Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 pm

JaneV wrote:
egglady wrote:Thanks for all the helpful info i'm going to go camping alone with the tearjerkers group and will be alone. just finished building my teardrop with A LITTLE help from hubby. so ladys if you want a teardrop camper and you want to build it.
YOU CAN DO IT I KNOW YOU CAN.
:applause: Wow! What a woman - congrats on your Teardrop. I am a new 'Dropper - will be traveling solo with my dog Edward. Hope to see you at a gathering. Jane

Jane, there is another Wyoming camper on the forum named "Slowcowboy". I think he lives in the Riverton, WY area.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby T@Baker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 pm

I went camping last weekend for my first outing this season. Since the CGs are still operating on "off season" there is no camp host and very few campers. I had no way of obtaining a number to call for someone onsite.

I was the only one in my loop, and there was one other in the next loop over. It was just my dog and I, but I kept the truck key fob handy. It's probably been posted on here already, but if you feel someone is messing around outside your tear, push the panic botton on your tow's key fob. With the lights flashing and horn blaring, surely it would scare them off.... :o
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby peggyearlchris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

Crystal that's a real good ideal. I have not gone camping alone yet. I would like to some day.I would have my dog with me. :thumbsup: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

T@Baker wrote:I went camping last weekend for my first outing this season. Since the CGs are still operating on "off season" there is no camp host and very few campers. I had no way of obtaining a number to call for someone onsite.

I was the only one in my loop, and there was one other in the next loop over. It was just my dog and I, but I kept the truck key fob handy. It's probably been posted on here already, but if you feel someone is messing around outside your tear, push the panic botton on your tow's key fob. With the lights flashing and horn blaring, surely it would scare them off.... :o

Great advice. I do that at home, too. Apparently the panic alarm will go off until your battery dies.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby stumphugger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Is this silly? I've shot rifles since age 10. I have a packrat that has moved into the woodshed. So, today I bought a small 410 shotgun to try to kill it with. While shopping for that, I saw some air guns. I purchased a small hand gun, that pumps up and shoots pellets hard enough to also kill the rat.

Now, I was thinking about taking the pellet gun along in the Teardrop. I do need to practice with it as I am not a handgun person, rifles and shotguns are what I am familiar with.

I figure I could "put their eye out" if my big Lab didn't scare a bad person away.

I usually have a knife with me, and at home, I keep an ice axe by my bed. I don't keep the big shotgun loaded because after having come home (years ago) and finding somebody was in my house when I got home, I found myself sleepwalking and woke up once packing the shotgun around in my house.

Back to the breakin--The first thing I did when I realized somebody had broken in, was go see if they stole my 12 guage, (they didn't) pumped a shell into it and jumped out the door trying to find the jerk. I didn't find him. Nor did the cops.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 am

My theory on carrying a weapon (gun) in my camper or vehicle is that it is never pulled out unless I have to defend my life and I would never pull out an air/pellet gun to scare someone off. If you have to pull a gun out, you better be ready to use it.

There are so many other safer methods of scaring away intruders of human and animal kind and the majority are listed here on this thread. Hearing a BIG dog bark would scare the heck out of me if I approached a Teardrop/Trailer at night. And you don't have to own a dog - you can do the barking yourself. One thing I thought was a good idea was leaving a very large, slightly chewed up plastic "dog" bowl and chain near the camper. It's just like those "THIS HOUSE PROTECTED BY ABC SECURITY ALARM" signs...it makes you think before you act. (Or at least I hope it does). :roll:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby stumphugger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:46 am

I don't have to pretend about the big dog, I've got one that travels with me most of the time. 80 pounds of drooling Chocolate Labratry. Here is a picture of him in his native habitat.

I've just tried out the air pistol. Hmmmm. Not suitable because one must keep the barrel elevated or the BB falls out. However, it is an intro to pistol shooting. It may be a good backup or handy for dispatching the packrat. Much more suitable than the Dirty Harry replica gun that a friend told me to shoot with. One can work their way up to the bigger calibers more slowly.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Keep a can of Wasp Spray handy to spray into the eyes of any two legged or four legged critter that gets into your trailer or tent or home. It will hit its target from up to 20 feet away (which means you don't have to get close enough to allow the invader to try to take away your weapon) and it will give you time to get at all those other weapons, if you need them. Even if the 'critter' is wearing glasses, it will hamper vision, putting a blurring film on the lenses and dripping down into the eyes. The natural reaction is to stop and try to wipe the chemicals away.

