Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:46 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Becca and Gaelen make some very good points.

I camp alone a lot; but I usually have a dog with me. However, I try to find campgrounds that have a host and I pick a spot within shouting distance of their campsite.

One time, I rented a cabin and there was a knock at the door before it was totally light. Since I was with my family, I carefully opened the door and saw who it was..............................It was a woodpecker! :lol:

Oh my gosh, they are so loud! I love to watch them in my trees but they are loud little peckers.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Bad types still seem to prefer a nearby store and showers. Many tend to be lazy, 'good-fer-nothins'. So, off-grid campgrounds and spots where beer-supplying stores are not close-by seem to be less likely to entertain the unsavory types (unless it's hunting season).

One exception is the homeless and desperately hungry people. They don't mean any harm but might help themselves to food in your cooler. I'm told cooler thefts are on the rise in campgrounds.

A trick I use is to tell a harmless lie. (I'm bearing false witness against a person that doesn't exist!) If a questionable person asks if I'm camping alone. I tell them someone's coming up after work and is expected later that night. If I get asked the next day (I've only been asked once.) I just shrug and say maybe they had problems at work. Then, walk away, leaving the person wondering if my company is still coming or not.

On the bright side, according to what I've read, you're still much less likely to become a victim of a crime when camping than you are at your home.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Ok, this was just posted on the General Discussion thread.

http://wfmz.com/view/?id=530906
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:55 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Ok, this was just posted on the General Discussion thread.

Second point--keep yer stuff outta site. :no: :?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:Ok, this was just posted on the General Discussion thread.

Second point--keep yer stuff outta site. :no: :?

If I ever am awakened by someone standing over me in bed, I pray it's Brad Pitt. :lips: :lips:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:09 pm

Gaelen wrote:
If I ever am awakened by someone standing over me in bed, I pray it's Brad Pitt.

:lol: :lol: :lol: WooHoo! :lol: :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby peggyearlchris » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:13 pm

I've never camped alone. I'm too much of a chicken. I would have to have my son or husband with me or a dog or two.Maybe someday I will get brave. :chicken: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 pm

This is a terrific topic, especially for the women's section. Coincidentally, we recently had a lengthy discussion on this in the Honda Element forum.

I've camped solo many times, love it, but never feel "alone." That's in large part due to the presence of Gidget, my Samoyed, who is a magnet for visitors and tries to lure every passerby to visit by enthusiastically wagging her tail. The teardrop is also -- as everyone here knows well -- a magnet for visitors. And we so far have camped only in national parks (Shenandoah National Park and Acadia) and a popular state park in Virginia (Douthat). We've met countless people, I have several new e-mail buddies and new friends at camp who are also regulars.

Years ago, in regard to foreign travel, I'd read that if you travel solo you are more approachable and more likely to meet the locals than if you are in a self-contained group. I've found that also applies to travel within the U.S., especially campgrounds. Camping with friends is fun but I get more reading and relaxing done camping solo and certainly meet a lot more people.

My tips for a woman camping solo:

1. A well-patrolled campground with other campers around. Talk to the ranger(s), introduce yourself, and ask if they've had any security problems. Living in DC, most places and all campgrounds Outside the Beltway seem like Mayberry to me.

2. Research the campground. I personally wouldn't stay at a venue popular with speed boaters and jet skis or college kids. I'd rather stay at a campground on a lake that bans motors, is popular for fishing and canoeing (Douthat State Park) and is more family-oriented.

3. Carry Mace and keep "bear spray" in your teardrop. Even if I had a gun handy, I'd want the bear spray (REI and Cabela's) for a non-lethal means of self-defense.

4. Pack a good book.

5. Keep a travel journal. I've been keeping trip journals for foreign and domestic travel for a decade. Great way to stay in the moment, record experiences and plan future adventures.

6. Get a super bright flashlight. I'm a big fan of the Surefire flashlights and have a 6P, 9P, E2D Executive Defender and the G2 Nitrolon. That last one, the G2, is only $35 at LL Bean. The batteries are lithium with a shelf life of 10 years. These flashlights are incredibly bright, you'd blind an intruder with one. I consider them all a bargain because they've twice saved me and Gidget from skunks (of the 4-legged variety, who don't like bright light).

Last edited by hiker chick on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm

You girls rock!!!! What great input and brain storming, etc.

I think Barb or MJ should take Becca and 'hikerchick's points and compile them into an infomative sticky.

I've had some people ask about me going camping and "getting away from it all and having a nice weekend alone" ... I feel stupid to remind them that I'm single, no boyfriend, kids gone... I have ENOUGH lonely weekends alone.

I would love to have a ladies only gathering someday !!!!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Pam Wright » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am

I camp alone! I have for years and will continue to. I love it! I have overnighted in Walmart many times, after letting the customer service desk know I am there and asking about their security, (I go one better, I call ahead, when planning my trip to make sure it is okay to overnight there). I have many spots (dispersed) in National Park land that I love to go to.... many times there is not another camper for miles. This is my "re-group" time. a good book, a new magazine, my cross-stitching and of course Whiki, the mighty schnauzer watch dog! Now Brandie is with me some, but she's growing up so fast that I have to schedule time for her to go. But I'll keep on going, and I have to admit, it is very rarely in a "campground". I am leary and uncomfortable being alone with a lot of people around that I do not know. I would use the "someone is joining me" line, if I was feeling uneasy. I do not carry a gun either, maybe I should. Camping is my passion, I'll go, with or without friends.

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby Gaelen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:00 am

S. Heisley wrote:Gaelen wrote:
If I ever am awakened by someone standing over me in bed, I pray it's Brad Pitt.

hehehe...actually, that wasn't me--I'm more the Mel Gibson or David Boreanaz type.
That's not to say that I'd kick Brad out of the trailer, though... ;)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:42 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:
If I ever am awakened by someone standing over me in bed, I pray it's Brad Pitt. :lips: :lips:

I'm waiting for Kevin Costner to crawl in bed with me....
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 am

Besides enjoying the pic of Hiker Chick's pooch, I just learned two things from her:

- I didn't know there was a bear spray and will definitely look into that!
- I didn't know that skunks hate bright lights.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:52 am

OklahomaJewel wrote:
I think Barb or MJ should take Becca and 'hikerchick's points and compile them into an infomative sticky.

This is an absolutely great idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hiker chick » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 am

S. Heisley wrote:Besides enjoying the pic of Hiker Chick's pooch, I just learned two things from her:

- I didn't know there was a bear spray and will definitely look into that!
- I didn't know that skunks hate bright lights.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

REI and Cabela's are good sources for bear spray. I've been carrying it on my backpack's hip belt for years when we hike. Less out of concern for bears than for it's utility in defending against two-legged animals.

I also keep bear spray on my nightstand at home and on my bike's handlebars at night.

Cabela's has this kit which includes bear spray and two MACE canisters

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Or they offer just the bear spray. I like the neoprene holder this comes with because it fits securely on my bike's handlebars when I ride home from work in the dark.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

REI sells bear spray in two sizes, here's the smaller one. They sell the holster separately.

http://www.rei.com/product/623173

Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers