Helpful household hints.....

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby bonnie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:35 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Do you have to cut the vinegar with water when added to the laundry? I have those front loading washer/dryers (ones that look like the laundry mat kind) so I guess I would add it where it says put the bleach. Do the clothes smell like vinegar?

I've been using straight vinegar in my wash for about a year. It doesn't smell. I use a softener ball thing. fill it 1/2 way with white vinegar and presto, soft clothes without all the residue.

I have also been making my own laundry soap out of naphtha soap, arm n hammer washing soda and 20 mule team borax. Cost effective and very kind to my skin.

Cheers,

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby deceiver » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:11 am

Mell On Wheels wrote:
deceiver wrote:Not household but camping hint.
Live in a colder climate and have access to bio or eco bricks? They usually sell them at places they have firelogs and wood pellets.

You can't transport firewood anywhere today and it's expensive at campsites. Biobricks are compressed wood the size of a brick. They come nine in a brown wrapper. Drop it in the fire ring, light the paper and have a fire for 2-4 hours depending on how much air hits it.

Endorsed by the National Parks association. About the same price as home firewood (not the pricey stuff they sell at capsites) and neatly packaged.

Interesting! We just got home from a five-state road trip. Like you said, we couldn't transport firewood from state to state and it wasn't always easy to find (except at the campgrounds). Man, they're proud of their firewood at those campgrounds. And, Florida State Parks won't let you use anything off of the ground, for kindling... not even pine cones. :(

We did a 2 month, 12,000 mile trip last year. Hit most of the major national parks. I brought 20 packages of biobricks. Some days we used half, some a whole package, and a lot of days it was too hot to make a fire. But they lasted us the entire trip.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby Mell On Wheels » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm

deceiver wrote:We did a 2 month, 12,000 mile trip last year. Hit most of the major national parks. I brought 20 packages of biobricks. Some days we used half, some a whole package, and a lot of days it was too hot to make a fire. But they lasted us the entire trip.

OH... I'm so jealous! We had a ball! It's the longest trip we've taken, and the only "road trip" where we stayed at several different campgrounds. I would just love to spend 2-months. Maybe in about 5-years, after retirement. :)
.................. ... ¦exploring this great country of ours, pulling a little teardrop camper behind us.
http://mellonwheels.wordpress.com
Mell On Wheels
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deceiver » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Mell On Wheels wrote:
deceiver wrote:We did a 2 month, 12,000 mile trip last year. Hit most of the major national parks. I brought 20 packages of biobricks. Some days we used half, some a whole package, and a lot of days it was too hot to make a fire. But they lasted us the entire trip.

OH... I'm so jealous! We had a ball! It's the longest trip we've taken, and the only "road trip" where we stayed at several different campgrounds. I would just love to spend 2-months. Maybe in about 5-years, after retirement. :)

That's when we did it.. retirement.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers