First Solo Camp for Lady TearDropper!

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:16 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:It looks like the doggy babies enjoyed the campout too! I too have been trying to go to different campgrounds. I am going to a new one next weekend called Highlands Hammock in Sebring, FL. I've been to 5 different ones so far in Florida. My two favorites were Manatee Springs and Ft. Clinch.

I think we should start a new topic where we rate campgrounds that we visit. Give the pros and cons to help out future campers. Hmmm...I think I will.

Becca:

The dogs did have a good time. They got to eat hot dogs that I cooked over the fire just for them, and pieces of steak one night. I took them hiking, and let Dixie (the white dog) walk in lots of mud and water because those are 2 of her favorite things. Abbie got to go kayaking with me and she seemed to enjoy that.

I like the idea of rating campgrounds and would be interested in the reasons behind the ratings. For me, the pluses of this campground were how clean it was, hot showers with good water pressure, friendly staff, hiking trails, campsites with nice tables, grills, and fire rings, shade, and good camp office with a decent selection of items to purchase. The only negative for me was that quite a few of the campsites were close together, and I don't like the feeling that I am camping almost on top of the next site. For some people, a negative would be that the nearest town for any forgotten or otherwise needed supplies is about 20 miles away. This is really not an issue for me because I usually bring everything I need and then some.

I haven't decided if I am going camping next week or will be headed to my cabin, but I am going somewhere because the weather looks like it will be nice.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Susann is there a special technique to use when putting the easy.first up?

Marilyn
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 am

fireaunt wrote:Susann is there a special technique to use when putting the easy.first up?

Marilyn

Marilyn:

Well, I practiced several times in my yard before getting more comfortable with it. Here is what I do, though:

1. Stand it up in the area where I will want it.
2. Push up the part at each corner that locks the top.
3. Stake one leg into the ground.
4. Go to the opposite leg and start walking backwards to get it open some.
5. Put the canopy on before it is fully extended.
6. Walk around pulling on each leg until it is fully extended.
7. Start extending the legs. I usually just do the first notch on a leg, go to
the opposite leg, raise it one notch, and then do the other 2 legs the
same way. After I get to the 2nd notch, I duck under and attach the
canopy to the frame and the corners before it gets too high. I just
repeat until it is the height I want.

I can do it by myself in about 10 minutes so that isn't too bad.

Have fun with it.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 am

Your canopy cover will probably last longer than mine, but I leave the cover on when I close it so We don't have to put it on each time. Notice the we 'cause I have never tried to put it up by myself.

:applause:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm

I don't leave my cover on either but it's just a personal preference. I haven't set mine up alone yet but it's a bugger to set up with 2 people. It's 14'x14'. Susann is right about staking one leg down first, even with 2 people putting it up it should be done.

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for a weekend campout. The weather is looking perfect so far. I'll post pictures when I get back.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Becca don't forget the big dog chain and food bowl if you are going by yourself. :lol:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, mine is a 10x10 and I don't think I could do a 14x14 by myself, and I 12x12 might also be too hard.

I don't find putting the canopy on or off that difficult for me so that is why I go ahead and take it off the frame.

I am out of town for the next few days, but am not camping. I am at my cabin at the confluence of the White River and the Buffalo National River, so it is almost like camping. I am watching hundreds of gold finches fly through the meadow here. I am going to trout fish, kayak, and do nothing for the next few days.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby annalbs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:06 pm

i didn't find the canopy too hard to put up myself. i used my niece to hold it while i pulled but a stake would have worked just as well, and wouldn't have gotten her fingers caught :cry: :oops: anyway we always take the cover off cause it makes it easier to pack. i think it all just takes practice. the more you do it the easier it gets.
annalbs
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Ladies. I have made this a sticky with Anna's blessing so all the ladies can post their first solo pictures. I am thinking mine doesn't count since I took a grown daughter and some pretty big grand kids. :) We are planning another chick day this year. This one will be roughing it and free. 8)

Thanks for the info on the 1st up. I need to try at home because I needed help pushing the button in last time it came down. :( Need some stakes. :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

You go, girl !!!

Postby Carol Reed » Sat May 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Although my granddaughter is 18, she and I, along with the dog, are setting out across the US for 3 weeks. I am not sure if I am brave, or just nuts !!! I just bought my tear, and I am really excited to hit the highway for the first time.

See you ladies along the way.....
FL Carol
2013 Camp-Inn 550 #609
Carol Reed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fireaunt » Sun May 03, 2009 1:04 am

Carol, sounds like a wonderful adventure. When my dad took my nephews to the olympics in the 80's they had a pop-up camper. He told them what the budget was and they got to figure out where they would spend it - what kind of accommodations - places to eat and sight seeing.
BTW, I like your teardrop. Tell us about it. Just one comment, after reading about gawkers rear-ending teardops, maybe you could add a reflector or small break light a little higher up on the back of yours. Aesthetically it might not be pleasing but all the rear-end collision discussions have made me worried. Of course, I'm a factory trained worrier. :(
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 am

Carol:

Sounds like great fun. Take lots of pictures.

I am heading out at the end of this month with my 2 dogs and going to South Dakota. My first stop is in the SE part of the state at Lake Vermillion Rec Area for a few days, then I head to Custer State Park almost a week. My sister from KY is flying into Rapid City to tour around with me, but she will be staying in a hotel. I am not sure what route my return trip home will be yet, but am thinking either through Nebraska or the the eastern part of Colorado.

I have thought about adding stick on and battery operated flashing light like bicyclists use on the back of my tear for better visibility, but haven't managed to do it yet.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Re: You go, girl !!!

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 03, 2009 9:39 am

Carol Reed wrote:Although my granddaughter is 18, she and I, along with the dog, are setting out across the US for 3 weeks. I am not sure if I am brave, or just nuts !!! I just bought my tear, and I am really excited to hit the highway for the first time.

:thumbsup: Blog time! :thumbsup: What a great experience for you and your granddaughter.

Susann, flashing lights might violate a law. You can get the aftermarket third brake light or some reflectors like the Europeans use.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby fireaunt » Sun May 03, 2009 1:42 pm

maybe you could get one of those big orange triangles like tractors have :lol:

Remember --this is the lady teardropper thread--we can poke fun at ourselves, the guys can think whatever the want but we do approach problems in different ways. :)
fireaunt
500 Club

Re: You go, girl !!!

Postby Joanne » Sun May 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Carol Reed wrote:Although my granddaughter is 18, she and I, along with the dog, are setting out across the US for 3 weeks. I am not sure if I am brave, or just nuts !!! I just bought my tear, and I am really excited to hit the highway for the first time.

Hi Carol!!!

Joanne here! I haven't gotten around to sending you a note since last weekend, but I wanted to say Thanks for coming out to the Boy Scout Expo! Although it was a long day, it sure was fun. It seems like doing the turkey dinner has become a tradition. (a fun one at that)

Is the trip still on? You sounded a bit concerned that your GD might be miffed at you. I really hope that you two make the trip and have a great time. :thumbsup:

Be careful and have fun!

Joanne

P.S. - taking any Dutch Ovens along? :lol:
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers