Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Time Out » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Miriam, thank you for such a warm welcome. So good to hear that your Son-in-law is doing well and back at work after a life changing surgery such as this.

Yes, that 'key fob' panic button is a wonderful tool. It will always be handy!

Here is something I found on-line last night. Uniden makes this small and inexpensive (about $135.00) surveillance camera and monitor wireless system. This, to Linda and me has a lot of potential. We will probably purchase this and a second outdoor camera. Look it over and let us know what you think!

http://ec5.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA300_.jpg

If I did this right, the first image is the monitor and 'indoor' camera and the second image is an outdoor (waterproof) camera. I think they are pretty small and could be easily concealed or camouflaged for easy outdoor placement. This will also show the 'black bears' and other critters roaming around the campsite also! I like gadgets and knowing what is going on outside, but this may not interest everyone. It's all about options and being safe. I also have a couple of nice solar lights that will be mounted on 4 foot gray PVC pipes screwed into flanges located on either end of the tongue mounted cargo tray on the front of the trailer.

A convex mirror placed somewhere outside your trailer (by you) that you could look into when peeking out your door would show anyone trying to hide off to the side of the door. You could probably place it so that it wouldn't be too obvious to an intruder. Just another idea to consider.

Best to everyone,

Clyde and Linda
I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby Time Out » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Hey all,

I have no idea how all the multiple posts happened! :oops: It wasn't me!!! I think they were having trouble...but anyway, now you all really got my message :lol:

Hope I haven't worn out my welcome already!!

Clyde
I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Time Out wrote:Hey all,

I have no idea how all the multiple posts happened! :oops: It wasn't me!!! I think they were having trouble...but anyway, now you all really got my message :lol:

Hope I haven't worn out my welcome already!!

Clyde

:lol: The site is doing it I think I will delete all but the first for you! ;)

I love the camera. I have seriously thought of doing something about the broad front I can't see out of. I force myself to not worry about it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby JaneV » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Jane , this is slowcowboy from riverton, wyoming. Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum and the teardrop world. I know we are a rare camper type in wyoming but I have had a blast being a solo camper in the centeral wyoming area since 2007. I love the windriver moutains by lander and this is a great way to see the world by teardrop as well as the windrivers in the summer time.

you will meet a lot of neat people in the teardrop world.

any ways. I just wanted to say to a fellow wyoming teardropper and if I can be of help with a question on the teardrop world or whatever feel free to pm me or post me on the forum on some tread.

Enjoy the hobby and maybee some day there will be a wyoming teardrop gathering and a wyomng teardrop group.

Slowcowboy. I am up at pavillion which is 24 miles northwest of riverton. riverton being the only big town next to me that people can find on the map and Pavillon is a little farming berg of 120 people. I have lived in wyoming and the riverton, lander area all my life.

Hi slowcowboy -
Lander is beautiful - don't get up that way too often -I try to stay in lower altitudes - won't be heading to the Tetons anytime soon -(have some new health issues) - I'm at 6,000ft - more than enough for me! :?

BTW - my youngest son is 29 and I know it's not easy out there to find a nice girl :cry: ....I really look forward to being a gramma but no signs of
that happening...he says every year it gets harder.....they all come with baggage the older they get. :worship:

I got a Little Guy 5x8 Silver Shadow - love it so far - friend took me out for a pre-flight and safety check. He had me do everything myself and feeling confident enough! Edward (my dog) and I slept in it one n ight last week (35 degrees) and we were snug as bugs!!. 'Til Later, Jane
JaneV
Teardrop Builder

Postby droid_ca » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I love the security camera idea how about mounting it likr a periscope might work better for a standy or if you had a roof rack I was going to use a rear view camera that is mounted on the licence plate of both the trailer and the tow vehicle so I'd see any surprises cause I live in big bear country and being able to fire up the truck to startle something away might be a good idea
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Time Out » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Droid,

Thanks for your comment on the camera system. I must admit I feel a lot more secure now with a couple more months of recover from my surgery. I am now beginning to think my need for a camera system might have been a little overkill, but then again you never know. We now have our 6 Wide at our home and have been adding little things to make it our own and even though we haven't slept in it as yet, don't feel as vulnerable as I thought I would. Our first camping outing will be the last couple of days of this month in the Sequoia National Park, CA (also Bear country) and I am getting anxious. I am finally in less pain and in a better frame of mind!

I looked at your album and fell in love with some of the 'large' unusual tiny trailers! What do you personally pull to camp in? Did you build it?

All the best to you,

Clyde Ramstead
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby droid_ca » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 am

no trailer as of yet but I 'd like to do a tiny house style but without the sharp pitched roof then as for a teardrop I was thinking about a slightly taller version of one kinda a cross of the rondack lodge / campster12 due to needing to have space for a bird cage I 'd really like a standy as well as a vardo but for the time being I 'm just drawing them up with pencil and paper until I find the right design for me

to sum it up too many ideaa not enough time or money
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:54 am

Ladies (and gents), it's time to refresh our "camping and security" thread. Anyone have any close call stories they want to share, or, new security advice? Let's chat...
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Was just thinking I should reread this thread. Haven't been out yet this summer but hope to this month.
When alone I do state parks as you have to check in, often with a ranger. Always have them put two people on campsite, set up two camp chairs and will put a half empty pop bottle in one, simple things like that. Keep my car keys close by and easily reached so I can hit the alarm if needed. Big black lab great dane mix for company.
Stay alert and enjoy.
I enjoy the parks midweek when they are pretty empty,
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Verna » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:21 pm

This is a great thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only solo female camper, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes precautions for my safety.

I've tent-camped alone and with my sister for years. My sister is the first one to to laugh at me about keeping a hammer next to me in the tent, but she's also the first one to wake me up and ask me what that sound was 8)

Some things that I do is to always carry a red Swiss Army knife on a keychain with a small whistle and an LED flashlight. I carry that all of the time, and especially at night when going to the restroom in the campground. In some campgrounds, I break the rules and take my Shih Tzu with me to the restroom--granted her mouth wouldn't be large enough to bite someone badly, but a dog barking is a good way to warn 2 and 4 legged creatures of our presense.

I always lock my camper door if I am asleep in it, or if I have left the campsite. I really don't like the idea of someone being in my camper who isn't supposed to be there. Yes, locks are for honest people, but I am bothered less by other campers than I am by some of the people I've seen renting motel rooms.

I normally leave my hammer on the picnic table during the day. I've used it for the tent pegs for the screen room, so it doesn't look out of place. It could be used to protect myself, and, yes, if you watched me put the tent pegs in the ground, you know I know how to use a hammer!!

Other things that have been mentioned are good ones: keep the key fob for your vehicle with you, make sure you get the campground's telephone number and put it in your cell phone, make sure your cell phone is always charged, etc.

Oh yeah......the most important thing is not live in fear. We're out here enjoying ourselves and most people are honest and helpful.

Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Time Out » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Becca, I apologize for taking this thread 'off course' with the comments in my last post.

Linda and I did finally did get to camp for 3 days in our 6 Wide LG a couple of weeks ago. We didn't know what to expect as far as feeling vulnerable in a small TD in a National Park Campground, but we had a wonderful time camping. We took our Australian Shepherd dog named Bear with us.

I really liked the suggestions Karen and Verna had to offer when they camp. This thread really got my attention as I was just out of major spinal surgery when I ran across it and was feeling very incapable of taking care of my wife, myself or problems while camping should they arise. I am now seven months out and while I still have at least another year of recovery, I feel much more in control, but still take no chances either. Thanks for letting me be a part of your topic!

Clyde and Linda - Squaw Valley, CA
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Clyde, no apologies needed. We are all camping family here and talk about whatever comes to mind. And I have a feeling Linda could handle herself very well with all the suggestions posted on this thread. You just get yourself healed but don't overdue it...just wash the dishes for her when camping and let the wife take care of the boogey man! :lol:

Karen and Verna, I'm glad to hear that others carry "weapons", and by that I mean things that you wouldn't automatically think about - a hammer for instance.

I also set up two chairs at my campsite even if I'm camping solo. One thing I haven't done yet but I want to is get a CD or something with a BIG dog barking on it. That would make me think twice about trying to break into someone's camper.

As far as locking the doors, hell yes lock em'!!...that's what locks are for. I lock mine every time. I really don't want any surprises during the night.

I can't stress it enough to 'be aware of your surroundings', even when camping at safe, clean family-friendly campgrounds. I camped one time at this really small but clean county park. There were only two other campers and one of them was camping in his truck. There was just something about him that creeped me out big time. I made sure to get my bathroom needs done before dark and got in my Teardrop and didn't get out.

Another thing to have is confidence! Don't ever act or seem helpless - if you need help find someone you trust, like the Ranger or camping buddies. Trust your instinct - I have in a couple of non-camping related situations and thank God I did.

I hope I don't sound like a paranoid crazy person because I'm not. Well, at least not paranoid anyway but 'crazy' is questionable. :lol:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:I hope I don't sound like a paranoid crazy person because I'm not. Well, at least not paranoid anyway but 'crazy' is questionable. :lol:

Becca, Do you really want us to respond to this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 pm

rbeemer wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:I hope I don't sound like a paranoid crazy person because I'm not. Well, at least not paranoid anyway but 'crazy' is questionable. :lol:

Becca, Do you really want us to respond to this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nooooooooo.......:no: :no: :no:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Ladies (and gents), it's time to refresh our "camping and security" thread. Anyone have any close call stories they want to share, or, new security advice? Let's chat...

In addition to bear spray, my dog, extremely bright Surefire flashlight and Fox-40 survival whistle, I now also have in my teardrop: an axe.

It's in there primarily because it was as good a place as any to keep an axe. A really sharp "shaves the hair off your arm" axe.

It would also come in handy should an uninvited arm come through the doorway.

I would imagine the sight of an axe in close proximity could be nearly as formidable as the sound of a shotgun being pumped.

;)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers