Hubby has finally come around...

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Hubby has finally come around...

Postby Kelleyaynn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:07 pm

I've been thinking about building a teardrop for a while now, and within the past month pretty much decided I want to. However, my husband is less than thrilled with the idea. I think he's where I was at months ago when it seemed like an overwhelming task to build a tear. But after lots of reading and research, I've come the conclusion that if other people can do it, so can I, and it doesn't look THAT hard. Well, last night he whined about not wanting to have anything to do with building a teardrop, yet deciding that he would be ticked off if I built it and he didn't have input. So essentially I wasn't allowed to build one because HE didn't want to. :x So this morning I was getting ready to really let him have it when he said that he'd like to be part of it, he just "needed to get his head wrapped around it." Meaning he needs to see that it won't be too difficult.

Poor thing. Now that he's more or less given me the green light, I expect we'll be up to our ears in teardrop building by the spring. Whether he's ready or not! :twisted: He's my second husband, and we haven't been married long enough yet for him to realize that once I get started on something, there is NO stopping me. He'll soon learn.... :lol:

But now I'm excited, and can't wait to start planning in earnest.
Kelleyaynn
Teardrop Master

Re: Hubby has finally come around...

Postby gullywompr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Kelleyaynn wrote:once I get started on something, there is NO stopping me. He'll soon learn.... :lol:

But now I'm excited, and can't wait to start planning in earnest.

You go girl! Keep him straight.
Cheers,
Curtis Olson
gullywompr
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:47 pm

One thing I like to suggest to new builders is to visit an owner/builder and try one on for size. When I was in the early stages of my build, my wife just couldn't envision it. She said that it just looked like a bunch of sticks. I got in contact with a local fellow and visited him while he was still building. I got a bunch of good tips and advice because he had just gone thru it. After that visit, my wife could better see the big picture.

I've had several people visit me, during my build and after.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mwallace61 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Hang in there Kelly... you'll get him trained eventually! :twisted:
mwallace61
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chorizon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:26 pm

asianflava wrote:One thing I like to suggest to new builders is to visit an owner/builder and try one on for size. When I was in the early stages of my build, my wife just couldn't envision it. She said that it just looked like a bunch of sticks. I got in contact with a local fellow and visited him while he was still building. I got a bunch of good tips and advice because he had just gone thru it. After that visit, my wife could better see the big picture.

I totally agree Kellyann. My build was foundering somewhat until i went to a gathering last summer to just visit with a bunch of the wonderful folks from SC and see their awesome creations! Very inspiring!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 pm

chorizon wrote:
asianflava wrote:One thing I like to suggest to new builders is to visit an owner/builder and try one on for size. When I was in the early stages of my build, my wife just couldn't envision it. She said that it just looked like a bunch of sticks. I got in contact with a local fellow and visited him while he was still building. I got a bunch of good tips and advice because he had just gone thru it. After that visit, my wife could better see the big picture.

I totally agree Kellyann. My build was foundering somewhat until i went to a gathering last summer to just visit with a bunch of the wonderful folks from SC and see their awesome creations! Very inspiring!

Mike and I went to a camp and he was definately not into that small. I built a big one. He did help and a lot more than he thinks. The lifting and holding really goes better with a helper. You can however do it alone if necessary. Just remind him how he will feel when you go camping and he gets to say my wife built it........ 8) :lol:
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 pm

My husband was into woodworking before we built our tear. He needed a lot of convincing to get started. He was worried about working with aluminum and with the electrical work.

Thanks to my creative nagging..........um persistance... we got er done. Now its his proudest accomplishment.

I think having plans from Kufflecreek helped.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Just remind him how he will feel when you go camping and he gets to say my wife built it........ 8) :lol:
personally I couldn't think of anything cooler than to be able to brag of such a thing..
afreegreek
500 Club

Return to Lady Teardroppers