Caution: Please recognize that wasp spray may permanently damage vision unless it is washed off soon after being sprayed into a being's eyes. But, then, a gun may permanently damage life, too, and bullets can't be washed off. :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby honeask » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 am

Good idea Sharon, I think I have heard about that from a safety demo one time. I'm not sure if I would worry too much about hurting them if someone was breaking in to get me. Wonder if they make that in purse size. :lol:

Sandy
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Nicki » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 pm

I've got this plan. I want to camp in a teardrop long term. By long term, I mean I'd be camping for about 2 years or so and traveling the country. I wouldn't spend more than 2-4 months in one spot before moving on to the next location. I'd probably be spending time off and on at friends houses, spending the night, but not wanting to impose for months at a time, the camper would be homebase.
I'm 24, but won't be starting this trip for about 2 years, since I have a job I can't quit right now. I'd also be bringing a (on the large side!) dog along with me.
Being a long term camper, this narrows down my choice of campgrounds, and I can't afford to be picky. Also, since it would be year round, I certainly can't count on a large group of fellow campers all the time.
So my question is, how safe is this? I'm not scared, but I don't want to be naive, either. I don't own a gun, but I wouldn't be adverse to getting one and learning to use it. (obviously for emergency situations only) Is this a bad idea? :thinking: :R
Nicki

"The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead, the road has gone, and I must follow if I can." -JRR Tolkien
Nicki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iplay10us2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Nicki wrote:I've got this plan. I want to camp in a teardrop long term. By long term, I mean I'd be camping for about 2 years or so and traveling the country. I wouldn't spend more than 2-4 months in one spot before moving on to the next location. I'd probably be spending time off and on at friends houses, spending the night, but not wanting to impose for months at a time, the camper would be homebase.
I'm 24, but won't be starting this trip for about 2 years, since I have a job I can't quit right now. I'd also be bringing a (on the large side!) dog along with me.
Being a long term camper, this narrows down my choice of campgrounds, and I can't afford to be picky. Also, since it would be year round, I certainly can't count on a large group of fellow campers all the time.
So my question is, how safe is this? I'm not scared, but I don't want to be naive, either. I don't own a gun, but I wouldn't be adverse to getting one and learning to use it. (obviously for emergency situations only) Is this a bad idea? :thinking: :R

Nicki: Go read my friend's blog, and contact her.

http://alisontravelsblog.blogspot.com/

She has traveled around in her teardrop and her tent for months and months at a time. She could give you some good tips. She also has beautiful photos of her trip. If you are on Facebook, she also maintains the page: We Can Do It: Women Who Camp. Check it out, too.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm

key fob and a 90lb dog People tend to judge large black dogs as mean, no idea why, but it is one reason I brought this boy home. Maybe being black they look bigger than they are or the snarling white teeth look larger surrounded by black. I make sure the husband know my plans and I call him several times. I know where I do and don't have service most of the time.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Image You and only you can decide from day to day if you are safe. As for a gun---my advise to my sister was "get trained first, then decide if you are able to really shoot someone."

There seem to be quite a few RV parks here for those who are staying longer. Usually there is a camp host or two so there is company too...Just be friendly with them and the Rangers and you should be fine. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Time Out » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I hope you ladies don't mind another man joining in on this interesting topic. My wife and I will be joining the Tear Drop community with our purchase of a gloss black Little Guy 6 wide which will be delivered to Fresno, CA in about 3 weeks. Photos to follow! This will be our first 'off the ground' camping experience.

I am nearly 4 months into my difficult (at age 65) recovery of major back surgery in which 15 vertebrae were fused - T2 to L4. Muscle spasms are a way of life right now! I mentioned that in order to convey my insecurities as a man at this time in my life, especially when camping in that little Tear Drop in unfamiliar surroundings. We will have solid, tinted doors that lock tight and black privacy blinds and black carpeted interior walls to make it difficult for someone to see in if we had to peek outside. But I still feel vulnerable. Has anyone thought of installing a 200 degree or 260 degree door peep hole perhaps in the front of their trailer so they could view the tow vehicle (if parked in front) or other activity that might be going on?

I am also going to rig our 'over the door' led lights to switch on from the inside also. We both used to carry concealed years ago, but it got so difficult and expensive to carry in California that we have not renewed...but there are a lot of interesting hiding places to be found and creatively utilized in a Little Guy!

We used to motorcycle camp a lot with our 2 bikes and a cargo trailer. One night we set up our tent under a light in the middle of a public park in Jackson, CA...up on Hwy 49 in the Gold Country after an exhaustive days ride. It was about 1:00 in the morning when we were awakened by a couple of guys talking and shaking our tent. Both our hearts almost stopped beating! The only thing I had with me in the tent was a knife, so I cautiously made my way out of the tent to see what was up. Thankfully, as it turned out, the guys were locals, and had had a couple of beers and were curious about the motorcycles and just wanted to chat.

Thank you for letting me join the fun and gain valuable information as well,

Clyde and Linda :D
I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down.
Time Out
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 pm

:thumbsup: Image to the playground Clyde and Linda! My sympathy for your back. It will get better I hope. My son in law has a bunch fused and it gets better. He is still working. You might start out with some of the group campouts to get a feel for your Little Guy!

Remember everyone, if someone opens your door against your will flip and kick! Your feet will give you the time to think. Doesn't matter who opens your door cause the police will announce and I certainly will. ;) And ditto the key fob. That car honking at night will surely bring people. They might want to kill you though.. 8) ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers