New Screens for Doors ~ Updated Galley Wind Screens

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

New Screens for Doors ~ Updated Galley Wind Screens

Postby SandyD » Sun May 09, 2010 12:51 am

Today I made screens for my doors. I purchased the screen material last fall and finally got around to making them........

This is the view with the door open,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And this is the view with the door closed,,,,,,,,,,,,

I made the upper portion to match the curtains. I tried taking a picture from the outside looking in but I couldn't even see the screening.

Now I'm working on wind screens for the galley so when I'm cooking on the stove top, the wind isn't blowing the fire out. I have the fabric cut out and that's my mother's day progject.

Sandy
Last edited by SandyD on Sun May 09, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby doris s. » Sun May 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Sandy that's great. I'm going to make screens for my doors too. I was thinking of using velcro above the door to hold the screens in place. Our TD is so small that I think a rod would be in the way. I love your valance though!

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 09, 2010 9:40 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks great! After the last trip to the lake I think I need one and a zapper.........
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby SandyD » Sun May 09, 2010 11:14 pm

I did use velcro above the door. I looked at a rod system but the mounts come out too far leaving a gap at the top for the skeetters to get in through.

The back, sides and bottom of the valance are all black canvas. Only the inside front of the valance has the curtain material. I used a flexible screen material from Ace Hardware, just brought in the measurements I needed and purchased by the yard.

Now here is my mother's day project,,,,,,,,,,,, I made side wind screens so when I use the stove on a windy day, I can cut down on the cross breeze blowing the flame all over the place.

I choose blue as my ez-up is blue and I just went with it. The other colors were fire engine red, hazard orange or blinding yellow.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by SandyD on Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby doris s. » Mon May 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Sandy those wind screens are great. I sure could have used those this last weekend. We were camping in 30 mile an hour wind gusts.
How do you attach the wind screens to the td? Velcro as well?

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby SandyD » Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am

Doris ~ I did use velcro for the wind screens too. You can see on the hatch there's a strip of insulation running down the outside where the wood meets when the hatch is closed. I placed the velcro on the inside. Where the velcro meets is still less height than the insulation strip so they don't meet. I put one at the top, one at the bottom and a smaller piece in the middle.

The sticky velcro sticks great to the wood but i'm expecting the velcro on the nylon to fail eventually so I carry a tube of marine epoxy (single tube not the plunger type) for when that happens. I didn't want to buy two sets, one sticky for the wood side and one sew for the nylon.

I made the pattern by taping freezer paper together and taping it to the hatch opening and penciling the exact opening. I added 1 1/4 inch for the hem and velcro application.

Sandy

ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby Eunice » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 am

doris s. wrote:Sandy that's great. I'm going to make screens for my doors too. I was thinking of using velcro above the door to hold the screens in place. Our TD is so small that I think a rod would be in the way. I love your valance though!

Doris

this is what I did. It works fine for us
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby doris s. » Tue May 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for explaining how you made the wind breaks Sandy.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Sandy,

Great Job on the windscreen and skeeter screen! :thumbsup:

If you have access to a sewing machine, you could stitch the velcro to the material and then you wouldn't have to worry about glue failure on the nylon.

See you at ING3!
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby SandyD » Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I have access to the sewing machine alright (three of them actually). My best sewing machine, the Bernina, didn't appreciate the full service glue that's on that velcro backing and after breaking, bending or mucking 4 heavy duty needles, I gave up. I figure when the glue gives out I may be able to sew them then ~ but my luck will be that it happens in the middle of camping somewhere, when it's wet and windy. Thus the small tube of marine glue that they use on boats !!

Possibly I should have purchased the sew on in the first place and then epoxied the trailer part but that thought came to me after the fact. Isn't that always the case??

I will be at ING and you can check everything out.

Did you get your trailer yet???

Sandy
Sandy

ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby mcspin50 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Trailer will come home from Fargo behind the minivan on Saturday. I'll pick up a couple sheets of plywood and some 2x4's while I'm in the big city so I can start the base. I can hardly wait!

:banana:

Duh, I didn't think about the GLUE factor! Well then, you could always go low-tech and sew them on by hand, or even just tack them in a few strategic places. :eyebrows:
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Return to Lady Teardroppers