Little Fix-it Problems on my new 08 Silver Lil Traveler

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Puppybreath » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 pm

I can't seem to find and get rid of the caption below my nic that says "teardrop builder". It's so far from the truth it practically made full circle. :lol:
Any body tell me how to set things straight?
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 am

I believe that has to do with how many posts or how long you've been around the forum LOL.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Re: The Podium Thing

Postby Nathan N » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Puppybreath wrote:The podium thing houses the 20amp Converter with Battery and Exhaust Fan. I think the Little Guy models have the Converter tucked away in a lower cupboard now. That, of course, frees up the counter. The counter ISSS crowded. I can't put a 2 burner coleman in there and my model is the 5x10. As I've read in this forum, the 5x10 galley is spacious compared to the 4 or 5x8 but, the Converter on mid-line sure does cramp the space.

I don't want to whine (puppy) too much though because guess what... I HAVE MY OWN LITTLE TEARDROP... :applause:
Tricia

As stated earlier the battery doesn't live in the "breadbox" the converter does. The explanation I received was the converter could no longer be located down in the cabinet and had to be accessible and close to ventilation of so many inches (can't remember detail) in order to be RVIA certified. Earlier models did have the converters mounted below in one of the cabinets.

I don't know if the newer Lil Guy and Pleasant Valley venture models are still designed that way or if they are aiming for RVIA certification.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Puppybreath » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:07 am

:thumbdown:
having the converter in the center of the galley means a 2 burner coleman won't fit in the unit.... bahhhh humbug...
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearhead » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:22 pm

We have an older 2 burner coleman and just put it in the cabinet on the lower left. It would make a mess, we think, to cook in the galley anyway. We normally put the stove on the picnic table to cook, but then stash it away in the cabinet along with the griddle. Had thought of doing a side table attachment, but instead bought a metal collapsible table off Amazon. I think you'll get used to the galley after you camp with it a bit.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Galley

Postby Puppybreath » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 pm

You know what. You're right. It would be messy cooking in the galley. :shake hands:
)))
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am

Yes I really do think so. Seems like people who have custom-made deeper galleys don't cook in them. I look at the galley as a great place for storage or a little buffet or to make a sandwich and do simple food prep, but it's kind of nice to get the actual cooking away from the teardrop. Less danger of fire, too.

Mark and I took a trip from Wisconsin to the Smokies recently, and we hit a gathering on the way back (our second). We decided after looking at the other rigs that we're totally happy with our Lil Traveler and wouldn't really change anything. It just totally works for us. We did purchase the roll-up metal table and a shelter.

One thing you might want to invest in is an O2Cool battery powered fan from Walmart. We have a small one, which so far has been adequate and only cost $4. I hang it on a string from the window latch. We bought the bigger version prior to our trip south but never had to use it. If you're camping in cold weather (don't remember where you're from), you might consider an electric mattress pad.

Now I'm on a quest to find little canisters that will fit on the galley shelf but be less than 7 in. high, so as not to interfere with the hatch closing. Another thing I did was buy a hanging organizer at Walmart in the school supplies section. It's green but comes in brown, white and I think yellow, too. It is canvas with pouches and four hooks on the bottom. I hang that from the canopy and can stash dishes in the pouches and hang cups on the hooks (or potholders or tongs, or whatever. Very handy. I hang it from S hooks from the frame of the shelter.

Also decided to try full size sheets even though it's a queen. There was too much tucking. The full fitted sheet fit but I haven't actually slept on it. yet.

Have you camped in your Lil Traveler yet?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Camping

Postby Puppybreath » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm just getting ready now to leave Vancouver for Alberta. I've camped a lot in my friends driveway and I just love the trailer to bits. So does Hunter my whippity whippet.
It's wonderful to hear that you've looked at a number of teardrops and come away feeling pretty satisfied with your Lil Traveler.
The fan and mattress sound like good ideas. Walmarts in Canada don't seem to be as well stocked as Walmarts US.
I've found that old Lipton Tea cans fit perfectly on the top shelf of the galley. That may be a more British/Canadian product though. They look old fashioned or vintage and can be picked up second-hand.
I can't quite get the picture of the hanging organizer. Sounds great though.
Thanks for the tips.
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Bed Bath and Beyond has a bunch of short canisters. Some even have lock down lids. Here is a 26 oz that is only 3 1/2" high.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... KU=101266&

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Galley canisters & cooking

Postby Blumie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Ooh, Puppybreath, I wonder if you'd consider sending one of those Lipton tea tins over the border? At least post us a photo to give us a clear idea, please? I use a mix of specialty food tins (e.g., 1-pound coffee cans) & clear plastic storage containers (60-oz Lock-n-Locks from Wal-Mart) on the galley shelf. My Dear Sweet Husband prefers see-through containers to matching canisters, and he makes 98% of our breakfasts & lunches. Having coffee served in bed in the teardrop is the ultimate in camp living, IMO, so see-though it is!

To respond to your survey of whether TDers cook in their galleys, put us down for setting the stove outside the trailer. We put it inside the galley, on the ice chest lid, to roll down the road. Then it goes on the campsite picnic table or on a portable table we set up, or (last resort) on a collapsible stove stand that's better used to hold a Rubbermaid Roughneck tub of kitchen gear. I invite you to check out my album here, there are a couple pix of galley use. I have a Facebook album with more: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... eef57bf547
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Miriam, I looked at those last week at Bed, Bath and Beyond! They're nice, and do come in open stock (as opposed to having to get a whole canister set, one of which would surely be too tall. At the time I inspected them, I was still trying to find some squared-off ones, to try to get more into the space. Plus I thought they were kind of pricey. Coleman has some similar ones, but with little lanterns on them (for more money--should have picked up the BB and B ones!). :? Now I'm trying to figure out if the Coleman canisters will fit on the shelf--can't find the dimensions anywhere. With the lantern on, they're kind of cute. Here's a link:

http://www.summitcampinggear.com/foodstorage1.html

They look basically the same except for the lantern design.

I'm feeling kind of relieved that others are thinking about this stuff, too! I should be working on something more critical than the perfect canisters for the teardrop! The thing is, with a teardrop, the galley gets lots of visitors, and I want it to look good!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:09 pm

:o They are pricey but you are getting steel instead of tin. You can get square candy/cookie boxes at the hobby stores, and they even have wooden boxes that might do. I think the good stuff is just more expensive these days...cheaper labor=higher prices=more profits... I look through the antique sites so I will keep an eye out for square stuff..... 8) good excuse huh.

Ahhaha they do make them in acrylic. Might shop around though shipping is a bear.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... d=86285581

OXO has some so you might check where they are sold near you.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 pm

:oops: Tupperware!!!!!! :lol:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tearhead » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Boy are we on the same shopping itinerary! My stop right after BB & B was Michael's Crafts--I could have sworn I had seen something just like the acrylic ones you just posted, in a craft store somewhere. Thought of the wood ones too, but didn't see any in there. Maybe I'll check Hobby Lobby.

The salesperson at BB & B tried hard to sell me on the Oxo canisters, but they also were pricey, seemed to waste a lot of space at the top due to the sealing mechanism, and I had just seen a broken one (even though they are supposed to be sturdy) on the shelf at TJ Maxx. She thought I was nuts, I'm sure, for wanting a squared, unbreakable, inexpensive canister.

I like the ones you posted here. And the see-through idea could be good! The metal ones would be sturdier and they do have clear lids so you can see what's in 'em. Lots to choose from.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:06 am

Using an AGM battery solves that problem, they will not leak even if the case is pierced. More to the point any conventional deep cycle battery needs to be vented as they put off hydrogen gas during recharging. this is one of the advantages of the AGM as they are recombinant and vent only a very small amount and do not need to be vented.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers