galley..........I'm ready for one last fall trip(I hope!).

I'm using tool tray liners from HF to keep crates in place. They are much thicker that regular shelf liner and since it holds the cast iron stuff it has worked super.

I took some slats off of the three bottom crates and on two of them have have a removeable slat. Here's what the crate looks like when I travel.
When I set up I remove a slat and have easy access.
My Home Depot cabinets are really nice and on one side I added room with these cool pocket holders for the packets of ingredients you might have in camp.............or at least things I use when the real cook of the family, Rose, is back home. I found these at organize.com.
These larger containers hold a lot of smaller things and easy to grab stuff...especially when I'm running around in the morning getting ready for a day of kayaking fun and want to stuff my lunch bag.
The other cabinet has added space because I used corner shelving and then added an extra top shelf accross by using some leftover birch plywood and a nice piece of trim.
The corner organizers let me add more to the cabinet.
Plus an old key holder allowed me to hang some measurement utensils and freed up some drawer space.
These are those drawers I found at Tuesday Morning. Here's my silverware drawer.
Rose's spice drawer.
And of course doesn't every kitchen have a junk drawer?

Thanks for letting me share my galley set up with you all........
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:26 pm

Barb! That's some SERIOUS organization you have going there! I'm impressed with how well organized everything is. I'll bet your galley is a joy to cook in!

Joanne

b.bodemer wrote:Sam,
I'm sure you'll problem solve your leaks.............that was a cool link that Miriam posted and it looks like a great product to consider. Please keep us posted when you have time to work on it.

For fun I'd thought I'd share how I managed to work out everything in my galley since in my 5' x8' td build I went for a queen mattres(at 80" long) which wasn't leaving me a lot of room on the bottom galley floor. After a fun summer of teardroppin' I think I've pulled off some solutions to having plenty of room to work. My side tables are nice because they create more counter space once in camp so here's some of my solutions for the rest of the galley.

<snip the pictures to save space>

Thanks for letting me share my galley set up with you all........
Barb
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby swissarmygirl » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:37 pm

Wow Barb, your galley looks more well stocked than my kitchen!!! :lol:
Nice job!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Barb, I am also REALLY impressed. The 'removable slat' on the crate is a brilliant idea! I saw some similar crate style storage boxes at a craft store, but didn't want to keep sliding them across the floor under my bunk/counch. With the slat, I could just reach in. Way to think it through!

I saw a large wall shelf at Marshalls that I really liked...it's supposed to be a wall shelf with three drawers across the bottom, and two shelves above the drawers with dowels for plate rails. Each 'plate rail' would allow for 4" deep storage space and the rail would help hold things in place while moving down the road. I know it doesn't sound like lots of room, but since I have NO room for cabinets, I was thinking it would work for some of my storage, and I do plan to travel pretty light. I want to check the measurements against what can fit--if it works, it will be a simple ready-made solution that will also serve as a removeable back wall for the sleeping compartment.

Fingers crossed!
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Eunice » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Barb I am really impressed with your galley. WOW it is really organized. It looks great. good job
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby AmyH » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Awesome job on the galley Barb!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: That is so incredibly organized, and very nice looking!! Great ideas wrapped up in that space, I may have to steal a few of those ideas. ;)
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby SamR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 am

Whoa! Awesome Barb! I really like that color with the cabinets, too.

Great link Auntie M. :worship: I just ordered the starter kit. There have been many, many times working on older houses (yes plural, I never learn) that I could have used that stuff and saved a TON of work.
SamR
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 am

Barb:

You are one smart chickie! :thumbsup: I love the way you shared each part of your galley with us ladies. I hope you don't mind but I am sure a few of us will be "borrowing" some of your ideas. I am happy with my galley "at the moment", but I do want to make it a little more custom. The colors you choose are very pretty. Can you tell me if your drawers are sliders or are they just sitting there? Also, did you already have those cabinets before you built the galley (and you knew the measurements) or did you get them after? I don't really want to have to pay for custom built if I can buy them ready made from HD or Lowe's.

Rebecca
Cajun Lady
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:19 am

SamR wrote:Whoa! Awesome Barb! I really like that color with the cabinets, too.

Great link Auntie M. :worship: I just ordered the starter kit. There have been many, many times working on older houses (yes plural, I never learn) that I could have used that stuff and saved a TON of work.

Great Sam, Please let us know how it works. I am thinking of getting some to keep around. ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 am

Hey ladies,
Glad to share my ideas and pics as I borrowed plenty from this forum!

Sam,
For sure I am intereted in your results too with this product. I am going to fix a design flaw on my td. It hasn't caused any problems for all the times I traveled while raining or while it sat in the rain uncovered in camp. During the build I realized how nice the birch looked so I ditched the idea of a painted roof in favor of a woody look. But that meant I needed a way to hide the screws everywhere and that led me to my trim work that I painted green.
Here's my design flaw.
The trim painting wasn't completed at the time of this picture. I used epoxy with filler for all the small gaps to tie all the trim together but it was tough to sand. The space on both sides of the vent are now recessed. I'm planning on cutting a piece to drop into the spaces on both sides of the vent. This will have the area around the vent even and the plywood and trim are both 1/4" so I'd like to use this product to fill in the gap once dropped in. I've been in really bad rain while driving but I think it's best to make that section on the roof at least flat so I'll add this to my "winter to do list"!
Closer look at flaw. This was before the vent was permenently installed and shows the 1/4" recess a little better.

Rebecca,
Here's a few close ups of the drawer. I bought them from Tuesday Morning but if they are no longer available here's the website off the tag:
www.neatnix.com and their # 1-800-683-6328.
I used the 4" wide and 9" wide for my td. Here's a pic of a 6" and 4" side by side.
Here's the one drawer partly opened. I added a shelf under the counter and put one screw in the base. It's working great.
These draws were a complete after thought. Here's a pic of my galley when I was almost finished.
I added the shelf and left enough room at both ends that I use to roll up and store my kitchen towels while towing.

The cabinets were at HD and just needed to stain them. They are the smaller size that you would typically install above your kitchen sink. With 30" wide two of them gave me my perfect fit for the 5' wide td!
I used the same stain as the wall and finished them with Clear Shield Satin. Then beside being tied into the galley wall they also sit on a 1/2" "box" on three sides. It was the same pattern and left over from the walls so it matched perfect and was eventually hidden and finished off with quarter round.

This has been a great post to check in and share ideas..................
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:11 pm

Barb I have the same design flaw. Makes a very shallow lake. I didn't want the water to force it's self under the trim so I epoxied a dam on all sides of the trim on top. It has been standing in a very hard rain and while it didn't leak it did make a lake. I am thinking of fiberglassing, or something next spring.

Should we post this on a separate thread so the boys can read too. ;) :lol: Some of them won't read the "women's thread."

Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers