How Important is the Kitchen to a Teardropper?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Warning: In areas that bears frequent, do not plan on using a crockpot unless you'll be around, minding it all day. :roll:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 pm

We have a small crock-pot that we also using in the truck while we're traveling. It's great for long trips and when you arrive, your meal is done.

I haven't thought of the bear while cooking with the crock-pot....Hmm :thinking:

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby EventPlanner » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

Good point about the bears, not an issue here in Indiana :-)
EventPlanner
Teardrop Inspector

Foam mattresses?

Postby Kelleyaynn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Aren't those foam mattresses HEAVY??? Seems like not what you'd want to put in a TD. I have a foam mattress in my bedroom, as does may son. They are heavy things. Wouldn't think the WalMart version would be much lighter, if at all (my son's came from IKEA).

Oops, wrong thread. Don't know how to move a post, so I will just copy it to the right one.
Last edited by Kelleyaynn on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelleyaynn
Teardrop Master

Re: Foam mattresses?

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Kelleyaynn wrote:Aren't those foam mattresses HEAVY??? Seems like not what you'd want to put in a TD. I have a foam mattress in my bedroom, as does may son. They are heavy things. Wouldn't think the WalMart version would be much lighter, if at all (my son's came from IKEA).

Walmart's "Spa Sen." is 46.5 pounds in a full size.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

You can get regular foam and it weighs much less.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby robertaw » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
For me, I wanted to be able to park on a city residential street or in a parking lot, if need be, and would be uncomfortable, opening up the galley of a teardrop after dark or really early in the morning.

By putting in a small kitchenette, I can be assured of comfort when I need or want it.

:thinking: This has me reconsidering the whole kitchen thing. (I had planned to eliminate the kitchen from our rebuild)

We are planning to take this trailer on a cross country road trip in a couple of years and perhaps may spend the occasional night in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

This is one of the things I love about being on this forum. It's great to get other people's input on things I may not have thought about myself! :thumbsup:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 pm

You might consider a portable kitchen. There when you need it. I have a single burner hot plate for those inside days. Haven't used it yet. I am thinking seriously about a single burner induction cooker. Just to keep from burning myself.
http://www.cookware.com/Hot-Plates-and- ... 40561.html
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby hausfrau60 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Just finished my K.O.W. (kitchen on wheels). It is only a consolation to not being able to build the teardrop, but it sure is nice. My Camp Chef oven will sit on a table next to it, and I'm making a fold-up sink with a spot for the Coleman Hot Water on Demand. As a bonus, the KOW fits right inside the door of the tent trailer. The biggest drawback: very heavy. That's why I put wheels on it, and why we had to use an old burley bike trailer as a wagon to haul it up from the basement (out the back and up the side of the hill!).

Image See more photos at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/beligera/KOWChuckBoxPatrolBox#
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Galley?

Postby jan4peace » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, my hubby built a galley in his design. He says it is for me to do all of the cooking on :( My philosophy is that, as queen of his teardrop, I reserve the right not to cook while on vacation. Vacation = sandwiches and other food to eat at the beach. Besides, last year, I couldn't drag him away from the pier long enough to enjoy a well cooked meal.

We attempted to grill his "catch of the day" on our first night of our tent camping adventure last year. I'm still not sure what it was that we cooked...something sort of oozed out of the fish in the cooking process....not sure what it was, but we shared a bowl of cereal instead of eating that. As a new wife, I'm also new to this cooking for my husband thing, but I make a mean salad. There is nothing better than a nice green salad and a bag of boiled peanuts for lunch or supper in my opion. Very little mess!

I welcome any "easy" recipe suggestions for our maiden voyage in our newly built td-like thingy if you would be so kind as to send them my way :) I want to be a dutiful tder wife.

Happy tears!

Mrs. B
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:58 pm

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=16

Got a whole bunch of them and tell your new hubby camp cook can and often is of the male gender!
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Thank u!

Postby jan4peace » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:35 am

I like that idea of him cooking once in awhile and, I have to say, he is great with a bbq grill. I'll try out these recipes. Thank u!
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bc toys » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:37 am

Mrs B tell hubby there are men that cook when me and my wife go camping I get to cook when we 1st started camping I told her it was my job to cook and clean now she has started to clean and prep more often wish I don't mind but I did not ask her to she just can't stand not doing something. Get him a 12"DO and a bag of charcole and tell him its your JOB have fun.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 pm

The other place to check out is Camp-cook (see link above). Major cooking is actually a big part of camping for us. There is nothing like cook out food camping. Nothing tastes better than bbq or dutch oven meal outdoors. And the galley makes it easy. My first thought when I read this title was the kitchen was the most important reason for building a teardrop. But as I rethink it, for me the kitchen is a place to have everything stored so I don't have to pack it up everytime. It is still very important, and I love my big counter. but my sink is and always will be two dishpans. And although my stove is stored in the galley, I use a table to cook on, or soon, a table that is attached to the TD via a hitch receiver type system. So a kitchen area is still really important to me, but not as the self contained place to cook. I loove cooking outdoors, so the outdoor aspect of a kitchen was a huge appeal (versus an indoor "standy" kitchen).
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby gerry boucher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Kitchen is very important to me

gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

Postby ashkanr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:15 am

gerry boucher wrote:Kitchen is very important to me

Wow! That's a real kitchen!