Helpful household hints.....

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Arne » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 am

I backed into my g/f's car, side to side on the bumper (my left rear to her right front, both plastic), left a smudge, no real damage..

I've used scrubbing bubbles on lots of stuff, so I sprayed it on the black smudge... it came off... then I polished it... all gone..

I mention this because I've used it on my van's leather upholstery to get rid of stains, etc.... always worked well with no damage.. where nothing else would do it.

Like they say try it on a small area first to check....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 am

Arne wrote:I backed into my g/f's car, side to side on the bumper (my left rear to her right front, both plastic), left a smudge, no real damage..

I've used scrubbing bubbles on lots of stuff, so I sprayed it on the black smudge... it came off... then I polished it... all gone..

I mention this because I've used it on my van's leather upholstery to get rid of stains, etc.... always worked well with no damage.. where nothing else would do it.

Like they say try it on a small area first to check....

I love scrubbing bubbles. I used it today on my carseat to get soda splatter off.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby PanelDeland » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:14 pm

I use "Green Alcohol" to clean windows.Costs abot 50-75 cents a pint and works way better than commercial glass cleaners because it leaves no streaks.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm

PanelDeland wrote:I use "Green Alcohol" to clean windows.Costs abot 50-75 cents a pint and works way better than commercial glass cleaners because it leaves no streaks.

Rubbing alcohol? Is it green in color or is that the name of it?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby vikx » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:52 am

Super Glue. It is great for split fingers and fingernails. My doc suggested it after my hands went bad in the winter. Just a little dab, then file with an emory board to smooth.

It only works on dry splits, not weepy sores. A handy item to have on hand. Wally World sells a "finger nail polish" style that has a little brush in it.
vikx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alan and Lianna » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Vinegar takes stains out of laundry, and when added to the rinse cycle whitens better than bleach and replaces fabric softeners. It also when mixed with equal parts of water--cleans glass with no streaks, cleans grease better than 409....I could go on.

I bought a book and have been testing the theories. With nothing but vinegar, baking soda, cream of tartar and alcohol....there is absolutely no reason to ever buy another cleaner
Don't just dream about it!
Wake up and make it happen...
Alan and Lianna
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Do you have to cut the vinegar with water when added to the laundry? I have those front loading washer/dryers (ones that look like the laundry mat kind) so I guess I would add it where it says put the bleach. Do the clothes smell like vinegar?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:13 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Do you have to cut the vinegar with water when added to the laundry? I have those front loading washer[b]/dryers (ones that look like the laundry mat kind) so I guess I would add it where it says put the bleach. Do the clothes smell like vinegar?

I don't have a clue, Becca, but as pretty as you are, no one will ever notice. [ ;)
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:36 pm

steve smoot wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:Do you have to cut the vinegar with water when added to the laundry? I have those front loading washer[b]/dryers (ones that look like the laundry mat kind) so I guess I would add it where it says put the bleach. Do the clothes smell like vinegar?

I don't have a clue, Becca, but as pretty as you are, no one will ever notice. [ ;)

I think they'd notice if I smelled like a pickle. :lol: (thanks for the sweet compliment)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Alan and Lianna » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 pm

No diluting. Add 1 cup of straight vinegar to the rinse cycle. There is not any odor at all. It makes clothes softer and no need for "downy" type products. It also reduces lint in the dryer. I was very skeptical and now I use it for just about everything. There is just about nothing that you cannot do with it and it's really cheap. It cleans jewelry and appliances really well too. This book was a really fun read.

Lianna :beautiful:
Don't just dream about it!
Wake up and make it happen...
Alan and Lianna
Teardrop Master

Postby GeenGrey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Alan and Lianna wrote:No diluting. Add 1 cup of straight vinegar to the rinse cycle. There is not any odor at all. It makes clothes softer and no need for "downy" type products. It also reduces lint in the dryer. I was very skeptical and now I use it for just about everything. There is just about nothing that you cannot do with it and it's really cheap. It cleans jewelry and appliances really well too. This book was a really fun read.

Lianna :beautiful:

Hoping I'm doing this post right. Hi! I use vinegar and those other 3 ingredients and essential oils for everything too. Always have. You've got me curious now, what's the book you read?
GeenGrey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby happy phantom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 am

I use denture cleaner tablets to clean out thermoses, vases, stained kettles, percolator coffee pots, anything that gets stained and you don't want soapy residue flavoring the pot for the future. I had an enameled cast iron dutch oven that got stained and I threw about five tablets in with HOT water and left it soak overnight-stains were gone!
happy phantom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mell On Wheels » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

steve smoot wrote:
I clean the stainless steel face of our refrig, microwave, stove and dishwasher with WD-40. It removes all finger prints and smudges for the stainless steel. WD-40 also cleans aluminum, and it is easy on your hands.

Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) is absolutely great for cleaning windows, stoves, microwaves, refrigerators, faucets, stainless steel... you name it (and it kills germs). And, it's CHEAP. I put a spray nozzle right into the 16-ounce bottle and just spray it on the surface, and wipe it off. It cuts grease and makes it sparkle like you wouldn't believe!

:thumbsup:

That is awesome information! I always carry a lint roller in my laundry bag. I'll be sure to try that (because we have gone through a nest of those little critters).
.................. ... ¦exploring this great country of ours, pulling a little teardrop camper behind us.
http://mellonwheels.wordpress.com
Mell On Wheels
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deceiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 am

Not household but camping hint.
Live in a colder climate and have access to bio or eco bricks? They usually sell them at places they have firelogs and wood pellets.

You can't transport firewood anywhere today and it's expensive at campsites. Biobricks are compressed wood the size of a brick. They come nine in a brown wrapper. Drop it in the fire ring, light the paper and have a fire for 2-4 hours depending on how much air hits it.

Endorsed by the National Parks association. About the same price as home firewood (not the pricey stuff they sell at capsites) and neatly packaged.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Mell On Wheels » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm

deceiver wrote:Not household but camping hint.
Live in a colder climate and have access to bio or eco bricks? They usually sell them at places they have firelogs and wood pellets.

You can't transport firewood anywhere today and it's expensive at campsites. Biobricks are compressed wood the size of a brick. They come nine in a brown wrapper. Drop it in the fire ring, light the paper and have a fire for 2-4 hours depending on how much air hits it.

Endorsed by the National Parks association. About the same price as home firewood (not the pricey stuff they sell at capsites) and neatly packaged.

Interesting! We just got home from a five-state road trip. Like you said, we couldn't transport firewood from state to state and it wasn't always easy to find (except at the campgrounds). Man, they're proud of their firewood at those campgrounds. And, Florida State Parks won't let you use anything off of the ground, for kindling... not even pine cones. :(
.................. ... ¦exploring this great country of ours, pulling a little teardrop camper behind us.
http://mellonwheels.wordpress.com
Mell On Wheels
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers