Is Christmas too comercialized?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Is Christmas too comercialized?

Postby mandy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:39 pm

I was saddend this week to find that there were incidents of people getting hurt or killed while Christmas shopping this last Friday.

To me Christmas is all about spending time with Family and Friends. A time to be together and enjoy each others company. Some times I couldn't afford gifts for every one so I would bake every one some cookies, or make them a little gift from my heart. Now that I can afford to buy gifts, I think this year I will choose to bake them some cookies or something. I just don't want to buy into the whole comerical aspect of Christmas this year. Am I wrong? Are there any others who feel like I do?

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Re: Is Christmas too comercialized?

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:50 pm

mandy wrote:I was saddend this week to find that there were incidents of people getting hurt or killed while Christmas shopping this last Friday.

To me Christmas is all about spending time with Family and Friends. A time to be together and enjoy each others company. Some times I couldn't afford gifts for every one so I would bake every one some cookies, or make them a little gift from my heart. Now that I can afford to buy gifts, I think this year I will choose to bake them some cookies or something. I just don't want to buy into the whole comerical aspect of Christmas this year. Am I wrong? Are there any others who feel like I do?

Mandy

Mandy,

I agree, and I feel the same :thumbsup:

Chocolate chip cookies will be fine, thanks :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Endo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 pm

mandy wrote: I just don't want to buy into the whole commercial aspect of Christmas this year. Am I wrong? Are there any others who feel like I do?

Mandy

We try our best to limit the commercial aspect of the holiday and celebrate the real reason for Christmas.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby mandy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Endo wrote:
mandy wrote: I just don't want to buy into the whole commercial aspect of Christmas this year. Am I wrong? Are there any others who feel like I do?

Mandy

We try our best to limit the commercial aspect of the holiday and celebrate the real reason for Christmas.

You and me both Endo.

Mandy
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
mandy wrote:I was saddend this week to find that there were incidents of people getting hurt or killed while Christmas shopping this last Friday.

Mandy

Mandy,

How chocolate-chocolate chip sound Steve?

Mandy
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Endo wrote:

Mandy

:thumbsup: +1

I wasn't raised with Christmas as a commercial day. We absolutely did not do the gift and lights---and certainly not the tree..........I don't think it hurt us.

Oddly enough my parents never put the celebration down for others and would even take us to see the lights. We just spent that time with family and learning the real meaning of being thankful. ;) :lol:

Now with Mike it was a different story. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 pm

mandy wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:

Mandy

Mandy,

How chocolate-chocolate chip sound Steve?

Mandy

Mmmm chocolate- chocolate chip, that would be nice. Thanks.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, a 34-year-old Wal Mart employee was trampled to death. :o

And, yes. I find Christmas to be little more than a consumerfest.

But, it didn't get that way without our consent. Every year it gets more commercial, and every year Americans buy more and more stuff. Even with this year's recession, analysts still expect a slight rise in Christmas spending.

Like Walt Kelly (Pogo) said, "We have met the enemy... and he is us."

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Creamcracker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 pm

I struggle with the whole aspect of commercialization on a daily basis - not just at Christmas. As my life has unfolded I have been challenged by opportunities.....you see I am an Episcopal priest serving half time at a small, and growing congregation, and half time at www.blueridgeschool.com as the School Chaplain....(before that I was a full-time chaplain at a Military School in the Midwest for 16 years, over 30 years in ordained ministry in total) Those 2 positions take up a good 40 hour week.....however, over the last couple of years I have become increasingly involved in the retail industry(as I mentioned on another post last week) and now serve as a member of the management team for a Kohl's store in Virginia...that takes care of another 40 hours of the week! Most days of the week I go from the role of ministering to peoples needs (wedding/funerals/baptisms/personal crisis/etc) to driving sales/credit/customer aquisition at the store. Obviously it's quite a change of pace. I think though that I am better at ministering to people because of my retail experience. I also like to think that I bring a calming influence to the store...a sense of perspective of what is really important in the lives of all of us who interact in that fast paced environment. (P.S. up at 4.30am tomorrow to be at the store by 6am as the opening manager!) In the midst of the madness to buy the latest and the greatest gift this year I just have to remind myself that ultimately these things are of little importance, by keeping focussed on what is truly important one can remind others also.

Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby mandy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:17 pm

caseydog wrote:

Yeah, a 34-year-old Wal Mart employee was trampled to death. :o

And, yes. I find Christmas to be little more than a consumerfest.

But, it didn't get that way without our consent. Every year it gets more commercial, and every year Americans buy more and more stuff. Even with this year's recession, analysts still expect a slight rise in Christmas spending.

Like Walt Kelly (Pogo) said, "We have met the enemy... and he is us."

+1
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes, Christmas is too commercialized. And to top it off, all the money we spend at the stores goes right back to China instead of supporting the local economies.

So fight back this year. Instead of buying things at the store, give you and yours a vacation. A camping trip, or a motel/hotel/resort trip. Not only will you be creating wonderful memories (don't forget the camera), you'll be supporting the local economy instead of China.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:08 pm

mikeschn wrote:Yes, Christmas is too commercialized. And to top it off, all the money we spend at the stores goes right back to China instead of supporting the local economies.

So fight back this year. Instead of buying things at the store, give you and yours a vacation. A camping trip, or a motel/hotel/resort trip. Not only will you be creating wonderful memories (don't forget the camera), you'll be supporting the local economy instead of China.

Mike...

:o Oh that is an excellent idea! :thumbsup: Don't forget the local craftsman too.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Eunice » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 pm

I enjoy the lights and decorations but I have never gone overboard with the gifts. Celebrating the birth of Christ is most important in my live.
I am not one that now says Happy Holidays....It is Merry Christmas for me
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Endo wrote:

Mandy

Amen. More power to you and your family
We have gotten to the point in our family where we don;t need anything --really. so we make donations to missions and charities in the name of loved ones. They do the same for us. On Christmas we get together, enjoy each other and tell what has been given in their name. Fun! It may not be for all, but it is a joy for us. No Christmas crowds or shopping. Advent is very peaceful.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby stbuch » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 pm

All our kids are grown and we have discussed the fact that this year we will keep Christmas spending low (except for the food of course). My youngest is still a newly wed and I did buy her a vacuum because she needs it but otherwise we are just mostly going to hand out and enjoy being together. Two of my kids don't live in town anymore and it is so great when we are all under one roof.
:)

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers